• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A P4 3.2Ghz Prescott is Equivalent to What Core2Duo?

Associate
once you go dual core, you'll hate Prescott... that useless chip... and the sad thing is that where i come from, people STILL think it's the best thing since sliced bread...

played Bioshock on my PC (Vista 5.6 WEI, 10500 or so 3dmarks), and the loading times were cut from 6+ minutes, to 30 or so seconds.

yet, both the P4 "HT" and my cpu run at the same clock speed...

the E2**0 chips give Pentium a good name :D

Soldato
Not a huge difference if you look at the games benchmarks though.

im with you on this one, i went from athlon 4200+ to E6750 clocked at 3.8Ghz and i can't say i noticed any huge improvement in games or general day to day use either and i don't think the 4200+ was much faster than pentiums, though if your a benchmarking fanatic its hugely superior

Associate
My Prescott P4 3.4ghz (was one of the higher end ones) ran at 90C idle, i've given that PC to my dad :)

And yes, the thermal die in them obviously sucks, i laughed when it said it was 100C+ and i could touch it..

Soldato
My Prescott P4 3.4ghz (was one of the higher end ones) ran at 90C idle, i've given that PC to my dad :)

And yes, the thermal die in them obviously sucks, i laughed when it said it was 100C+ and i could touch it..

With a good heatsink 100C at the core could easily be <50 degrees at the heatsink. That is the entire point of a heatsink, to absorb the heatsource, and disipate that heat as quickly as possible.

Even the IHS is generally 15 degrees cooler than the core itself.

Anyway, to the OP, at any given clock speed, a C2D is about twice as fast as the equivilent P4, so to compare the P4D (dual core P4 for a more direct comparison), a 1.6Ghz C2D will perform about the same as a 3.2Ghz P4D

Soldato
so, an E6750 @ 3.2ghz will be likely 4 times as fast as a Prescott 3.2?

Depends on the task, many applications today still dont make full use of multi cores, so on average running a legacy single threaded application that isnt bottlenecked by a GPU, you could expect to see a 3.2Ghz E6750 being about twice as fast as a Prescott 3.2

But yes, if you used something which scales very well such as as media encoding, web server applications etc, then yes you could see as much as 4 times more processing power from a 3.2Ghz dual core "conroe" compared to a 3.2ghz single core Prescott.

Back
Top Bottom