1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9 year old boy kills sister over video game dispute

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by computer2268, 23 Mar 2018.

1. computer2268

Associate

2. andicole0

Soldato

Guns and bad parents. Simple.
    Andi.

3. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

The computer game is completely irrelevant, it could have been over anything!.

9 yr old with a gun! what the holly ****!

Last edited: 23 Mar 2018
  4. andicole0

Soldato

Predictive text gone a bit wonky I think :)
    Andi.

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I was only thinking this morning that the main plot device in so much American TV and Film is the gun. Is it any wonder they/we have generations that glorify guns and violence so much. Sadly I must include myself in that as a child of the 80's who like many my age enjoys a good action movie.

I have difficulty separating the societal woes that cause this from the negligence of the parents.

So sad.

6. computer2268

Associate

I asked the question in relations to Trumps attempts to blame video games instead of guns.

7. SC0TTRS

Wise Guy

haha, damn phone! :D

8. sigma

Capodecina

Bullet proof vests for kids?

9. darreny

Mobster

Is the gun irrelevant then as he could have used a knife or heavy object?

10. asim18

Capodecina

Well you can, but I doubt he would have used a knife or heavy object to kill.

A gun is completely instant, there is pretty much zero time between pulling a trigger and someone's brains being splattered everywhere.

A knife takes relatively far longer, and this extra time is vital in increasing the chances of the child coming to realisation that he doesn't actually want his sister dead and that he just needs to vent a small amount of frustration.

There are also other factors to consider like was the gun just lying around somewhere, and would the knife also be lying around nearby or would the child have had to go to the kitchen to get the knife or? This is why guns should be kept locked away, the owner of that gun is an irresponsible ****.

Even more so for a heavy object, you would need to expend a lot of time to kill someone with a heavy object especially someone who is older and stronger it would probably be impossible.

11. darreny

Mobster

It still makes it irrelevant to me and it's the anger of The child that is the issue and media content he's seen or behaviour learned from parents that getting a gun is his first thought.

12. TallPaul1878

Wise Guy

I don't know what the fuss is about. Americans have always been like this.

They don't want to lock their guns away in strong boxes when not in use. They want to leave them on the coffee table, fully loaded or under their pillows. If that means a few kids get their brains blown out from time to time then so be it. That is the life they have chosen.

It's like choosing to live in Chicago or Detroit and complaining that you've been shot in the belly during a carjacking. You make your bed and you lie in it.

13. sigma

Capodecina

I doubt that was the life/death that the girl chose...

14. kindai

Soldato

I believe the correct American response would be to give the sister a gun to defend herself.

15. TallPaul1878

Wise Guy

Kids don't get to choose. They are at the mercy of their "responsible adults".

I've had a discussion with an American about gun ownership before and it's impossible. There is no reasoning with them, even reasonable suggestions like having a gun cabinet or a locked drawer is met with "MUH EBIL GUN GRABBERS".

This particular tragedy could so easily have been prevented if the parents kept the handgun locked away in a safe place away from the children but it appears that this is just far too much to ask of the average American

16. mrbazmondo

Hitman

Why stop at guns? Why not just give every citizen their own nuclear button. Then when one person gets angry they can destroy the entire world. Remember, nukes don't kill people, people do, so its perfectly safe for everyone to have them.

17. LOAM

Capodecina

Kids fight over everything, if it wasn't a controller it would be the TV, books, chocolate or anything. This comes down to irresponsible parenting, it's not so much a gun was on the property but that it was freely accessible to a nine year old.

18. pmc25

Wise Guy

The generally accepted age at which kids are usually able to fire guns (handguns or mounted rifles) at gun ranges in the US is 4 or 5 years old. A few it's 8-10.

A lot of parents start familiarising and indoctrinating kids with guns practically as soon as they can walk. There are even kid rifles / shotguns that sell millions of units a year.

19. BowdonUK

Mobster

Bad parenting. But also society too.

Kids are being made to grow up too fast.

20. D.P.

Caporegime

This is rubbish. Kids used to be married at 11-13, had children 13-15, went to war at 12 etc.

I actually believe in the opposite. Children are allowed ot be children much longer, which is OK, but when combined with bad parenting that is not instilling correct values and behaviors then that leads to socially unacceptable behaviors later on.

But the bottom line is gun ownership is ultimately responsible. Withoyt a gn they would have just wrestled with each other , thrown the controller and huffed off etc.