8TB 870 QVO

Soldato
But it's still fast compared to HDDs. And when you're constrained by 10 GbE beyond a certain point it doesn't matter. Now, once you get into higher bandwidth networking and serious data-munching that's different, but for an ordinary rack, it doesn't need to be more than good enough.

Soldato
But it's still fast compared to HDDs. And when you're constrained by 10 GbE beyond a certain point it doesn't matter. Now, once you get into higher bandwidth networking and serious data-munching that's different, but for an ordinary rack, it doesn't need to be more than good enough.
I guess it's different for all of us and the kit we use at work - but I don't think my place has purchased a server with spinning disks for at least 3 years. Servers were getting from HP/Dell/Quanta have something like a SATA SSD mirror (or SATA DOM) for boot with a read focused SSD from Intel or Samsung (despite the label on the drive saying Dell or whatever). Local storage in the servers themselves is usually mixed use NVME or SATA drives.

Spinning disks in big storage arrays is almost a thing of the past for our place to - our arrays are now pretty much all pure flash.

Soldato
I can't see a serious use for these in the enterprise space other than some kind of cold storage system for very rarely accessed data - and even then I don't think these would be reliable for that. Not sure they even have PLP?

Content delivery + streaming servers. We have servers running multiple 10Gb links, some up to 120Gbps backed by all SSD storage.

Soldato
I give up - I can't see why anyone who knows there stuff will be using these specific QVO drives in the enterprise space - fill your boots and good luck :D

I just gave you a real world example of enterprise use

It is substantially cheaper to use EVO/PRO/QVO drives and replace them if/when they fail as opposed to starting off entirely from DC (i.e. PM883 and PM983) grade.

8x £1400 = £11200 of "enterprise" drives
or
8x £830 = £6632 of QVO drives.

Soldato
But the enterprise drives will have better read and write perf, much more consistent perf, much higher endurance, better support when it comes to storage controllers - and the PFY can be sent into the DC to mess things up replacing drives much less frequently.

Cheaper outlay - but false economy

870 QVO 8TB - endurance 2880TB
PM883 7.68TB - endurance 10932 TB

The other bits of the spec are equally telling.

Soldato
We've a good few thousand EVO/PRO/QVO drives in production use and only had to replace probably 20, tops, in the past 5 years due to total failures or diminished performance.

If you're only running a few servers or are writing consistently 24/7 sure, but when you're deploying hundreds of servers of which many may not even come close to the rated endurance in their project lifetimes, there's certainly a good use case for not using DC drives. Even more so when you calculate the differences between deploying consumer + enterprise grade SSDs from the outset.

The latest LSI + Adaptec controllers work fine with them but if you're restricted to Dell or HPE marked hardware only then yeah you'll probably find an issue here or there.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But the enterprise drives will have better read and write perf, much more consistent perf, much higher endurance, better support when it comes to storage controllers - and the PFY can be sent into the DC to mess things up replacing drives much less frequently.

Cheaper outlay - but false economy

870 QVO 8TB - endurance 2880TB
PM883 7.68TB - endurance 10932 TB

The other bits of the spec are equally telling.

2880TBW is still quite substantial for consumer uses. My OS drive for example was an Intel 480GB 730 series which was bought 6 years ago and has written 250TB, that's with it being the main OS drive.

I actually just bought this 870 QVO 8TB to replace 2x internal 4TB HDDs (document storage and media). There's no way I will ever get close to 2880TBW this side of the decade, by which point I'll be looking at upgrading to even larger storage so will switch to whatever is out then.

Normal mode:
Samsung-Magician_rapid-off.png

Rapid mode on:
Samsung-Magician_8tb_rapidcomp.png

Not sure if I actually need Rapid mode as the drive is storage only I guess. There was a new firmware for it too.

Soldato
I don't understand the need for massive fast storage.
I have a 240gb SSD sys drive and a cheap 1tb SSD storage drive.

It's huge.. I can have several big games installed. I don't see the point in having more than four or five games installed at the same time... They just take up drive space and you can always re-download them?

Man of Honour

It's huge.. I can have several big games installed. I don't see the point in having more than four or five games installed at the same time... They just take up drive space and you can always re-download them?

1.2tb is not huge. I've got about 60tb attached to my machine right now, admittedly some of it is/was for chia but even before chia was a thing I had several 8tb drives as vm datastores and a total storage footprint of about 25tb with about 6tb of that being nvme/sata ssd storage. There are plenty of reasons beyond a few games why people may have a silly amount of storage I am just one of those nutters, my main c drive is a 2tb nvme array which frankly would be enough for most people. It used to be that I wouldn't uninstall games much because my old weak 80Mbps line but since I got gigabit Internet that no longer applies.

Permabanned

Storage, so you mean games in your case use scenario?

Outside the OS I have 1x 1TB 860 Pro for games, I have 2x 4TB 860 Evo's for Storage (all rest of files inc movies/tv shows/music so a lot), then a Raid 10 Ext back up of the Storage drives incase of failure

Permabanned

The only reason I have a larger drive is because downloading games can take forever these days.

Soldato
its not just about speed - its size/ power usage/ heat & noise etc etc that NVME will improve over spinning disks

Ive been wanting to change my Plex server to NVME for a while now (Im on 25TB used of ~30TB storage) and before covid really thought it would be viable next year maybe 2023, but because of Covid (and a few factories which got destroyed a year or so ago) I have a feeling it maybe a while longer before costs really come down.

Believe me there are plex users out there that have much much bigger libraries than mine (and mine isnt even fully raided either).

I also tend not to write a lot to my server until I have quite a bit to rip - so will probably go 10GB network at the same time - if that isnt default by then (given a lot of mobo's are coming with 2.5G now already)

Back
Top Bottom