9900K - Cooling advice

Associate
So i may be fortunate enough to get my hands on a 9900K (hopefully) which i intend on sticking in my PC to replace my 8400, my motherboard doesnt support overclocking so the CPU will be running at stock but im told even at stock they run toasty so wanted some advice on a cooler as performance wise my Aerocool Cyclon 3 is essentially a stock cooler with some pretty lights and i dont think its upto the task.

I'd prefer not to spend too much but obviously want something that can take the heat, some reccomendations would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
My 9900K (R0) ran quite cool actually. It's a 95TDP chip, more if OC'd but as you mention, your mobo won't support that. Pop onto the Aerocool website and check out the TDP of your cooler. If it's close to or over 95TDP, you're going to be OK.

In all honesty, I have cooled my 9900K on water all it's life, but at one point I actually cooled it in a custom AIO, with just a 92mm radiator, it idled at high 40's and never went above 80C under full load. I think you'll find you'll be fine.

Associate
OP
According to Aercool the TDP of my cooler claims to be 125 but from reviews im lead to believe this is not the case - i purchased as it matched the rest of my setup and my 8400 didnt need anything performance wise but i've read reports of it being worse that the stock intel on some higher TDP models.

Soldato
9900k runs fairly cool at stock tbh, i wouldn't worry much. Any decent aircooler will do a decent job of it without hassle. I have mine on water and clocked fairly high so hits around 60-70c @5.1ghz all core constantly.

At stock it ran around 50c on water so you'll probs see around 60-65c on air at most in a half decent airflow case.

Associate
At 4.8ghz with multiple web browsing and Youtube my 9900K usually idles at 26c, so they can actually run really cool at low load.

Usually in the 60's C when gaming, but Cinebench23 all core test gets a lot hotter and even throttles a bit as I'm only using a cheap Be Quiet Pure Rock cooler, though honestly no need for my use to upgrade at present for work or gaming - if I want better Cinebench score though I'd get a top end air cooler - just not worth the hassle right now as it's also my work PC. I feel like just letting a stable system alone during this crisis.

Associate
OP
Think im gonna install the CPU and do a little gaming and see how it fairs, at what temp under idle/load should i start to get concerned - i dont actually know what they are specced to run at these days.

Many thanks for everyones help.

Back
Top Bottom