8pack Hypercube - build log!!

Associate
OP
When you set up your cards in water cooling builds shawy what do you prefer serial or parallel?

Parallel.
In my own systems, I even put the CPU in parallel with 2 GPUs - that's just for aesthetics though.

On to today's update - been a while since the last one as I was away on holiday, but it's a good one!

And it starts with this rather blurry picture:
5ztYw4T.jpg

As this case came pre-assembled, some disassembly was required.
fSItVIV.jpg

Midplate marked out
2D5QwwH.jpg

and cut
fqjqlto.jpg

close up of the holes, cut with a stepper drill bit
iGBuXhD.jpg

and the best hole I have ever cut
sqllavt.jpg

couldn't have been any more accurate. :D
hdpzsgh.jpg

also mounted the Aquareo to the back of the motherboard tray
CpxIkMZ.jpg

Now on to my favourite part.. The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed 8 circular markings on the mid plate arranged in 2 squares.. but how many of you realised those were mounting holes for the pumps?!

L4zFTxb.jpg
TADA!

This originally started out as a joke, but the more I saw it, the more it made sense.
hYrytEY.jpg

They fill up some empty space, as well as cleaning up the tubing runs o3hohYF.jpg

And they used the pre-existing cable management holes to make things easier.
iMWBpvQ.jpg

Testing to make sure they're level
fWhNebf.jpg
The bench was not.

But the pumps were
mSU0YXN.jpg

That's it for this update - though I would like to plug my own personal build log that I have just completed. Click the sig to take a look. :)

Soldato
Well that is different!

Just wondering if you consult with the customer on all the modding throughout the build process? So you started out joking with them but they liked it and that was that!

Associate
OP
Well that is different!

Just wondering if you consult with the customer on all the modding throughout the build process? So you started out joking with them but they liked it and that was that!

Yeah, 8pack is in constant contact with the customer to let them know what's goin on and to keep them updated. All part of the 5atar service. :)

That looks amazing, had no idea those pumps worked when sideways?? May have to alter my build now... :D

Yup, as long as they're not starved of water, then can be used in any orientation. Some bay reservoirs even mount them upside down, though that's not recommended outside of those reses.

Associate
OP
Any more updates? Pretty please? :D

Yeah, sorry. Didn't realise it had been so long since an update. :eek:

On to the tubing
bAdchkB.jpg

As always, I get myself into very tight spaces.
ku7f25q.jpg

It was hard enough to cut the tubing down there
kOuFoxU.jpg

And it turned out impossible to fit it, so I had to remove the fittings from the rad to fit the tubing on
WCkLND1.jpg

And then refit the fitting - one of the many benefits of rotaries!
APeFvqJ.jpg

And here you can see the nice short, hidden run
wec0Op2.jpg

The disadvantage of hiding the tubing from the front of the case, was the tubing needed to be routed from the other side of the rad. Multi port rads would have been great (if they'd fit), but rotaries and extensions are the next best thing.
YoklhMx.jpg

This run went across the radiator
5x09T1g.jpg

to the GPUs
izclPRJ.jpg

Back to the other side
0rvPhxK.jpg

The HDD caddy had to be modified to fit the tubing through
OL0ea8g.jpg

No kinking
FWUtdJK.jpg

and the first loop is finished.
Wn6YDCX.jpg

For the second loop, I had to remove some fittings to fit the tubing on once again
j4om1Mh.jpg

for another piece of hidden tubing
U8RImLi.jpg

Perfect. :D
565rLFx.jpg

and from the other side
IvZdoM9.jpg

I originally wanted all vertical lines here. But the blocks just don't line up. So I thought I'd keep things parallel at least
1V1lR5o.jpg

and at the other end of that tubing is another tight squeeze
dgjU1zI.jpg

I'm not sure which was harder: trying to fit the tubing onto the fitting, or trying to take a picture through the case
meN6xE6.jpg

Again, I had to remove the rad from the system to fit the tubing
qVuAll7.jpg

Worth it though.
l97K17S.jpg

Some more tight spots linking the rads together
s1tqYsL.jpg
rlxbnGJ.jpg

And some more rotary fittings
pisFgPn.jpg

And there's loop 2 done!
Nug35o9.jpg

As you can see, or rather can't see, everything is nice and clean with most of the tubing hidden from view.
s9kIAYM.jpg

Just got to fill her up next!

Associate
Jesus thats... insane how much tubing thats using! And how much modding of the case you had to do. And how much fluid is that going to take to fill up??

Did you plan it beforehand or just play it by ear? :D

Associate
OP
A lot of thought must have gone into planning that.

Did you plan it beforehand or just play it by ear? :D

Most of the first day of this build was spent measuring, test fitting, and just sitting on a stool staring at the case. I do put a lot of time and effort into these big builds, and I'm glad you guys can tell. :)

I knew from the start I wanted the rads facing the wrong way to hide the tubing, and then the rest sorta fell into place. When I said earlier about mounting the rads on their sides being a joke - it was more of a "I need to mount the reservoirs like this to make everything come together, but that's not the normal way to mount a res". It cleaned up the tubing massively and filled a huge empty space inside the case, and just happened to be an unconventional way to mount the reservoirs.

Sometimes you've just gotta think outside the box - but keep the watercooling inside the box. External set ups are just yuk. ;)

Associate
OP
That is really rather brilliant, cant wait to see it filling up etc.....a vid would be fantastic lol.

As 8pack said, the system has shipped and I didn't record any videos. There really wouldn't be that much to see, most of the tubing is hidden in the back section. It wouldn't be very exciting.

Nice build, but shouldn't those holes be grommeted?

They can be, but there's no real need for it. All of the holes were filed down nice and smooth and touched up with some black paint (not that you can see it).

Back
Top Bottom