A non gaming PC, mainly used for editing large photos/video editing

MrX

MrX

Associate
Hi,

Firstly thank you in advance, it has been a while since I did a build and a lot has changed ! (am using an early i7)

I don't use a PC for gaming anymore, much prefer an Xbox :) As header, I mainly want it for photo editing and sometimes video editing.

I have always been a fan of Gigabyte boards, they seem very reliable, are they still good? Will be guided by yourselves. I also still have a very good Antec Quiet case (my childhood of RGB LEDs keeping me awake at night is over, lol!). Prefer SSD drives (probably fit 2) and a conventional drive for backups. Already have older Dell monitors, will change them later. Also 32 gb RAM, I use a lot. Also, a fan of Corsair PSUs, are they still good? Don't think I need watercooling for non gaming setup, however I do like quiet, air cooled is fine, but good quiet cooler please.

Thank you, MrX

MrX

MrX

Associate
OP
Hi Micky,

Budget is flexible, do not need a gfx card or monitors etc, however cheaper the better but don't mind paying more for quality.

I have an Antec P183, quite a bit of room in there. If you want to spec me up another case, no problem, need quiet, good looks with no windows or fancy lights :)

Soldato
The the Ryzen 5700G is to be released soon. That is an 8 core 16 thread part. RRP is somewhere around £250. Is 8c 16t enough?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Presume you g6i6t a gpu as you would need one as no onboard graphics. Heres a starting point 8 core , 32gb mobo with Wi-Fi and very quiet cooler, 1 tb m2 drive add another or get a larger if nedded.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,051.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Soldato
Presume you g6i6t a gpu as you would need one as no onboard graphics. Heres a starting point 8 core , 32gb mobo with Wi-Fi and very quiet cooler, 1 tb m2 drive add another or get a larger if nedded.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,051.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)

The PSU is super OTT and lee32uk has been telling me that Corsair no long use Seasonic to build their power supplies and have switched to lower quality OEMs.

Soldato
Wont have to change psu if needs change plus won't be at high load so quieter, feel free to spec him.

The PSU will be much less efficient at lower loads. You just don’t need anything to close to that level.

The 5700G would offer most of the performance of the 5800X and if you shop around you can buy a much better X570 for around that price.

Also if the OP is using 32gb of RAM then 4x8gb of single ranked RAM will probably yield more performance.

MrX

MrX

Associate
OP
Thank you mickfinn and jigger, I will look into your posts. Think you are both in the ballpark with what am after. The PSU I alway like to spec a quality one, even though am not a gamer (well i used to be!), I may well play the odd one. Interesting to hear about Seasonic, I have always rated those.

MrX

MrX

Associate
OP
Question for you all: would you fit a gen 4 PCI 4 SSD drive, they do not seem to be that much more. Have just read a good review of the ADATA S50 for example. Don't know what they are like for a brand though?

Man of Honour
Question for you all: would you fit a gen 4 PCI 4 SSD drive, they do not seem to be that much more. Have just read a good review of the ADATA S50 for example. Don't know what they are like for a brand though?
Wont make much diffrence in general at the moment, pcie4 m2 stands out when transfering data from one fast drive to another equal fast drive. I would suggest ypu look into it further and read some reviews.

Thd b550 motherboard only has one pcie4 m2 slot and a one pcie3 m2 slot if you want 2 x m2 pcie4 slots for the fastest possible data transfer you need an x570 motherboard like the msi x570 tomahawk Wi-Fi .

Back
Top Bottom