A political party with mainstream political views, but against ALL forms of religion!

Associate
I reply that I made to someone above but I think would be better here...

Yes I do believe that a terrorist is religious.
See point 4 of the definition of religion that I quoted above

re·li·gion (r-ljn)
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

To be religious does not mean you have to have a faith in a god. An atheistic politician according to that definition above can be classed as having a religion, a religion defined by what he believes; his policies and how he acts upon them....

A terrorist is nothing more than an ultra violent politician that kills and maims in pursuit of his beliefs, he may say he does these violent acts in the name of his god and sadly to the cost of his victims he may truly believe that and its people like this that make the uninformed believe that ALL religion is bad...

Associate
OP
[DOD]Asprilla said:
Or do you mean that they are weak willed and require the emotional support of religion?

Yes, and it worries me that people feel they can sometimes also rest on religion as an excuse for an action they have decided to take etc, for example the media rightly got on Mr Blair's back when he mentioned God in one of his talks about going to war.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
To Van_Damm

Further to your point regarding proof that God etc exists.

Science is merely a series of coincidences that fit a certain formula. When something outwith the formula happens we change it to fit the new series of coincidences. There are no facts in science merely actions that fit a formula. I consider myself a scientific person and studied all three sciences to a reasonable level but physics to a high level.

Science is constantly searching for big answers to big questions. Look at all the numerous experiments underway at the moment - off the top of my head there is the experiment involving lasers over huge distances trying to identify the basic building blocks of the universe. There exists no proof that it will happen. If it does not happen they will continue to search. These blocks may never be found and yet people will continue to believe in them and search for them.

Tell me how that faith in something that has not yet been proven differs in the faith someone has that God exists.

Do you not think that the reason that God will never be proven or disproven is the damage that it would cause to the world. Just try to imagine what would happen to civilisation. For me it is a truly scary thought.

Associate
OP
I've had a few beers now, so reading this very passionate and well argued thread in full will be a bit hard for me right now, but it's interesting to see how many views have been expressed, ive read pages 1 and 2.

I'd just like to say that I have seen things from both sides of the fence, both being religious as a youth and now an athiest in my early 20's.

I went to Cubs and Scouts as a child and we were pretty much forced into being religious as part of it with church visits and prayers here and there. I found it rather pointless and forced and for me it didn't really aid me in any way.

My mother is a christian but not completely, as in she doesn't go to church or believe everything and my dad is an athiest.

I grew up with christian morals however, and it could be argued that has kept me a good person in later life, and some of those were taught in cubs and scouts, but i believe that i would have been fine if only directed by my athiest father as he abides common morals too without having to believe in christ's resurrection or him walking on water etc.

Anyway, I think I've created a beast of a thread I can't tame, I shall retire from this for a day or so lol.

Associate
Bar said:
To Van_Damm

Further to your point regarding proof that God etc exists.

Science is merely a series of coincidences that fit a certain formula. When something outwith the formula happens we change it to fit the new series of coincidences. There are no facts in science merely actions that fit a formula. I consider myself a scientific person and studied all three sciences to a reasonable level but physics to a high level.

Science is constantly searching for big answers to big questions. Look at all the numerous experiments underway at the moment - off the top of my head there is the experiment involving lasers over huge distances trying to identify the basic building blocks of the universe. There exists no proof that it will happen. If it does not happen they will continue to search. These blocks may never be found and yet people will continue to believe in them and search for them.

Tell me how that faith in something that has not yet been proven differs in the faith someone has that God exists.

Do you not think that the reason that God will never be proven or disproven is the damage that it would cause to the world. Just try to imagine what would happen to civilisation. For me it is a truly scary thought.

I too am studying physics at a post graduate level :)
I think there is a big misconception in the meaning of "belief": there is the scientific meaning of belief and the religious meaning of belief. (<-- my 2p's worth regardless of dictionary defintions :p )

As you point out there are many unkowns and experiements are trying to prove/disprove certain ideas (do neutrinos have mass, alternative theories to general relativity that do away with dark matter etc...), so in that respect if I say I believe in, say, general relativity, this is (in my mind ;) ) saying: I believe that the current theory of general relativity best fits the data that is reproducable.
IF someone comes long with a better explanation of gravity then I will beleive it (in the scientific sense), infact (don't know if you read it?) it was claimed in Physics World that some scientists are losing their objectivity by "clinging onto the theory of general relativity at all costs" and as a consequence are bad scientists. (if you interested here is a link to one theory of gravity called MOND: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/mond/)

The point I am trying to make is a theory or proposal of something in science (to be credable) has to be based on current physical laws: e.g. If I say general relativity is wrong and my theory is right, it has to fit observable data AND be consitent with our current understanding of laws (if not then I must explain that as well). All of this is under close scrutiny of my peers and logical arguements. A religous proposal (such as the existence of god or jesus walking on water) goes against the physical laws that we currently understand them (esp. for jesus walking on water). The burden of proof for science is massive (as close to fact as the human mind and endevours (SP?) can get) but for religion it is zero, it merely has to be said (i.e. "god exists") and that is it, nothing more than that, in that respect I can not accept the existence of god becasue someone says so and there is no evidence (someone might: the bible is evidence, however it is not up to the standard of what scientific evidence is).

Therefore I think the burden of proof lies with the believer if the believer has outlandish claims (no offence to any intended, e.g. If i said I was god would anyone beleive me? Would the burden of proof be on me to prove it? If I did make that claim does it mean there is a possiblity that I am because I said so even though before that I believed I was not?) such as god made the world in 6 days, where scientifically this is contradicted by the accretion (SP? it is bad today :( ) disc theory/belief.

