• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A question about graphics cards and digital imaging

Associate
I like to do a bit of art photography but I'm wondering if any more serious digital artists can answer this question:-
Doe photographs look better with better graphics cards (DX12 for example?)

Associate
If I'm not mistaken, it's more about your monitor first of all. Your GPU can only do so much if your monitor isn't going to display all those lovely colours (these days most onboard GPU should be fine until you get a swanky monitor). If your monitor has a higher bit panel, then a GPU that can output to a higher bit level would be useful for smoother gradients (then you look for a GPU that can output a higher bit rate). But even then you'd need software that can support that too.

DX12 shouldn't come into it, unless if you're doing art that uses a game engine that uses DX12.

Associate
OP
If I'm not mistaken, it's more about your monitor first of all. Your GPU can only do so much if your monitor isn't going to display all those lovely colours (these days most onboard GPU should be fine until you get a swanky monitor). If your monitor has a higher bit panel, then a GPU that can output to a higher bit level would be useful for smoother gradients (then you look for a GPU that can output a higher bit rate). But even then you'd need software that can support that too.

DX12 shouldn't come into it, unless if you're doing art that uses a game engine that uses DX12.

I use a laptop and the software comes from three different good (but legit) publishers but ADOBE aren't amongst them. But what I can do is use the software to try and make them look better before the real fun starts.
You're right about the gaming side of it though.
Am looking at upgrading to a new, better laptop (and have one in mind that suits my gaming requirements well) within the next too weeks.
I meantioned the one I want in a thread asking for opinions about it but got a word from the mods about the rules about competitors (I only wanted to know other peoples' thoughts on it).

Soldato
I like to do a bit of art photography but I'm wondering if any more serious digital artists can answer this question:-
What do you mean by look better?

Do you want a monitor that more accurately produces the images on your screen? Or are you talking about the tweaking process in software?

Associate
All other things being equal, you *shouldn't* notice a difference between 2 graphics cards in the same machine. Its all the same digital data, and the cards should be pushing the same digital signal to the monitor. As above, the monitor makes some of the biggest tangible differences to how it looks.

Soldato

Simple answer. No. It will look no different on the same monitor whether you have a Nvidia GT 1030 against a Nvidia RXT 3090.

Its a better monitor that makes the difference if you are simply looking at them via your screen.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.
As long as it lets me do what I want it for, that's all that matters.
Gaming?
I like the open ended ones or ones that last over multiple sessions plus a bit of retro gaming but I'm not a hardcore gamer, just a casual one and I haven't had a good session on ES5 SKYRIM SE for ages and had to end dessions due to pains brought on by Gastro(something)itis and the pains you get due to build up of digestive juices/stomach acid'd make you confess to even creating the C-19 virus just for the pains to go away just for a few hours, only to return later and the pain lasts for well over an hour.
Looks as if I'll have to rely on the software to make the photos look better before I start adding efffects to them.

Back
Top Bottom