• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A coil whine problem, please take a look!

Associate
Hello, I have been getting a terrible coil whine THROUGHT my headset for some reason. Pretty sure it is coming from my GPU since when I am in a game the pitch/loudness changes when I change my FPS cap. (When I cap my FPS at around 120 or something for example it's not that loud, but I use a 144hz monitor and I play some games at a competitve level so I need to get max out of my PC.)

I am not too sure why it is leaking into my headset nor why it's that awful, but will buying a new headset (Hyperx Cloud II) fix the issue? It has an USB audio card to it. (I think that's what it is at least) I currently am using another Hyperx headset but I have it plugged into a 3.5 jack.

Also, the coil whine isn't a problem when I take my headset off, It's basically not noticable at all, but when I put on my headset it's literally a nightmare.

Edit. Forgot to mention, I have my headset connected to the front of my PC, when I connect it to the back coil whine seems to go away completely, but my headset is displayed as speakers and audio is really low..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also, after unplugging the monitor the coil whine seems to go away. I don't know if its relevant or not but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Soldato
Hello, I have been getting a terrible coil whine THROUGHT my headset for some reason. Pretty sure it is coming from my GPU since when I am in a game the pitch/loudness changes when I change my FPS cap. (When I cap my FPS at around 120 or something for example it's not that loud, but I use a 144hz monitor and I play some games at a competitve level so I need to get max out of my PC.)

I am not too sure why it is leaking into my headset nor why it's that awful, but will buying a new headset (Hyperx Cloud II) fix the issue? It has an USB audio card to it. (I think that's what it is at least) I currently am using another Hyperx headset but I have it plugged into a 3.5 jack.

Also, the coil whine isn't a problem when I take my headset off, It's basically not noticable at all, but when I put on my headset it's literally a nightmare.

Edit. Forgot to mention, I have my headset connected to the front of my PC, when I connect it to the back coil whine seems to go away completely, but my headset is displayed as speakers and audio is really low..

what card?

Associate
OP
I just opened my PC while being in game and reduced my fans to hear if it's coil whine coming from my GPU and it is, it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't leak the sound into my headphones.. Why the hell does that do it LOL

Soldato
That's interference rather than coil whine. If you had to turn the case fans down and open up the case to hear it that noise is probably pretty normal. The problem is you're getting interference through your headphones for some reason. Have you tried normal speakers to see if it does the same? If same with speakers, maybe try moving GPU further away from where the sound ports are.

You haven't said when the noise started either I don't think. Is it a new GPU? Or is the setup the same but it's just suddenly producing noise through the headphones?

Have you tried checking the sound options in the control panel?

Associate
OP
That's interference rather than coil whine. If you had to turn the case fans down and open up the case to hear it that noise is probably pretty normal. The problem is you're getting interference through your headphones for some reason. Have you tried normal speakers to see if it does the same? If same with speakers, maybe try moving GPU further away from where the sound ports are.

You haven't said when the noise started either I don't think. Is it a new GPU? Or is the setup the same but it's just suddenly producing noise through the headphones?

Have you tried checking the sound options in the control panel?

It's a PC I've had for around a year ago but the only game I played was CS:GO, which didn't produce any hissing noise in my headset, even tho my fps have always been very high. I started playing fortnite and wow around 2 months ago and that's where the problem started.

The sound my GPU produces (coil whine I'd say, not a big one anyway when I have my pc case closed I can't hear it, unless I have my headset on haha) is basically exactly the same I hear in my headphones. The higher FPS, the louder the hissing (both inside of my case and in my headset).
Back rear jack doesn't have the hissing anymore, but the volume is way too quiet for me and my PC detects my headset as speakers (I am guessing that's normal for back rear) and I can't play with it.
I have 3 other pairs of headset at home, the issue happens with all of them (all high end gaming headset)
Control panel settings are all good.
Also when I mute everything in Sounds and I can't hear anything on my computer, the hissing is still there.
dcf361adab4e92413d5bf1553834eecb.png

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like the cable connecting your motherboard to your front panel is subject to electromagnetic interference. The cable could be poor quality, issue could even be on the motherboard (less likely). Can you route that cable in a different path and see if that reduces or gets rid of the issue?

An external DAC like a cheap USB sound card or USB headphones like the HyperX Cloud II will indeed eliminate this issue.

Associate
OP
Sounds like the cable connecting your motherboard to your front panel is subject to electromagnetic interference. The cable could be poor quality, issue could even be on the motherboard (less likely). Can you route that cable in a different path and see if that reduces or gets rid of the issue?

An external DAC like a cheap USB sound card or USB headphones like the HyperX Cloud II will indeed eliminate this issue.
I've tried messing with the cables a bit but I'm honestly clueless when it comes to what's inside the PC and I don't want to mess it up haha, I've ordered Cloud II and hopefully it fixes it, will update after I recieve them I guess. :p

Soldato
What is the issues when, along with coil whine, you do get the same exact whine through headphones? Same pitch, same changing pitch, in sync with the actual genuine coil whine? Just curious, coil whine never bothers me, even my laptop has it, to me it's just a part of electricals.

Associate
What is the issues when, along with coil whine, you do get the same exact whine through headphones? Same pitch, same changing pitch, in sync with the actual genuine coil whine? Just curious, coil whine never bothers me, even my laptop has it, to me it's just a part of electricals.

Interference through headphones can be quite loud as there is often a very high noise to signal ratio (in the old days just moving the mouse might be audible through speakers or headphones, again due to electromagnetic interference, lack of shielding etc). And it's not like coil whine where wearing headphones you can muffle the external sound either ... ramp up the volume and you ramp up the noise.

Soldato
i used to get sound interference when i moved my mouse on my old motheboard / onboard sound both through speakers and hdmi.

i never got to the bottom of it, but it went away when i got my new system with an asus gaming mobo.

Associate
OP
i used to get sound interference when i moved my mouse on my old motheboard / onboard sound both through speakers and hdmi.

i never got to the bottom of it, but it went away when i got my new system with an asus gaming mobo.
I've got a pretty high end asus gaming mobo and it's happening hah, hope it goes away when i get my hyperx cloud 2s

Soldato

It's a pain diagnosing issues.
I had what I thought was coil whine after getting a new GPU. It actually ended up being my second monitor failing. It was just a bit of a coincidence it started doing it after installing the new GPU. Actually spent quite a bit of time swapping GPU's around before I found out |(dumb***). I checked the first monitor but not the second.

Soldato
I've got a pretty high end asus gaming mobo and it's happening hah, hope it goes away when i get my hyperx cloud 2s

actually thinking about it my problem mobo was asus... my new mobo which is ok is gigabyte!.... luck of the draw i guess

P8P67 pro gave me issues
GA-X99-Gaming 5P (no issues and by far the best sound i have ever had - soundblaster certified if that means anything these days)

Associate
OP
actually thinking about it my problem mobo was asus... my new mobo which is ok is gigabyte!.... luck of the draw i guess

P8P67 pro gave me issues
GA-X99-Gaming 5P (no issues and by far the best sound i have ever had - soundblaster certified if that means anything these days)
I just hope USB headset fixes that ****, it should honestly but we will see when it ships :p

Back
Top Bottom