Associate
Hi everyone,

I would much appreciate any help/suggestions regarding this issue I have. I have recently bought a Corsair Carbide Air 540 (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...40-High-Airflow-ATX-Cube-Case/p/CC-9011030-WW) to build up a PC.

However I had not noticed that the max GPU length you can fit in that case is 320 mm (this is keeping the two frontal fans of the case (which are these https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...dition-High-Airflow-140mm-Fan/p/CO-9050009-WW). Now the GPU I would like to install in this PC is 327 mm in length, which is a bit too much. One solutions I thought was substitute one of these frontal fan for a thinner fan whilst keeping most of the air flow volume. I had a browse in Overclockers and found this model (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryo...ick-pwm-700-1300-rpm-fan-140mm-hs-00d-cy.html) which is also 140mm but it is 13 mm in thickness instead of the 25 mm of the Corsair model.

My question is, do you think this is a valid option? Also, the mounting of these fans on the case is done through some predrilled screw holes in the metal frame. Would the Cryorig fan fit in the square position for the screws of the Corsair fan? if not, is there any adapter that could be used?

Many thanks in advance and all the best!
Alex

Soldato
It looks like that fan fits 120mm mounting holes. Your case probably has those holes already available. Worth a check.

That said - slim fans are generally a compromise. Either greatly reduced airflow, or they work hard and loud to produce it. Would it make more sense to rethink the whole case's airflow layout? I believe the 540 has some bottom fan mountings so you could have one intake feeding the graphics card from below. That would let you use your existing fans too, so you could try it for free.

Do you already have the case and card?

Associate
OP
It looks like that fan fits 120mm mounting holes. Your case probably has those holes already available. Worth a check.

That said - slim fans are generally a compromise. Either greatly reduced airflow, or they work hard and loud to produce it. Would it make more sense to rethink the whole case's airflow layout? I believe the 540 has some bottom fan mountings so you could have one intake feeding the graphics card from below. That would let you use your existing fans too, so you could try it for free.

Do you already have the case and card?

Hi LuckyBenski!

Thanks for your comment. The 540 Air has indeed some extra space for attaching extra fans at the top of the case (the bottom space of the case is used for the hard drives). However I am using that space to attach a liquid cooler (Corsair H115i) for the CPU. So I cannot really use it :(

About your last question, yes I got the case but not the card. There is still the option of going for a different shorter model but I just want to see if I could fit the one I planned originally (just for aesthetics purposes). I have been doing some information digging and this 15 mm thick fan model does not seem to add much noise and keeps air flow volumen relatively high (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-fan-140mm-fg-009-pl.html).

Cheers,
Alex

Soldato
The 540 can fit 2x 140mm fans or 3x 120mm fans in the front panel. Could you not just fit the top and bottom 120mm fans which would leave enough space for the GPU to protrude into the gap where the middle fan would have been?

Associate
OP
The 540 can fit 2x 140mm fans or 3x 120mm fans in the front panel. Could you not just fit the top and bottom 120mm fans which would leave enough space for the GPU to protrude into the gap where the middle fan would have been?

Hi agw 01,

Many thanks for your comment! :) Yes, that also sounds as valid option, I did not think of mix match the fan size... :) I will have a look to a suitable combination when I have some time! :)

Cheers,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom