907,511km (563,924 Mile) Mercedes. (52 Plate)

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Personally, no, I think it has potential for hassle - not least becuase its a commonrail turbodiesel with the added complexity they bring.

Mercs quality problems started when they changed the way they built cars. It used to be the case that the engineers would design a new model, and then it would be priced. Then this was changed, so that a price would be decided, and the engineers would design a car to this price.

So we saw a dive in quality from the absolutely staggernigly build of cars like the 89-02 Mercedes SL to the sort of rubbish like the 01-05 C Class. The 96-03 E Class, for example, has serious rust issues. You find me a spec of rust on even the most sheddy SL...

Then of course in the early part of this century cars started to get an awful lot more complicated, this coupled with quality cutbacks spelt disaster for Mercedes.

Some of their ranges kept the quality feel - current SL, the S Class and the CL for example, but were still plagued with niggly annoying faults whilst the lower end of the range just didnt feel like a Merc.

Getting their act together now, which is good, because Mercedes always was a byword for absolute quality - when the world is nuked nothing will exist bar rocks and 89-02 Merc SL's.

Cheers for that.

I had noticed most H plate E class & earlier 190's look a lot tidier than merc cars 10 years newer!

Last edited:
Permabanned
In the words of a Merc Dealership owner, "There hasn't been one screwed together properly since the 190E..."

He said that a couple of years ago...As I said, I haven't heard anything to say they have changed their ways since...

*n

Caporegime
OP
And considering this 52 plate Actros I've had today drove as well as a new Merc Axor (I posted it a while back) that I had on my last job, makes me wonder if the later trucks are not as well built as the earlier ones perhaps?

Mercedes 7.5 tonners (Atego's) are not a patch on the old 814 / 817 of old, those things would not die.

Perhaps, with the Chrysler distraction out of the picture, mercedes will recover what they have lost?

Man of Honour
penski said:
In the words of a Merc Dealership owner, "There hasn't been one screwed together properly since the 190E..."

Well thats a load of bull becuase the early 90's S Class and SL Class were two of the finest built cars the world has ever seen.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Well thats a load of bull becuase the early 90's S Class and SL Class were two of the finest built cars the world has ever seen.

Autocar magazine used to describe the W126 560SEL as simply "the best car in the world" - I worked for a Mercedes dealer on the YTS scheme back in 1987 and have fond memories of those cars.

I'd love a 560 SEC. :cool:

Caporegime
OP
DannyW said:
Are trucks air conditioned??

Merc quality hmm, my mates got a 01 sprinter, 130k and its rusty as ****

Most modern ones (W reg onwards for example) had Aircon available as an option, few have A/C as standard - the bean counters don't like the extra cost of the option itself and, they reckon, it had an effect on the fuel consumption of a 14 litre 400+ BHP diesel lump (given that A/C supposedly saps 2% of power from my BMW I doubt this!)

Sadly, the vast majority of truckers still have to drive with the windows & sunroof open in summer.....

Sprinters drive great but fall apart from underneath you! :D

Permabanned
Volvo Trucks are better.. a lot better.. Been in loads of trucks wih 700K Miles on and they look and feel like the day they were bought

Caporegime
OP
SgtTupac said:
Volvo Trucks are better.. a lot better.. Been in loads of trucks wih 700K Miles on and they look and feel like the day they were bought

Knocking on the door of Scania. ;) :D - My old W reg 124 420 4 Series really showed up the 06 plate Merc Axor that replaced it.

My Volvo FH that I had @ SCA was nice, but, the fact that I went back to the W reg Scanny to me, says it all about which Swede is the better.
main.php

Good to drive.

main.php

Just plain better all round. :cool:

Soldato
I went to look at the new Mercedes C Class Saloon a little while ago and for the kind of money they wanted, the build quality was quite appaling in some places. Certain parts of the dash felt plasticky and plenty of chances of rattles no doubt.
The engine specs were not particularly impressive either so I'm definitely not bothering with one of those.

Caporegime
OP
OllyM said:
Doesn't the increased drag of having the windows and sunroof open actually use more fuel than air conditioning when you're on the motorway? ;) :D

Yes, I'd say it does.

Try telling that to a bean counter who's never been in an HGV never mind driven one for 9+ hrs per day! :(

Associate
I love trucks, i used to work at white's removals and much preferred the scania's, never broke down in one of them. Only ever broke down in the merc's, blown turbo's and knackered pressure pumps for the trailer brakes. I was always a passenger so i can't comment on how each lorry drives.

Back
Top Bottom