• Intel i7-9700K
  • Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI Z390
  • Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100x CPU Cooler *
  • Fractal Design Define R6 Midi Tower Case
(*) Modified.
Currently running @ 4.9GHz with the following settings:

u6J8gly.png

The issue I have is that if I try to use OCCT to do a "CPU:Linpack 2019" test, it almost instantly (after the initial ramp-up) stops and states that the CPU has overheated. I don't feel like I'm putting all that much voltage through it at the moment MB has it set to 1.285V.

So I modified the H100x by purchasing four Corsair ML-120 fans and replacing the two SP-120 fans, with all four in a push-pull configuration. I thought this would almost certainly cure the issue; after installing I'm idling at 36*C (it's warm atm though!), but I'm still seeing issues with this test.

I then tried adding an AVX offset multiplier of 3 (which is -3 on a Hero XI), but again even with the chip running at only 4.6GHz for a Linpack/LinX test, it still stops with an overheat warning almost instantly.

I've since replaced all the thermal paste on the CPU with some better quality stuff (when I changed the fans I used some old Antec goop), with still no real difference.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? Other than that one test the system seems 100% stable. I'm tempted to try dropping the voltage further still, to see how low I can get it before re-introducing instability. Though I feel like my cooling setup should be able to handle this load!?

Soldato
Try experimenting with different LLC levels rather than leaving the board to choose.

If you can get temps to 75C or under when running Cinebench R20, you're good for 24/7 barring any rare apps/usage that stress it as much as Linpack/Prime.

Back
Top Bottom