A bit of advice on mileage?

Associate
The final figure for fixing the ST will come to just over £1100. Needs new subframe, the stuff I mentioned before, a whole new handbrake assembly and various other bits and bobs. MOT expires today. I don't think it is worth doing. I have a mate who will probably give me £500 or so for it as it is and do the work himself. So definitely in the market for another motor.

Hope you find what your looking for mate, interested to see the pics when you've made the descision :)

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;22329404 said:
I will take it for more than 500 as is :p

He is coming around later to look at it......he said he will give me £400 for the wheels anyway. And then we can come to some agreement on the Car as a whole (he is a Ford Mechanic), so I might get a bit more than I initially thought by breaking it up. I have no idea what the thing is worth tbh, other than by googling other examples with similar miles and age....to be fair it is not in the best shape and has a few scratches and bumps so its just not worth spending loads of cash on it.

Now to the tricky part of choosing a decent replacement for under £15k that will give me trouble free motoring for the next 5 years....

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The ST went to my mate tonight for £800 and £200 for the Stereo so £1000 all told...so not a bad as far as I am concerned given the cost to get it through the MOT.

Soldato
:eek:

£800 for an ST220 that needs £250ish worth of parts. I'm guessing an amateur driveway DIYer could do this if they had the tools and skill? Your mate got a bargain!

EDIT: ok just seen that it needed the entire subframe, rather than just the bushes - still a competent mechanic like your mate should be able to do this with no hassle!

Man of Honour
I bet it didn't need the entire subframe at all, everyone used to think it did back in like 2002 but it soon became clear you could change the subframe bushes without replacing the entire subframe?

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;22334455 said:
I bet it didn't need the entire subframe at all, everyone used to think it did back in like 2002 but it soon became clear you could change the subframe bushes without replacing the entire subframe?

Yeah, it needed the subframe, we already considered just the bushes.....it also needed o/s fr Macpherson strut, front n/s and o/s shocks and mounts, handbrake unit, calipers, lambda sensor, and the 4 new tyres. (List off the MOT failure, with the exception of the lambda sensor, but we knew about that already)

I got a £1000 for it so I/m happy and my mate is a mechanic so can do the work cheap enough so that he can make a few quid as well so he is happy and that is all that matters....I got 9 years of trouble free and happy motoring out of the car so I think that is value for the money I paid for it. :)

Permabanned
OP
:confused:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but a Macpherson strut is a type of suspension assembly rather than an actual part right?

My fault, not reading the printout right..it is excessive movement in the Macpherson strut. Hence the need for new mounts etc I suppose. I know bugger all about cars.

Back
Top Bottom