907,511km (563,924 Mile) Mercedes. (52 Plate)

Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
Most modern ones (W reg onwards for example) had Aircon available as an option, few have A/C as standard - the bean counters don't like the extra cost of the option itself and, they reckon, it had an effect on the fuel consumption of a 14 litre 400+ BHP diesel lump (given that A/C supposedly saps 2% of power from my BMW I doubt this!)
Air con is standard fitment on Scanias and Merc's now (and volvo's too i think but i can't remember to be honest with you), and the required recharges are part of the contract hire so the bean counters can't moan about the cost.
i've recently completed the design specs for our replacement fleet but unfortunately i wasn't able to offer our drivers air con as the best deal on the table was for Dafs and they don't offer air con as standard.

Soldato
haha @ mercs from that era being good..

my dad has a 52 reg E320 cdi. it has about the same amount of rust as my 95 golf, a lot.

mercs from that era are utter gash.

Soldato
Mercedes did a million miles of testing on new c-class model before it was released. I don't know if it is any better but it seemed to me that a very few people are buying it.

Associate
R124/LA420 said:
I've never been much of a fan of the more modern Merc Trucks, until today that is.

I've just had a most impressive demonstration of German reliability & build quality today - Hell I may even consider a Merc as my next car!

I've been driving a Mercedes 2543 "Actros" today, complete with more electronic gizmos than your average modern car (electronic gear selector, for example)

Its 5 years old and has done a mere 907,511km which indeed works out @ nearly 564,000miles! :eek:

The impressive thing was it drove as well - if not better - than an 06 plate Merc I had with my last job, it was smooth, quiet and most importantly, had plenty of go left in it - most high miler trucks are very gutless.

The only sign of wear is on its drivers seat.

Have a look.

Would you think that wheel had even done 100k?

This has had a lot of truckers sat on it! :D
I'm now very tempted by an 04 plate C220 CDi with a mere 290k on its clock that I know of - priced @ £2k......

Slightly off topic (sorry) Do you work for culina Logistics or SCA?

Associate
Ahh, i see! Just wondering as we have an SCA depot down the road and they're currently advertising for drivers. Just wondered how they are/were to work for? Only trouble being the job is tramping four nights away, currently I'm on days, don't know if i could get used to being away again. Sorry for all the questions :o

Permabanned
Having had a fleet of the smaller mercs in the household over the years i can confirm the C-class from 01 onwards was a real cheap affair.

But if you want proper cheap and nasty, have a drive of the A-class, uglier than a current 3 series, and more pointless than the 1'er.Staggeringly people actually bought this POS, Idiots, including me :(

Soldato
My Friend has a Merc Vito on a W plate. Starting to develop rust patches and I believe it's been resprayed in it's life.

The interior quality is also poor and he said next time he needs to buy a Van he will look at other makes and models, avoiding Merc.

Caporegime
OP
fozzy said:
Ahh, i see! Just wondering as we have an SCA depot down the road and they're currently advertising for drivers. Just wondered how they are/were to work for? Only trouble being the job is tramping four nights away, currently I'm on days, don't know if i could get used to being away again. Sorry for all the questions :o

SCA were an excellent employer - I worked for them for 4 years - sadly for me, SCA Timber supply who I drove for, subbed out their transport to DHL Exel Supply chain.

They (DHL) came in, got rid of the Scanias & replaced them with Merc Axors (akin to going from a 5 series to a Mondeo if you see what I mean) & started to dictate terms after the mandatory 12 months in which they could'nt alter our existing terms & conditions (A TUPE Agreement iirc)

The last straw was a the imposition of a salary which ,for me, resulted in a large pay cut.

Tramping is great, as long as you have no form of social / family life. ;)

I'm currently doing agency work, driving anything from Scania R620's down to Iveco 75E15 7.5 tonners depending on what contract I get put on, I love it & am on far more money than SCA, never mind DHL. :)

Permabanned
Tesla said:
My Friend has a Merc Vito on a W plate. Starting to develop rust patches and I believe it's been resprayed in it's life.

The interior quality is also poor and he said next time he needs to buy a Van he will look at other makes and models, avoiding Merc.

My uncle owns a fleet of Sprinter, they have never skipped a beat, and most of them do mega miles before they get consigned to the scrap heap.

Vito is a pretend van really.

Soldato
My uncle has a few sprinters and they are quite good, but one is an auto and that is a pain in the ass. Cheapest headrests ever though.

My other unlce actually has his own small haulage company in N. Ireland and runs Scanias, althought they get replaced every two years for tax reasons. He's never had a problem apart from a 3 mile trail of diesel he left behind him a few years ago lol.

Associate
barnettgs said:
Mercedes did a million miles of testing on new c-class model before it was released. I don't know if it is any better but it seemed to me that a very few people are buying it.

My 94 C250D sitting at the parents' house has a quarter of that mileage, that's one car alone against the hundreds that Mercedes must have used :p
It was 10 million :)
A taxi driver in my home town had a 1995 C250D that had 760,000 miles on it last time I heard about it, 3-4 years ago, and was still chugging away.

My dad has the newer model, 2001 C270CDI, 130k miles that goes like hell but it's a pile of pap. There's more metal in a corgi die-cast.

Associate
R124/LA420 said:
Indeed.

Most tractor units will easily out drag a car (upto about 45 - 50mph), once its rolling - I've surprised more than a few chavs from time to time! :D

Really? I'm not being sarcastic, either. When you say once "rolling", are we talking circa 5mph or 30mph to to the limiter at 56.

I am trying to put your statement across as a possibilty without sounding like an idiot, but saying that most tractor units will out drag "a" car (so I'm going anything less than exotica) seems a bit interesting as I have never encountered a traffic light GP or a "roll" with an unladen monster...nevermind, anybody got any figures? I am sure there must be some hideous torque out there. :)

Last edited:
Associate
penski said:
In the words of a Merc Dealership owner, "There hasn't been one screwed together properly since the 190E..."

He said that a couple of years ago...As I said, I haven't heard anything to say they have changed their ways since...

*n
don't get me started 190E junk

new 190E 2.0L 6 weeks old engine packs up at top end odf Scotland duff fuel injection system

first service new diff required
electric widows pack up

1 year on engine again packs up in the fast ( BMW ) lane again duff fuel injectors

new passenger door

constant engine cut outs

note this was serviced ( at a price ) by a merc dealer at the required times

what a load of juck that was

Caporegime
OP
Fett said:
Really? I'm not being sarcastic, either. When you say once "rolling", are we talking circa 5mph or 30mph to to the limiter at 56.

I am trying to put your statement across as a possibilty without sounding like an idiot, but saying that most tractor units will out drag "a" car (so I'm going anything less than exotica) seems a bit interesting as I have never encountered a traffic light GP or a "roll" with an unladen monster...nevermind, anybody got any figures? I am sure there must be some hideous torque out there. :)

Lol, not a car such as yours! thats for sure! :D Indeed, I mean relatively run of the mill cars.

But, with 2500 Nm of torque at 1000-1350 r/min, a Scania R500 for example, minus its trailer, i.e. "solo" will easily out drag something like a Nova GTE from say 25 to 45 MPH - they pull surprisingly well with 30+ ton of trailer attatched too! :D

Back
Top Bottom