A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

Caporegime
Beautiful car Gibbo, having driven one myself out in Dubai a few weeks back. I was quite impressed with it. Mind you the one I drove was a 2012 model but in black.

Immense fun driving it but my mate out there has got rid of it recently and got himself a 488 pista recently. I’m off to Dubai again in a week so will be looking forward to giving that a proper blast.

Soldato
Congrats Andy, superb choice. One hell of a step up from the Jag! Love that deep pearl paint, pops so much more than the 911 did!

OcUK Staff
OP
Top 5 in terms of enjoyment of your cars you've owned?

I find this very difficult, because there is never one star car that outperforms in every area, I shall try to narrow it down:

Great things!
1. Saleen Mustang: A proper event, properly rare, crazy noise, insanely raw and fast. Incredible on rails handling on smooth roads.
2. EVO X FQ-360: Grip, grip grip and more grip and incredible on limits and beyond, so easy, but engaging. So good in all weathers, dry, wet and even snow!
3. 911 C2S: Best feel, best steer, incredible engine harmonics in cabin due to engine behind, proper handling car with absolute best communication from all four wheels and steering, a true drivers car! The brakes, oh my the brakes!
4. M3 Track / CSL: Best car for drifting, incredible balance, incredible control, gear box brutal, engine sound like a DTM car, feels light!
5. SVR: Grip, rear biased AWD so can skid but its hard to control with such huge torque and such insane throttle response from supercharger, noise, looks, power and more POWER! ZF8 masterpiece, incredible comfort, remote start, heated everything, fantastic toys!
6. Clio 172 Cup: A car you can drive 11/10 everywhere you go, wet or dry, feel like a kid, a hooligan, so much fun, but a bit boring in track after a while, due to FWD, can't do skids, not easily.

Bad things!
1. LHD, handling on a poor road and just overall quality.
2. Got a bit boring, sounded a bit naff.
3. Not enough power, sounded a bit poor on outside compared to like say a V8.
4. Nothing really too bad, but they need quite a lot of money throwing at them to be good!
5. Can feel the weight in the car, particular in wet conditions, SC brutal torque can make throttle finesse not so easy.
6. Built cheap, lack of power!

The above is not in order, just the six cars that had real stand out features!

I think that sums up the best traits, yes others have been good, but those are the most note worthy cars I've owned, glad to still be owning two of them. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow. Proper car that.

I made a mistake a few years ago. I almost bought one with 98k of options but lost my bottle at the last min. Prices have gone up since.

Associate
For securely storing them in the dealers key locker, once the dodah is pushed into its slot they usually have to enter a code to release them, a similar thing is used at distribution centres for truck keys.:)
Ah that makes a lot of sense! I suppose the cars I've bought have never been valuable enough to use these which explains why I've never seen one:D

OcUK Staff
OP
Sorry i missed that, i thought ferraris were notorious for stupidly expensive bills whenever any driving was done (not dissing your purchase or in anyway jealous:p).

Old ones used to cost vastly more due to belts and chains needing changing which was typically engine out jobs, things improved a lot since the 360 and the 458 essentially become a modern car and as such minor service at £900 and major at £1200 seems very fair pricing wise, I am sure a spark plug change will add £500 on top of course because Ferrari tax, but they are cheaper to service than a Lamborghini and not really much more than an M car. The dealership did say its an unfortunate perception customers have and are pleasantly surprised.

Of course there are many things warranty does not cover which are costly, a set of ceramic disc and pads all round is 20k if you go with Ferrari, dampers are £3000 per pair etc.

Congrats doesn't seem two minutes ago you only had a Golf GTI, huge step up.

It was a Golf R and it was always a temp car whilst I waited for next car to come, one of my work colleagues purchased it from me and loves it. :)

Back
Top Bottom