A battlefield2 thread

Soldato
gord said:
Fraid not, the shaders that the Geforce 4 support cant handle the latest shader technology that they must be using as the basis for the engine. A lot of games you can turn off shaders enough to get them to work on older cards, but BF2 must have integral shader 2.0 that simply cant be worked around.....we will have to find out to be sure though

Well, if they can't program the game for a GF4 without making some serious cut backs for the newer cards, then so be it, but I can't help but feel they've cut out a fair chunk of their potential customer base, as contrary to popular belief the majority don't upgrade their PCs for a single game :(

I'm just glad I relagated the GF4 to my parents' PC and am now running on a 6600GT :D

Soldato
Really looking forward to this game (along with the rest of the clan im in for it)

System Specs

Athlon64 3200+ Winy @2.6Ghz
2x1gb Corsair Twinx cas2
X800XT PE @580/600
74gb raptor

Bring it on :D

Associate
MS will be releasing what there calling SP5 Rollup sometime soon for Win2K, the OS will then be moved to extended support (you have to pay). Personally I love windows 2000, XP certainly couldn't touch it untill SP2 came along. I should imagine i'll buy winxp64, theres not much point buying the others at this stage in the game.

Associate
Phil99 said:
What, all 5 of them?

On a PC of that spec, used for gaming, it's almost certainly going to be running on XP.

If you can't afford XP, but can afford a PC of that spec, something is wrong.

If you can afford XP but don't want to spend money on it, you can get completely free 180day trials from Microsoft. Just get a couple and you can run for years.

This was more the point I was trying to make.

Permabanned
Tried&Tested said:
If only it was ever that exciting.

Oh it used to be in the early days of BF1942, I guess you had to play on the right servers.

Same with DC, and POE ( BF:V mod ).

Given the right server with a good selection of players and it can be just as I described....

I just hope BF2 is the same.

Permabanned
Bf1942 was the dogs, then it went mainstream and all the CS players moved over, well , in my experience a hell of a lot moved over to DC.

BF1942 started to wane, the community started to decline, and we get what we have today.

I guess it all depends on age, when I was young, we were always WWII fighting as kids etc.

Caporegime
McLaren said:
Just hop it is ok on my pc.
Athlon 2800xp
Ram 768
ATI 9700PRO

No, it will not be fine. You will need a CPU capable of a terra flop with 5 terra bytes of DDR2 RAM at 12,000MHz and a Graphics Card with 5678898.345 pipes and a Neural Net.

Associate
Guys, no one here is going to be able to give a gospel answer on how well BF2 is going to run on any current system.
For my part, as I've said before, I think the specs are being massively over-hyped and that everyone with a modern-ish system is gonna get a decent amount of enjoyment out of the game.

Wait till the demo and all will become clear. No point in all this aimless speculation.

Soldato
Phil99 said:
but I can't help but feel they've cut out a fair chunk of their potential customer base, as contrary to popular belief the majority don't upgrade their PCs for a single game :(

it used to be contrary to popular belief but i think many more people now realise the real computer markets are the mainstream desktops ...ie..Dell...and their midrange shindigs, not your enthusiast gamer

if you look at Halflife 2, roughly 11% of players who took the survey are on a geforce 4 chipped card....thats a lot of players

neverender said:
Wait till the demo and all will become clear. No point in all this aimless speculation.

would be so true if it were aimless speculation but we do actually have snippets of information, naturally waiting for the demo is the best idea...fact, best wait till after the game is out before you upgrade and see what you really need...but how many of us do that, we want to play the game fabulously from the get go...

Caporegime
MoodyB said:
Haven't seen this confirmed, apart from on the 2 websites you mentioned, but blame Microsoft. They're stopping support for Win200 in June / July this year apparently.

Just hope the handheld AA / AV weapons do less damage to troops than in BF1942 / BF-V ( i.e no 1 shot kill ) or it'll just turn out to be a rocket-spammer / bunny-hopper paradise, like most servers of the other 2 games are. Oh and please let there be a short invincibility timer ( 1-2 sec ) when you respawn to give you a chance against the spawn-campers....

i think the answer to those is no and no.

The anti tank weapon in BF2 can be one shot kill. Ive currently got about a gig of BF2 videos, and ive seen lots of one shot kills. But then some not. From this i conclude its going to require a direct hit to one shot kill. But the weapon has a long reload time. Thus avoiding the rocket spammer problem.You get one chance, and if you miss then its game over. (ps whats bunny hopping got to do with rockets ? the rocket in '42 / DC has never been an effective anti infantry weapon as it has a long reload time. You can take on an AA class with your pistol and win unless he gets that close to you that he takes himself with you)

which is good, as in real life these things do take a tank in one go. And as for anti air weapons, in BF2 they are heat seeking. But then the planes have a warning of radar lock and can deploy chaff. But i havent seen any personal AA weapons yet. only fixed and the one on the back of the tank (forget its name)

as for spawn campers, learn to live with it.there is no invincibility time in BF2.

Caporegime
Phil99 said:
What, all 5 of them?

On a PC of that spec, used for gaming, it's almost certainly going to be running on XP.

If you can't afford XP, but can afford a PC of that spec, something is wrong.

If you can afford XP but don't want to spend money on it, you can get completely free 180day trials from Microsoft. Just get a couple and you can run for years.

your not far wrong there mate.

Win 98 / ME and Windows 2000 users account for 5.7 % of gamers. Another 91 % of those being Windows XP. (based upon the average HL2 player)

taken from Valves harware survey

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

upon that basis, i really wouldnt be worrying that 5 % of gamers cant play the game based upon their OS. After all, looking at the graphics card list about 50 % of the average HL2 games wont have a card that can cope with BF2 anyway. So if your building a game that 50 % of gamers dont have a system that will run BF2, are you really worring about 5 % that cant run it because they run Windows ME/98/2000. Considering some of those will have poor systems that cant run BF2 anyway, the percentage loss in sales i would say is probably in the reason of 1 or 2 %. As if they are behind the times enought to still be using '98, how many of them will have a card new enough to run BF2 ?

Caporegime
Fireblade2K4 said:
There was never a shader model 1.4 was there.... :confused:

AFAIK it went 1, 2, and the current nVidia only 3.

Stu

Shadel model 1.4 debuted on the Radeon 8500 series. Nvidia never bothered with it, and jumped to 2.0a with the first range of FX cards. that the replacement 9700 with only shader 2.0 beat hands down as it had power over the Nvidias features.

Back
Top Bottom