9900K direct die cooling issue

Associate
Hi all...
I decided to delid my 9900K instead of switch for Z490. I purchased a full delid/DD kit from RockItCool, and i successfully managed the process. I have custom water cooling, there is a EK Supremacy EVO on the CPU, which should be good for DD cooling. Anyway, i did set it up, and found out, there is no contact between the block and the die, after the startup the CPU temp is already 85, so i switched it off asap. I followed all the instructions, what they share about the installation on YouTube. Any advice, how can i make this **** works?

Soldato
Hi all...
I decided to delid my 9900K instead of switch for Z490. I purchased a full delid/DD kit from RockItCool, and i successfully managed the process. I have custom water cooling, there is a EK Supremacy EVO on the CPU, which should be good for DD cooling. Anyway, i did set it up, and found out, there is no contact between the block and the die, after the startup the CPU temp is already 85, so i switched it off asap. I followed all the instructions, what they share about the installation on YouTube. Any advice, how can i make this **** works?
You need shorter screws to make up the millimetre difference.

Soldato
What random matt said is basically the problem.

To clarify, the stops on your EK Supremacy EVO are designed to clamp it's base onto CPU IHS. With IHS removed the stock mounting stops are holding waterbock base off of CPU chips by the thickness of IHS. So it's not really shorter screws / mounting screws, but ones that have stop at point needed for waterblock to put proper pressure onto CPU.

Easiest way to solve problem is use good TIM on CPU chip (don't use too much if it's conductive) and put IHS back on. Apply TIM to IHS where it is over CPU chip, IHS and mount waterblock to it normally.

Soldato
Did your kit come with a replacement mounting plate? I use the der8auer kit and it comes with a new plate. You have to take the OEM plate off and use this one, that then means the waterblock will make contact with the cpu die. It works really well.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-intel-9th-gen-oc-frame-hs-008-dr.html

HS008DR_199103_750x750.jpg

Soldato
Using a mounting plate like Colonel Klinck suggest will protect CPU from too much pressure being applied, and I advise using one. But it will not resolve the problem you now have.. You removed your IHS. Stock mount is designed to put proper pressure onto IHS in place on CPU chip. You removed th IHS. So now your waterblock is the thickness of IHS too far away from CPU for proper mounting pressure to be applied.

Soldato
I think I had to remove the spacers from the EK WB mounts to lower the block. I wouldn't have felt comfortable mounting without that plate.
Indeed! That plate keeps waterblock (or whatever cooler is being mounted) from pushing too hard on CPU chips whcih then deforms PCB so it press to hard on socket pins damaging some of the hundreds of tiny pin contacts in connecter connectiong CPU to motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom