A battlefield2 thread

Associate
Ok surpirsed no one has mentioned it but what about this !

What the hell is up with that?

i think i no where this has came from a 4 letter online retailer perhaps, but i pray to god that they are just being there usual moronic selves and now knowing crap all about games, otherwise am totally screwed lol.

just did a quick check and that is on the official spanish website. can't find anything on the english website atm.

so in other words if the above is true then i reckon thats a lot of ppl screwed, although being the money greedy scum that EA is surely they wouldn't be so moronic to only have it running on XP.

Caporegime
EasyG said:
Ok surpirsed no one has mentioned it but what about this !

What the hell is up with that?

i think i no where this has came from a 4 letter online retailer perhaps, but i pray to god that they are just being there usual moronic selves and now knowing crap all about games, otherwise am totally screwed lol.

just did a quick check and that is on the official spanish website. can't find anything on the english website atm.

so in other words if the above is true then i reckon thats a lot of ppl screwed, although being the money greedy scum that EA is surely they wouldn't be so moronic to only have it running on XP.

I dont think that it will affect that many people since almost everyone uses xp nowadays.

Associate
Can't see why anyone still uses anything other than some form of XP.
It's hardly expensive for an OEM copy, and I'm sure at least half the people on here got the OS from... other sources ¬_¬

And yeah gord, you're right to the best of my knowlege: BF2 uses shaders that the GF4 range doesn't support, and thus wont be able to run the game.

NB. As they've called it Battlefield 2, rather than 3, have they disowned the dire mess that was Vietnam? Or is it just because the original 1942 Team are at the helm this time around?

Soldato
EasyG said:

Haven't seen this confirmed, apart from on the 2 websites you mentioned, but blame Microsoft. They're stopping support for Win200 in June / July this year apparently.

Just hope the handheld AA / AV weapons do less damage to troops than in BF1942 / BF-V ( i.e no 1 shot kill ) or it'll just turn out to be a rocket-spammer / bunny-hopper paradise, like most servers of the other 2 games are. Oh and please let there be a short invincibility timer ( 1-2 sec ) when you respawn to give you a chance against the spawn-campers....

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried&Tested said:
If only it was ever that exciting.

If you play it at a LAN or on the internet either with your friends or people who "take it seriously", so to speak, then it's absolutely fantastic - you can really work together and support each other and it's just how it should be. Trouble is, the bots are too stupid to do that, and on the internet everyone just runs off in the nearest plane (like one man to a huge bomber with places for four gunners) and does their own thing, gets killed, spawns again... it's annoying.

Soldato
For the people wondering what it takes to run with all gfx settings maxed out, I found this over at the IGN forums ( posted by one of their staff ). He didn't mention how many people were playing on the server though....

1.8GHz, 64MB video RAM, 512k RAM - 1024x768, low details (still looks good, btw)

2GHz, 128MB video RAM, 1GB RAM - 1280 x 960, medium details

3GHz, 256MB video RAM, 1GB RAM - everything maxed

" 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM and GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, it's totally unplayable on max settings, but runs perfectly on medium settings at 1024 x 768 "

" 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM and GeForce 6800 GT it runs perfectly at 1280 x 960 with max detail and 4x FSAA "

Last edited:
Associate
From IGN forums:

once and for all: (correct me if this wrong)

step 1: identify your sistem

AMD xp
1500+ very low settings
1800+ low settings
2000+ minimun settings
2400+ minimum settings
2600+ mid settings
2800+ mid-high settings
3000+ high settings

AMD 64
2800+ mid-high settings
3000+ high settings
3200+ high settings
3400+ high settings
3600+ and above insane settings

intel p4

1.5 very low settings
1.6 very low settings
1.8 low settings
2.0 low settings
2.4 mid settings
2.8 mid-high settings
3.0 high settings
3.2 high settings
3.4 high settings
3.6 and above insane settings

RAM

256mb very low settings
512mb mid-low settings
1GB mid-high to high settings
1.5gb high settings
2GB insane settings

Video Cards

ATI

8500 low settings
9000 low settings
9500 se low settings
9600 se low settings
9500 low settings
9600 low settings
9500 & 9600 pro mid settings
9800 se mid settings
9800 mid settings
9800 pro mid-high settings
x700 pro mid-high settings
9800 pro 256mb med-high settings
x800 pro high settings
x800 pro xt and above insane settings

NVIDIA

GeForce Fx (GeForce 4 will not work)

5200 low settings
5400 low settings
5600 low settings
5800 low-mid settings
5900 low-mid settings
5800 u mid settings
5900xt mid settings
5950 mid settings
6600 mid settings
6600 gt mid-high settings
6600 gt 256mb high settings
6800 and above insane settings

step 2: do the math

if you have a low processor and a mid ram and low video card: low+mid+low= low settings

mid+mid+low: mid-low settings
mid+mid+mid: mid settings
high+mid+mid: mid settings
high+high+mid: mid-high settings
high+high+high: high settings
insane+high+high: high settings
insane+insane+insane: give me your computer

Associate
now that's one helpful post!

Can't wait for Friday, almost makes me want to cancel my weekend plans (but I know if I do, sod's law says they won't release anyway!)

Mutters

Soldato
Phil99 said:
They are joking about the GF4 not being supported...right?
Fraid not, the shaders that the Geforce 4 support cant handle the latest shader technology that they must be using as the basis for the engine. A lot of games you can turn off shaders enough to get them to work on older cards, but BF2 must have integral shader 2.0 that simply cant be worked around.....we will have to find out to be sure though

neverender said:
NB. As they've called it Battlefield 2, rather than 3, have they disowned the dire mess that was Vietnam? Or is it just because the original 1942 Team are at the helm this time around?
Yeh, they never used the title of Battlefield 2 for Vietnam because they didnt feel it was a step particularly, they added a bit to the engine and new content, but it wasnt a revolution of Battlefield, more of an expansion with a full price tag. :rolleyes:

Associate
neverender said:
Can't see why anyone still uses anything other than some form of XP.
It's hardly expensive for an OEM copy, and I'm sure at least half the people on here got the OS from... other sources ¬_¬
QUOTE]

yeah but thats total bullcrap, i could say the same for games on cd's instead of dvd's, dvd drives aren't expensive these days so stop all cd manufacturing and only do it on dvd's.

infact lets stop production of videos as well cause a DVD player is so cheap these days, that surely every1 shoudl own one.

If its xp only then i'll laugh at EA for making such a big mistake and losing out on so many more sales.

Associate
EasyG said:
yeah but thats total bullcrap, i could say the same for games on cd's instead of dvd's, dvd drives aren't expensive these days so stop all cd manufacturing and only do it on dvd's.

infact lets stop production of videos as well cause a DVD player is so cheap these days, that surely every1 shoudl own one.

Yep your right there matey! Most games are DVD and most films are DVD :p

Soldato
If its xp only then i'll laugh at EA for making such a big mistake and losing out on so many more sales.

What, all 5 of them?

On a PC of that spec, used for gaming, it's almost certainly going to be running on XP.

If you can't afford XP, but can afford a PC of that spec, something is wrong.

If you can afford XP but don't want to spend money on it, you can get completely free 180day trials from Microsoft. Just get a couple and you can run for years.

Back
Top Bottom