93 pub smoking days left in the U.K.

Man of Honour
Tru said:
Just playing devils advocate, I'd like to hear an argument against banning loud music in public places that doesn't apply to smoking as well.

Not many pubs actually have live entertainment and if you're a punter stepping into one of these pubs then you can expect noise. You can even put earplugs in if you so wish but its your choice. Granted, if neighbours to a pub are being menaced by noise then thats a different matter. In the case above the people moved into the cottage next door to the pub fully aware live entertainment was on a friday night.
For decades I played at Workingmens Clubs and British Legions and most of the punters didn't want you there and you were second to bingo anyway.
These days the type of pubs I play in are only frequented by rock fans and you'd be absolutely stupid to come inside if you don't want to hear loud music.
About two years ago a woman came into a pub I was playing at and complained to the landlord we were too loud. He told us to turn down and I asked who complained. I then turned 150 people on her telling her to get out of the pub. Why should 1 person ruin it for the majority?

Being a non smoker all my life I firmly DISAGREE with the smoking ban.
It is peoples choices to go into pubs, if you don't like the smoke don't go in.

Permabanned
I disagree with the ban as well, if you don't like a person smoking, you can put up with or move. It's can be used in context with so many things:

The person next to you is smoking? move
The person next to you is annoying? move
The person next to you is a homosexual and you're homophobic? move
The person next to you keeps farting? move
The person next to you has kids? move
The person next to you has aids? move
The person next to you has fleas? move
The person next to you is drunk? move

and so on and so forth

Capodecina
Soldato
Phalanx said:
I disagree with the ban as well, if you don't like a person smoking, you can put up with or move. It's can be used in context with so many things:

The person next to you is smoking? move
The person next to you is annoying? move
The person next to you is a homosexual and you're homophobic? move
The person next to you keeps farting? move
The person next to you has kids? move
The person next to you has aids? move
The person next to you has fleas? move
The person next to you is drunk? move

and so on and so forth

Rubbish reasoning tbh. The pub may be too small for moving to make any difference, there may be no spare tables... why the hell should I move because the person next to me wants to slowly kill themselves and the rest of us in the process? One easy answer - ban it!!

People don't seem to realise that this ban has happened for a reason - it's in the interests of the majority. There will always be a minority who feels oppressed and they can whinge ad nauseam. It's a question of civil rights vs something that is detremental and deletarious to peoples' health. It has to go...and it will.

Soldato
I can't wait for this ban to come in. I've been trying to quit for years now and always fall down the second I get a pint in a pub. I've gone for days without a cig and then gone for a pint and smoked 20 in a couple of hours.

It's an infringement on rights which I can't help but disagree with but I really really want to quit - bit of a dilema of a situation but one which is going to happen and one which I hope helps me kick rollies finally.

semi-pro waster said:
I don't think I've seen anyone wearing earplugs in a club either...

You obviously haven't experienced the Valve soundsystem or a 10k system where they hand out ear plugs at the start of the session! Tis quite immense to say the least.

Last edited:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Nitefly said:
LOL. I can't believe you used that statistic as a defense.
Huh? He picked a figure out if his head, I corrected him with something closer to the truth. (The latest figures put it at 1 in 4 people being smokers, but you need to adjust this for pub/club goers). What did you think I meant?

Man of Honour
Tru said:
Huh? He picked a figure out if his head, I corrected him with something closer to the truth. (The latest figures put it at 1 in 4 people being smokers, but you need to adjust this for pub/club goers). What did you think I meant?
I thought you were actually using it in a 'Actually its only 75%' way, with the ironic part in italics. Clearly you were not, apologies!

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Nitefly said:
I thought you were actually using it in a 'Actually its only 75%' way, with the ironic part in italics. Clearly you were not, apologies!
I see what you mean, no worries. Still, given the tendency for people who drink, to smoke, I would say it's probably around 50/50. Ironically I've plucked that out my head but I have a lot of experience in the drinking and smoking business. :p

Caporegime
The only problem my friend thought of a couple of weeks ago is that now non smokers will not be able to have a leisurely drink in a beer garden due to the smokers who will be clogging the tables or just breathing on you.

At least it's a start. I just hope they extend it to ANY public place (which would also have the added advantage of reducing the number of field fires). :)

Suspended
Im dreading the smoking ban coming in, i go to my local 4 times a week im also in there pool team.

90% of the people who go in there smoke i can understnad why they are doing it but i just wish they were allowed to have a seprate smoking room but thats not evan allowed.

This is going to kill pubs imo whats left of them.

Capodecina
Soldato
Tru said:
If you read that it was in the 'fiction' section. :)

OK, I'm interested to see why you're against this so much. I take it you're a smoker - if you're not that it's a little odd to see you batting for the smoking side unless you enjoy passive smoking.

The thing is, if I still smoked my attitude would definitely be 'how dare they do this, *** them all!' but now that I don't smoke I see it as soooo annoying when people do.

I think it's all a moot point really: come September everyone will have forgotten about it. It's just the first few weeks that will be the hardest for people who smoke.

Man of Honour
Lysander said:
I think it's all a moot point really: come September everyone will have forgotten about it. It's just the first few weeks that will be the hardest for people who smoke.

I said before in another thread that I can remember when -
Teachers smoked in class
Doctors smoked in their surgeries
Dentists smoked just before pulling your teeth
The school nurse smoked while giving you a jab
A consultant would be puffing on his pipe by your hospital bed
You could hardly see the film because of the smoke in a cinema
etc etc

After a year we'll all wonder why people ever smoked in pubs.

Back
Top Bottom