£9k to spend - Recommend me something please!

Associate
I live in London (Uni/gf), commute out to my family’s farm for work. I drive about 40 miles a day 4 days a week. My home in London has terrible parking, therefore I am staying away from anything bigger than a 1 series/golf.

I use to have a 120d 2013 but sold it due to ULEZ.

I want something really reliable, reasonably economical, and not gutless. After test driving a 1.6 Golf 2018 I was shocked at the low end lag, hated the e-brake ordeal. I did have a look at maybe a GTI, but its not economical enough.

Is diesel really worth it nowadays? I dont really go over 10/11k Miles annually... I want to for 2/3 years...

If you have any input please let me know! I am open minded, but I do lean towards the german styling/quality.

Thanks!

Currently on my autotrader watchlist: Golf, 1 series, V40

Associate
Fiesta ST is a good shout, but also consider a Focus ST maybe as you get a bit more bang for your buck and extra space.

Maybe even look at Audi S1.

Soldato
How reliable are they? Do you have one?

No i don't, but I've driven one a few years back and it was a great car to drive. They're well respected and still considered to be the best bang for buck small hot hatch. I'm sure there's a few forum members that are owners that can chime in with their experiences.

Fiesta ST is a good shout, but also consider a Focus ST maybe as you get a bit more bang for your buck and extra space.

The petrol Focus is nowhere near as economical as the Fiesta and you've got no chance of getting an S1 for anywhere near 9k unless it's a CAT S.

Associate
OP

My partner has an A1, it is a great little car. Can only imagine what it would be like with more bhp. But, as coupe mentioned, and I agree the S1 is a bit out of budget and the Focus ST is juicy. Bhp between 130 to 190 would be ideal I suppose

Soldato
The STs are pretty reliable, I never had any problems with mine. There was a recall relating to cooling on ecoboost engines so make sure that was done.

Caporegime
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
The 1.0 I found very gutless when I had them as loan cars, felt like it had no torque. But that was after driving the 1.6 ST :)

Back
Top Bottom