There an arguement that religion is "hard-wired" into our brains and only 1% of the population do not have this trait of anything that is supernatural or religous:
Stewart Guthrie's recent book "Faces in the Clouds: A New Theory of Religion" proposes the challenging thesis that the psychological basis of religious belief is the nearly universal human tendency to anthropomorphize.[13] He argues that humans have a nearly universal and overwhelming tendency to attribute human characteristics to nonhuman things and events. He suggests that this tendency is hardwired -- an evolutionary adaptation. Thus, we see faces in clouds and Jesus in a picture of spaghetti on a billboard. (This really happened!) More seriously, we tend to see random events as orchestrated by unseen benevolent or malignant intelligences. When I curse the traffic light that always stops me or the photocopier that breaks down whenever the job is urgent, I'm anthropomorphizing.

Then there is a belief of "Spinozism" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinozism) which Einstein himself believed, especially when was quoted when talking about quatum mechanincs "god does not play with dice". I personally do not believe in this (because I fall into the 1% :p ) but I would describe it as phisophical rather than religous.

EDIT: To answer your question directly:
I found this (from:http://www.flashback.se/archive/atheism_faq.html) which sumerises my point of view and holds the key difference between belief/faith of the unknown in the scientific sense and of the religious sense:
that it (religion) creates information from no information. This is considered invalid in information theory.
Whereas a belief in the scientific sense creates information from the observable world around us.

Last edited:

Bar

Bar

Soldato
A far more robust response than I was expecting :)

I can fully understand and appreciate your view point. I suppose to me its a leap of faith believing in God.

The work I do at the moment is trying to prove the financial benefits of introducing an Enterprise Architecture. To those who have done it they have seen the benefits with their own eyes and know it saves them money. But none have been able to quantify the savings.

In order to get the buy in I need to get the directors to make a leap of faith and invest in it. I suppose I view believing in God in the same way. Lots of people claim to experience God and cite examples of miracles etc but its never happened to me - yet I still believe.

One final note that I would make and no one has ever been able to provide a full response to this. Prove to me that what you see is actually there and not a series of electrical stimulations within your brain. I throw that in as it comes back to the only argument that I really have.

Its all about faith. Faith that my wife and children are real. Faith that my life itself is real. Faith that a God exists that I can pray will protect my kids when I am not around. Is it a comfort blanket with which to hide behind? Possibly, but I do not use it as such. I simply believe.

Man of Honour
Maniac618 said:
On this most appopriate day I thought I'd share my idea.

Someone somewhere or a group of people should start up an English political party completely opposed to all forms of religion, but with otherwise mainstream political policies and ideas.

Imagine a country, and even a world without religion to bring about terrorism, war and suffering.

A set of basic morals very similar in all reigions anyway, would be as far as it would go to keep a little morality and insight into right and wrong, but apart from that all traces of religion would be abolished.

It would bring people together.

So basically, you want to get rid of what you see as a problem by being as intolerant as possible and by trying to control how people think?

That's rather at odds with the generally mainstream english ideas of freedom of speech and expression, as well as freedom from interference...

No thanks, I think I'll decline....

Associate
Bar said:
One final note that I would make and no one has ever been able to provide a full response to this. Prove to me that what you see is actually there and not a series of electrical stimulations within your brain. I throw that in as it comes back to the only argument that I really have.

Its all about faith. Faith that my wife and children are real. Faith that my life itself is real. Faith that a God exists that I can pray will protect my kids when I am not around. Is it a comfort blanket with which to hide behind? Possibly, but I do not use it as such. I simply believe.
Ah i think i know what your talking about (I have had the same thoughts as well! Doesn't everyone at some stage in their life?) maybe this might interest you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism
Especially the epistemological link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology
Interesting read!

Associate
ElRazur said:
What im trying to say is perhaps getting rid of both and replace it with something else - a new idea maybe, might help make the world a better place?

A new idea? A new idea that could easily become a religion in itself? :eek:

Swings and roundabouts...

;)

Soldato
aardvark said:
i completely agree with the above 2 posts.

not much of a contribution, oh well.

You're the only one who commented or even mentioned that they'd read my post ^^

Everything else seems to be degrading into either a "proove god exists" thread or "I want freedom of speech" thread.

Bottom line is, people are allowed to think what they want as long as it has *no practical effect* whatsoever. You have freedom to think that the soul resides in the skull, if you really want. But kill someone trying to find it and you will be taken to court.

Want to think one person was the Son of a supreme being? Thats fine. But don't try and force someone else to believe otherwise, or try and act in his name, because society already doesn't have a place for it.

Society already has segregated those who want to worship, they have their little dank holes to spend an hour each sunday, surrounded by their own heritage and self-praise. As much as I'd like to burst their bubbles, I can't agree with the OP, even though I really, really would like to. I just can't take that freedom away.

It would be the same as bursting the football bubble in this country, or the monarchy bubble, or hundreds of other continued practices that only exist because of continuity, rather than choice. Remember, choice is of the people, and if they want to wallow in mud, let them, you cannot democratically take it away, because they *are* the democracy.

As I have said in the past - religion, a self-perpetuating meme of control. You can destroy science, kill all the people involved, burn all the books, but it will be reborn. The same cannot be said for religion without "Divine Intervention".

Soldato
Maniac618 said:
Someone somewhere or a group of people should start up an English political party completely opposed to all forms of religion, but with otherwise mainstream political policies and ideas.

Just because ideology,discourse and beliefs should not automatically be tolerated or accepted because they are part of a religion, nor should they be rejected on that fact

Permabanned
Was said:
so you class intelligent people as strong minded? i would class them as intelligent not strong minded, they are different things, tho not mutually exclusive, a bit like common sense really.....

When did I say that? They are both intelligent and strong minded. Where you got your reply to my post from is beyond me....

Back
Top Bottom