1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new year A new War?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by LabR@t, 31 Jan 2006.

1. LabR@t

Capodecina

Do you think we will see the start of a new conflict with IRAN this year?
    There seems to be plenty of speculation about air strikes are imminent .
    Link
    link

I really hope this doesn't happen when I was young I read a interpretation of Nostradamus and the way things are panning out it all seems very similar

2. @if ®afiq

Soldato

3. LabR@t

Capodecina

oops sorry didn't see them threads :)

4. Sanzy

Banned

Think of the stories can tell your grand children ... ive lived through 6 wars , this is baring in mine you live to survive seems mars has declared war on us in August

5. Treefrog

PermaBanned

Seeing that America is geographically isolated from the rest of the world, especially the African-Eurasian landmass, they need to have a good footing in that area in order to have some control there. Iran is situated almost perfectly central with regard to these continents and I can't help feeling that Iran has been the strategic objective all along, with Iraq and Afghanistan just tactical staging grounds en route to Iran.

6. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Actually Iraq is the centre of the Middle East, and is by US Commanders views, the best strategic site as you are right in the middle of the countries that you see as enemies.

There was actually a picture i posted here probably over a year ago that showed how Iraq was to be used as a foothold in the middle east as it is ideal placed to have staging points for operations against Iran, Iraq itself, Syria, Lebanon, at least from a land assault perspective. As someone (possibly you) has stated, Iran is surrounded from the sea by high mountains. Why attack an enemy above you when you hold bases in a country thats right next door?

I'd bet Iran too has upped its defences certainly in response to the IAEA's proposals regarding its nuclear stance, on its Western border, and it already has done along the north west, with the use of AA guns ready to shoot down any attempt by Israel to fly over Turkey and attack from the North

>| Raoh |<

7. Visage

PermaBanned

Why would Turkey (a muslim country), give Iareal permission to overfly its territory to attack Iran?

Easier just to take the direct route across Iraq, or, as I've argued, just let the US do the job....

8. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Did Syria or Jordan give Israel permission to use its airspace on the Osirik reactor when it bombed that in 1981?

It doesnt intend to ask permission

>| Raoh |<

9. Visage

PermaBanned

Are you suggesting that traversing over 500 miles of the hostile airspace of a NATO equipped country with modern anti-air weponary, including air-to-air refuelling, is the same as a 100 mile dash over Syrian or Jordanian airspace?

10. RaohNS

Sgarrista

From http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GD07Ak01.html

But on the page as you say, it does have a problem as Turkey has good relations with Iran. A dash over Syria would be a little out of the question as the two countries now operate quite hi-tech radar systems, any attempt by Israel to go over Syria now would result in Syria warning Iran of the coming danger.

But there was an article of the BBC somewhere (cant locate it despite searches) that Iran is in the process of upping its Anti-Aircraft guns in the North

>| Raoh |<

11. anarchist

PermaBanned

12. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Similar but not quite the story i'm sure that it had statement saying recent spy plane/satellite images showed Iran moving their AA guns up towards the Turkish border.

Also does anyone think that attacks on British troops (2 in the last week) could be some sort of retaliation from the Iranians claim that it was the British who bombed them last week? Given the areas very close proximity to the Iranian border in the first place?

>| Raoh |<

13. AJUK

Man of Honour

Unless other European nations join in, namely France, I doubt the West would be able to mount an invasion at the moment. We are certainly stretched and even the septics are starting to struggle manpower wise. Yes we have the kit and could wipe them off the face of the earth if desired but practically the West would need to invade. There is also the issue that Iran is a much stronger military adversary than Iraq could ever hope to be.

In all, unless we change the way we fight wars (i.e. just obliterate them) I don't see a war against Iran starting anytime soon as a unilateral US/UK campaign. Airstrikes are obviously no problem but ground troops would be.

14. THMRK

Mobster

Is this thread really needed though? I mean, there are two recent threads on it eventually, everyone will keep repeating their opinions or positions on this issue and the same debates will take place when it's been a little less than 2 weeks since this was last discussed.

However, my view is that with Sharon out of the game, we'll see no airstrikes this year.

15. Treefrog

PermaBanned

You don't see any significance in Dan Halutz(?) being given the job of C-in-C of Israeli armed forces? The first time ever that an air force officer has held the position.

16. THMRK

Mobster

I have to say, I don't know much about the man. He seems to have had a good period in charge of the Israeli Air Force. But what significance do you see in his appointment?

17. V-Spec

Mobster

I've been thinking for a while that the war in Iraq was less to do with Oil or removing Saddam than alot of people think... Bush and Blair are not stupid by any means, we may question what they do but they know more than any of us.
    It seems that holding Iraq will be crucial in the next 5 years at least, America cannot allow Iran to posses nuclear weapons, if Iran end up with nuclear weapons then we could be back in the dark ages.
    But then on the other hand, why does america class itself as a world police force saying which countries can or can't have nuclear weapons..

18. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Very true i think if Iran gets these weapons it will become the bully to which it so often says it is below. Why would a country with that much oil wealth need to have a nuclear reactor? Regardless of moving to cleaner fuels. In honesty i think Iran would be the country to cast the first stone should it acquire nuclear weapons. The reason for this being, they dont fully understand the potential of such a weapon.

>| Raoh |<

19. anarchist

PermaBanned

A more obvious question is, why would a country with so much oil wealth want to destroy itself by launching a suicidal nuclear attack against another country?

20. RaohNS

Sgarrista

why would a suicide bomber with a family want to destroy himself by launching a suicidal explosion in and against another country?

>| Raoh |<