• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A 12gb 1080Ti?

Associate
So finally the 1080Ti has came out, with the 'standard' amount of memory of 11Gb. When looking at pictures of the PCB, it appears simply one memory module had been removed?

Maybe this is a stupid question; but I did wonder if an AIO partner could add the extra module? or has nvidia done something to stop the 12th module (say disabling the 12th chip in the memory controller, or would it be something in the contact between the board partners and nvidia)? I know AIO partners can create custom PCB and that, and there appears to be an empty space for the 12th memory chip. The board does appear similar to that of the Titan XP.

Im guessing in reality the extra module wouldnt really make much of a difference? ... just some extra memory bandwidth (352bit to 384bit, which the Titan XP is), and 11gb to 12gb (which is already a lot)? Like I said, this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to ask anyway :)

Soldato
It appears similar as it is the exact same Titan XP PCB :)

Abit they have made some minor refinements in the power delivery on on the memory controller side, but the PCB itself is the same. They only fill the spots they need to, as an example the 1080Ti while doing away with DVI on the FE board, has the spots and tracers for the connection anyways. It is pretty common really, usually the mid range cards (1070 / 1080) share a similar PCB and likewise for the upper end (1080Ti / Titan XP) saves on costs, economies of scale etc.

I fully expect an AIB adding or deviating from specs is a No No. I also expect as standard it would not be possibly to add the 12th chip as simple as plopping it in.

Associate
OP
ah, thanks for posting a link to that video smogsy. So nvidia disabled the bus for the chip inside the gpu, shame.

I did want to ask, because the Titan XP PCB did very similar, if not the same... but I was pretty sure that wasnt going to happen. hmm.. Im not really sure why nvidia did that, other than make the Titan XP have slightly more memory and save one memory chip per card. Would the extra chip gave any performance boost? I guess one out of 12 chips saves them a little bit of money.

Back
Top Bottom