A Baby's "Diving" Reflex - Do all Babies have it/Anyone tested it?

Associate
Gimpymoo said:
Just got back from swimming.

Did the "Dunk".

Baby didn't seem bothered to be honest.

Me and the wife pooped ourselves though - Not for the feinthearted.

All my biology education tells me it would work... but I have to say that when my sprog will be born (about a month from now) I will be hard pushed to give it a go...

Soldato
cheets64 said:
They have just spent 9 months in water.

I must be true, the baby on the cover of the Nirvana album, got its eyes open and its swimming.

Ummm yes - but they don't actually breathe underwater in the womb - they breathe via the umbilical cord, entirely different.

Associate
We were going to have a water birth, but the little lad popped out a tad early and quickly! It makes the transition from inside to outside a lot less stressful for them, and they automatically go to the surface. So I can understand this dunking reflex.

Will be teaching my lad to swim this summer - he already loves water and keeps trying to get in my bath!

Soldato
My wife has been tkaing out 7 month old dughter to swimming classes.

The woman running the classes will only take babies less than a year old as the "dive reflex" diminishes after that time.

Bethan has been loving it. She regularly gets zoomed around under water and really enjoys it - sleeps well afterwards to !

The key points seems to be:

1) Water temperature - must be about 30 degrees otherwise the babies get cold.

2) They started off by using a phrase 'ready', 'bethan', 'go' before they dive - I guess to give her a warning.

shador said:
One of my earliest memories is of my mum taking me swimming in one of those parent and child classes and the worst bit of the class for me used to be when everyone was forced to go under water...parents and kids - used to hate it!

If you can remember it then you were probably too old for the dive reflex to be present !

Soldato
A slightly longer than "quick" Google on this subject:

If put underwater they'll (babies) open their eyes, hold their breath an in-built response known as the mammalian dive reflex, stops any water getting into their lungs. After only a year, this reflex is almost gone and any baby in water will cough and splutter, like the rest of us.

Soldato
stoofa said:
Ummm yes - but they don't actually breathe underwater in the womb - they breathe via the umbilical cord, entirely different.

I think the idea is that the baby has developed a way of not allowing water into the lungs via the mouth :) Not that it's got gills :p

Ant :cool:

Associate
Yep, they all have the diving reflex. I wish there were waterbabies classes in lincoln, as I know loads of people who take their babies to them.

Whether you want your child doing underwater swimming or not, start taking them swimming as early as possible. Megan is petrified of the water.

Back
Top Bottom