99x pro ram slot not working?!? Help :(!

Associate
So earlier today I received a BSOD - Kernel Security Check Failure whilst playing some casual CIV.

I restarted and did some driver checks and everything came back completely fine however it then just froze without blue screening - even after 10 minutes of waiting.
So I hard rebooted and it wouldn't load up even the bios screen. Just blank then my monitor went to sleep due to no connection.

I took out everything other than mouse and keyboard, and changed from SLI to single card. I then tested with only one of my four ram sticks. ( I have 32GB in total )

All worked fine again, so went through testing each ram stick.
They all worked in each slot, apart from slot 4. No matter what stick I put in it didn't recognise it.
I've done 3 complete RAM tests and they've all passed with no errors. So I'm thinking strangely something has happened to make my 4th slot just go.

Other things I've tried are clearing CMOS and updating to newest bios.
Wiped all OC'ing.
Cleaned all ram slots.
Ran tests on all ram, CPU and GPU.

Any suggestions on what to do or test, or should I message OC to get in touch about RMA'ing my Motherboard? :)

Associate
OP
Woah random update after toying around for a few hours this morning.

Tried every stick one by one in each of the 4 main slots ( of 8 ) on the montherboard.

first three worked with all my sticks, the fourth once again wouldn't bootup at all with any in.
I clicked the MEMOK button and did some random bits and bobs...
It then restarted and again nothing happened.

So I manually took the power cable out for 1 minute, plugged it back and again rebooted my pc and poof... it came on, recognising it had a stick of RAM in slot 4... :| I have no idea what's going on... :|

Anyone able to theorise what may have happened or should I still possibly buy/RMA my board?

Associate
OP
So another update...It started working my way back up to 32GB of ram. 8 showed, 16 showed, 24 showed but this is where it got confusing.

when I put 32GB back in, it showed up in CPU-Z, however in other programs and system information it still only showed 24 GB in .... :S Super weird.
I'm really confused at this because at first I thought it was the RAM - but they all work.
Then I thought it was the motherboard, but now all the slots work, just not when all 32GB of RAM is in?! I'm so lost :|

Soldato
Check the CPU socket for pin issues? Damaged CPU pins have been known to cause cause certain memory slots not to work.

Associate
OP
EDIT - a update. when I put RAM in slots A1, B1 and C1 they work and show up fine.
But this is where it gets annoying.

When I put a RAM stick into C1, now it doesn't show at all in the bios, however it does in CPU-Z.

Someone said to redo a bios update so I've tried that, but that didn't fix it... so I'm left with pretty much the only option as D1 slot has become faulty as although CPU-Z can see it, the motherboard/Bios cannot see/use it anymore... I guess it's RMA/buy a new Mobo ? :(

Link for picture of bios of ram - https://imgur.com/a/F0GlZpf

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait, i’ve not looked at the board schematic, but have you tried populating it in pairs as per the manual? Normally it’s pairs, A1 & A2 etc. not just all the 1’s.

Associate
OP
Wait, i’ve not looked at the board schematic, but have you tried populating it in pairs as per the manual? Normally it’s pairs, A1 & A2 etc. not just all the 1’s.[/Q

Trying all the combinations again, although I'm pretty sure I have already checked that (along with each slot individually). I'll give an update if there's still obvious problems with slot C1. =) Give me about 10-15 mins.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So after checking with all the RAM duo combinations this is the result.

A1 + B1 = 16gb showing.
A1 + C1 = 8gb showing. (CPU-Z notices the 16gb)
A1 + D1 = 16gb showing.

B1 + C1 = 8gb showing (CPU-Z notices the 16gb)
B1 + D1 = 16gb showing.

C1 + D1 = 8gb showing (CPU-Z notices the 16gb)

So pretty much confirmed there's something up with dimm_C1 from this testing right...(still confused how CPU-Z can see the RAM inserted though but nothing else can...

Just thought, is there any way to turn of dual or quad for a specific ram slot ? Could pressing the MEMOK have done that? ??

Another edit/update - when I put a ram stick into slot C1 on its own it didn't boot. But when I held the MEMOK button for 2 seconds so it restarted the pc noticed it was there now in bios however ram got changed from 2400MHz to 1800MHz aswell as timings changed to 14-15-15-33
again...hope this helps any thoughts..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Since doing the MEMOK thing again I started testing each duo combination again

A1 and C1 = 16gb showing.
B1 and C1 = 16gb showing.
D1 and C1 = 16gb showing.

Okay. I'm just confused xD. I'll try quad now and see if 32 shows up or it reverts back to 24gb..

Update - 32 GB of ram showing!
Now to try revert back to the speed / timings it was before...no idea what's happening. 2 days of headaches though that's for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I tried to change it back to 2,400 MHz aswell as timings but it only recognised 24gb of ram then =/ back to square one... Pc doesn't even boot with ram in slot C1 again. Boots fine with just 3 sticks (24gb in) sigh..

Associate
OP
So I did a full reinstall of windows to fix a few other bugs I had.

This didn't fix my RAM problem however just now I put a ram slot in slot C1 only, MemOK'd until it booted and then slotted ram sticks in slots A1, B1 and D1.
This has now worked so all my RAM (32GB) is showing once again, however the timings and speed is slightly reduced from 2400MHz to 1867MHz.
I've attached a picture I took from the bios showing the ram and its speed.

https://imgur.com/TFt5Rcy
I'll see how long this lasts before I get a blue screen or when I RMA the board in January time.

Back
Top Bottom