93 pub smoking days left in the U.K.

Soldato
Tru said:
As you've pointed out, restrictions have been placed on other social pursuits which have passive effects, but none so draconian as this.

You make a salient point about democracy, the government have removed choice, not offered it. There's about 10,000,000 adult smokers in Britain, another 1,000,000 pipe and cigar smokers, do these people not deserve a say? Or are smokers not allowed a democracy?

It's a fact that the majority will say NO to smoking in public places... theres your democracy.

10,000,000 is what percentage of our population? so there you have it!

Man of Honour
Dreadi said:
does if some **** lout punches the crap out of you cus he's wasted

But we are back again to someone a) breaking an already existing law (that of not committing assault) and b) abusing alcohol. This compares to smoking where people around are affected by the simple act of smoking and it does not require any other active action to potentially cause harm.

Caporegime
Spoke to a few mates who were working up in Scotland. They said its good that it doesn't smell too much of smoke anymore but now it stinks of sick and urine and carpets stained will spilled beer :D

Soldato
Tru said:
I remember you posting that before and someone of similar age debunking it, especially the bit about doctors and dentists. My old man has been teaching for near 40 years and he certainly disagrees.
I can confirm that it still happens with some dentists or at least it does with the local one my dad's uses. I see him all the time smoking in the doorway to the surgery when I drive past and my dad says you can taste the last tab he's had!

Fortunately I'm not registered with him.

Soldato
Efour2 said:
now it stinks of sick and urine and carpets stained will spilled beer :D

The crucial point being that smelling those things *doesn't kill you*. Clubs should buy air fresheners, or just actually encourage responsible drinking for once.

Caporegime
WIBSBOT said:
As a smoker who never smokes inside, this law won't affect me directly. However, I share Tru's concerns that this is the state interfering in our liberties and that they won't stop there. Indeed, the ID card fiasco is already underway, we are the most monitored country in the world in terms of CCTV, and more laws to erode our freedom will certainly follow under some silly guise like our own health, terrorism, or 'global warming' or some other such nonsense.....
Agree with most of what you're saying, but I haven't yet passed a considerate smoker in the street. The main problem I find is that if a non smoker walks past a smoker, you don't have to breathe any poisonous **** from us (unless we smell really bad I guess :p), but if a non smoker passes a smoker, the smell..the fumes..utterly disgusting. This ban doesn't go far enough.

Associate
platypus said:
Whilst I agree that cars are also a problem, thats not the topic at hand here and mis-quoting me is hardly a good way to stay on topic.

platypus said:
This ban doesn't go far enough

Ok, how far would you like the ban to go ? And for what purpose ?

- If it's because their are inconsiderate smokers and it smells bad then refer to my point about banning cars, farting, tramps, curry houses etc..

Last edited:
Associate
WIBSBOT said:
:eek:

I would like most fast food banned outright. However, I would rather protect people's human rights and liberty than ban everything I disagreed with.

Well I'd rather someone ate a burger sitting next to me in a restaurant than puffing on a cigarette which stinks and makes your clothes stink! Burgers only affect those that are eating them whereas smoking affects the whole room. Nuff said.

I couldnt care if it causes cancer or whatever, its just the damn stench that annoys me and the throat problems after breathing in smoke all night from other people.

And for the people that complain that the clubs they go to stink of urine, vomit, etc after the smoking ban why not go to a better club where the premises is looked after and they have proper aircon?!!

Soldato
Tru said:
Read the whole thread, I've covered this already.

Cant be bothered tbh... what are the highlights?

I would still like to see the maths behind it.. pretty dam sure that:

# people who smoke VS # who dont = ~the outcome of any voting on the subject

Back
Top Bottom