A Little Help In Choosing Some Memory?

Associate
Hey there

So i decided to do the jump and go to 2gig of Ram, but i have to say i am pretty lost....

ATM i am running a P4 3-Gig, Radeon X850XT and 512Meg (2x256) of Samsung DDR400 ( Dual Channel )

I have been looking at OCZ Value Ram, because tbh i don't want to spend more than around £170 but i got reading about CAS? and Latency? and timings? and i must say it blew my mind.

I'm not interested in overclocking i just wanna stick the ram in and get a smoother performance particuarly in games :)

So if anyone could give me a bit of an overview on CAS & Timings etc and reccomend some ram for me i would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Alex

Associate
You have a pentium 4 so you should be able to run DDR-2 memory. This runs at a higher clock speed.
The numbers, 2-2-3 are to do with access times.. Yopu want the first three to be low. Read the memory FAQ if you feel up to it.

What core is your CPU?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

Welcome to the forums :)

As he's only running DDR1 at the moment it's unlikely he'll be able to run DDR2 memory unless he has an unusual motherboard :)

As Broon as metioned, CAS, Latency and timings all refer to the access times for your memory. You basically want these to be as low as possible

Your £170 is plenty for some good DDR400 (PC3200) memory with tight timings (2-3-2-5).

I'd go for the G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 (2x1GB) CAS2 Dual Channel Kit (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) (MY-007-GS) for £152.69 inc VAT (currently on offer). See here

Associate
Thank you for the correction goodfellow. :)

Also welocme NeoDragoN, forgot that the first time :D

Edit: You could always try shove some DDR 2 in there but it's probably not the best idea unless you have one of these

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for that guys, my motherboard is a couple of years old, my system was the medion system from Aldi when it had the 9800 XXL in it ( cracking system at the time at a great price ).

CPU-Z picks up the mobo as a MSI MS-7048, and theres not much info about on it on the net, so i am not even gonna try DDR2 with it :) The P4 is a northwood, real old now but still got the grunt :)

I think i am gonna go with what ajgoodfellow has suggested, good price for good ram it seems, i have also seen its praises in other posts on the forum.

Btw thanks for the little explanation :)

Alex

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom