A new contender enters the 'benching' arena

Soldato
I saw an interview with Cavill years ago before Superman came out, he was asked what it was like to play such a legendary character, his reply was something along the lines of...

"it's hardly an iconic character, it's not exactly Shakespeare is it"

He has had a massive shift in recent years but he used to be on a quite high horse, I wonder how much of this now is genuine and how much is pandering to his audience.

Cavill is partly right, it's not Shakespeare, but it is iconic. It's also a lot more accessible and meaningful for a lot of people, and has certainly been around long enough to become iconic.

I think a lot of actors just don't know about the comics, but when they play a part and do it well, they see how much people really appreciate the character they bring to life. Huge Jackman's wife famously told him not to do X-men because it was a "load of rubbish". It's a role that made his career and opened doors for him everywhere.. Robert Downey Jnr has always been humble and grateful to the fans, Christopher Reeve believed in Superman because he saw the effect the role he played had on other people (like the dying child who just wanted to spend a day with Superman).

There are great stories in comics that have become modern tales, and that why the movies plunder the stories and characters so much. Sure, like everything, there's a lot of dross too, but there is also gold in there to be mined, and I think people like Cavill who start off ignorant can only be successful by understanding that playing these characters is actually an honour that can add to a modern art of storytelling.

Soldato
He seems like a decent enough fella and if something like this helps make PC building seem slightly less "nerdy in a bad way" to people then thats always a bonus. I think with the advent of Twitch/Streaming more <30 year olds are becoming more "PC's aren't just for work or nerds" friendly but the vast majority will be buying pre-builds so I don't think many that watched someone like Cavill build their own will decide to give it a go as it's still a little "complex" for the "never opened the case before" types.

Associate
To my mind, even though he has played - and I've watched him more as - other roles, he always springs to mind as Napoleon Solo in Man From U.N.C.L.E. first.

Back
Top Bottom