• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9700K / 2700X - Any software development benchmarks ?

Associate
I'm looking to replace my software development box (4790K based) as its starting to struggle while running an IDE with test and analysis tools. Scala tools seems to be designed to eat CPU cycles !

I've looked around but most benchmarks I've found seem aimed at gaming / office / synthetic type tasks. Has anyone seen any performance benchmarking aimed at software development type tasks?

Associate
I have not seen any development benchmarks, I thought RAM would be more important unless you are doing lots of multi-threading? I have heard Scala can use a lot of memory, although I have no experience I am afraid, all my coding is done in R and bash on multi-core linux boxes.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.

The workload tends to be very heavily multithreaded due to the IDE doing a lot of tasks (background compilations etc), the application itself, various test & monitoring tools and finally a database, (MonoDB in this case).

The 4790K used to be ok but switching to Scala seems to have pushed it over the edge.

Associate
9700K has 8 cores no HT
2700X has 8 cores 16 threads. SO I would think in well threaded software 2700X would be much more beneficial.
And you are correct very difficult to find any software development usage scenarios in today's reviews.
Even Phoronix has only 9900K for their review

Back
Top Bottom