1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A political party with mainstream political views, but against ALL forms of religion!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maniac618, 7 Jul 2006.

1. Maniac618

Wise Guy

On this most appopriate day I thought I'd share my idea.

Someone somewhere or a group of people should start up an English political party completely opposed to all forms of religion, but with otherwise mainstream political policies and ideas.

Imagine a country, and even a world without religion to bring about terrorism, war and suffering.

A set of basic morals very similar in all reigions anyway, would be as far as it would go to keep a little morality and insight into right and wrong, but apart from that all traces of religion would be abolished.

It would bring people together.

2. Phalanx

PermaBanned

you make it seem as if all forms of terrorism are influenced by religion :rolleyes:

3. Steeps

Soldato

religions already do this, and opposing religion is not going to make the situation any better.

4. William

Capodecina

I can imagine the party, it wouldn't get in.

5. Maniac618

Wise Guy

Extremist muslims wouldn't be blowing themselves up if it wasn't for Islam existing in the first place.

Obviously, religion isn't the cause of every act of terrorism, but at the moment it's about 90% of the cause of most attacks (israel, palestine, iraq, afghanistan, america and ireland in the past)

6. jezsoup

PermaBanned

To right, sounds a stupid idea when you really think about it!

It will be like the National front, they NF, have a few mentalist hardcore followers while the rest of us scoff and laugh at them.

7. William

Capodecina

Do you not think the use of religion is a veneer for an underlying problem and if removed it would simply be replaced by somthing else?

8. Maniac618

Wise Guy

no they don't they only bring people of the SAME faith together. They have finer points that disagree with other religions and cause conflict and friction that way, whether it is said publically or not.

9. Steeps

Soldato

why not look on the other side of the plate, we complain about out of control youths on the street vandalising property and causing annoyance to residents. what religion should we blame for that? :rolleyes:

10. [DOD]Asprilla

Capodecina

Religion isn't a cause of terrorism or war, it's just an excuse and, when twisted can be used to rally the gullible to the cause.

11. JRS

Capodecina

No, it would remove one excuse that terrorists could use, or even drive all religion 'underground'......which would be a pretty bad move.

What, you don't think they'd have found a different excuse?

12. William

Capodecina

A party that wished to extinguish religion would do the following:

Unite all relgions against that party.
    Fracture support among the non-religious so that some of your seemingly natural policy followers would now be against you.
    Be a huge media target for ridicule.

13. Pudney

Soldato

I think if you took religion out of the equation people would be more than able to find another reason to start conflicts. It's in our nature, and essentially boils down to terrortorial and people control. It's a bit naive to think that it wouldnt still happen without religion.

14. Jumpingmedic

Wise Guy

So much for freedom to believe whatever you like. OH NO IT'S THE THOUGHT POLICE!

:rolleyes:

15. jezsoup

PermaBanned

Ive siad it before, but people will always find reasons to kill each other. Many many killings/genocides/acts of violence/terrorism are done not under the banner of religion. Pol pot, thet tutsis and hutus, WW1, WW2, stalins mass genoicde etc etc

End of the day religion does far more good than it does bad, its just a convenient whipping boy and scape goat.

16. Kroegen

PermaBanned

What a silly idea. :rolleyes:

17. Maniac618

Wise Guy

that's parents failing to teach standard worldwide morals, not such fiction as jesus walking on water or whatever. No religion is required for simple right and wrong lessons. Yes religion created morals, but the actual need for religion now that we have morals is non existant.

Hmmm, well I've had no sleep all night as I've been games testing, but I think when I wake, i'll get my idea moving, maybe not even as a politcal party, but I'll do something.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2006
  18. William

Capodecina

The actual spiritual need of a few billion might create a need....

19. Rich_L

Capodecina

I think you would get further with a party that simply argued for total secularism in government, rather than being against religion full stop.

20. William

Capodecina

Well France managed it by about 1905.