£900,000 to paint a plane?

Soldato
This is the current interior for the VIP section of the Voyager -

Ddt8GcV.jpg

The aircraft compartment that the PM, Queen, people representing the UK to foreign dignitaries etc currently uses is just a bog standard "1st class" compartment from any airline - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...m-force-one-vip-jet-for-ministers-and-royals/

Be great if they go full blown on the red, white and blue theme. I'm thinking of union jack printed seats, carpets and flags on the ceiling.

Soldato
I would love to know which countries base their international trade agreements on the colour scheme of the guests plane.

" Shall we open up our beef industry to the United Kingdom sir?"
"What colour is their plane"
" It's grey sir"
" Are you crazy man!? Cancel the deal immediately and start trade negotiations with Jamaica, they had a fun looking plane!"

Associate
This is an awful thread to read. People need to grow up and stop throwing insults at each other so that people can genuinely debate and discuss issues. It always ends up with people attacking each other. Very tedious.

Soldato
Symbols are part of soft power, when any UK official gets off it and has their photo taken there is the flag on VIP transport. It implies that the UK is a top tier nation. You can debate the truth or not of that but projecting the symbol is all about making it true.

Soldato
I would love to know which countries base their international trade agreements on the colour scheme of the guests plane.

" It's grey sir"
" Are you crazy man!? Cancel the deal immediately and start trade negotiations with Jamaica, they had a fun looking plane!"

Alternatively, "they have a plane that looks as though it's never been cleaned or maintained so they clearly have no idea how to look after things. This may mean they do not pay attention to us in future deals if they treat things shabilly. "

Caporegime
Alternatively, "they have a plane that looks as though it's never been cleaned or maintained so they clearly have no idea how to look after things. This may mean they do not pay attention to us in future deals if they treat things shabilly. "

At least that would be a correct and honest interpretation......

Soldato

" It's grey sir"

lol :D

Soldato
Turning up a military grey aircraft probably does sent the wrong message when we have hordes of NPCs moaning about "colonialism" and long past evil empires.

Caporegime

" It's grey sir"
the idea is probably every time it lands somewhere it will make headline news like americas presidential plane.

I doubt it though, it will probably end up being mocked in most countries

Soldato
Feels like it costs the same when I paint my boat.

1l of topcoat is about £100 plus another £100 for the converter, and £50 for the thinner. That only covers 6m2

Before that you've got the all the prep-work, and the costs again for the epoxy primer.

Two coats of everything, plus all the accessories.

Still. If I was PM I'd be flying all long distances in hyper sonic planes. Perhaps bring back a fleet of Concorde for use. They could be leased out when not in use. It doesn't make sense spending 8h flying to Washington when you could do it in 3h. Do your business and be back the same day.

Soldato

" It's grey sir"

:D but hopefully not the way the sanaxe1 thinks Government deals work!

Permabanned
Feels like it costs the same when I paint my boat.

1l of topcoat is about £100 plus another £100 for the converter, and £50 for the thinner. That only covers 6m2

Before that you've got the all the prep-work, and the costs again for the epoxy primer.

Two coats of everything, plus all the accessories.

Still. If I was PM I'd be flying all long distances in hyper sonic planes. Perhaps bring back a fleet of Concorde for use. They could be leased out when not in use. It doesn't make sense spending 8h flying to Washington when you could do it in 3h. Do your business and be back the same day.

America is not "at home" to flights from the UK at the moment.... ;) Good to see a bit of national pride though, I would genuinely like to see a Royal yacht brought back, too.

Man of Honour
Symbols are part of soft power, when any UK official gets off it and has their photo taken there is the flag on VIP transport. It implies that the UK is a top tier nation. You can debate the truth or not of that but projecting the symbol is all about making it true.

In that case the plane should be decorated with Gucci belts :) Seriously, though, I agree that it's about soft power. Symbols might be a bit silly, but they matter because too many people think they matter.

[..] Still. If I was PM I'd be flying all long distances in hyper sonic planes. Perhaps bring back a fleet of Concorde for use. They could be leased out when not in use. It doesn't make sense spending 8h flying to Washington when you could do it in 3h. Do your business and be back the same day.

Concorde wasn't hypersonic and it was forbidden to go supersonic over land and it was extremely expensive to run and it was extremely inefficient on fuel (which is an even bigger political deal nowadays). It couldn't be leased out when not in use, partly because you can't lease a plane like that out due to security concerns and partly because Concorde was never financially viable anyway. It's also far too slow. If something is really urgent, you don't have time to spend 3 hours getting to it. If it's not that urgent, you're better off spending 6 hours (not 8 - Concorde was at best slightly more than twice as fast as a normal modern plane) and being better prepared. Concorde was a brilliant feat of engineering and international co-operation, but it wasn't practical in any way.

Soldato

Why is this suddenly only an issue now? Is it because we need all the power we can get now that we're on our own?

Back
Top Bottom