A rogue US soldier has shot dead 16 Afghan civilians

Associate
http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16186397

When will the cycle of death end, I expect it to blow up again now around the world in protest :(

America is not exactly doing there self any favours after first burning Koran's and then this happening.

Why isn't ammo guarded by two people all day and night when guns are not being used ? Surly this would stop incidents like this happening most of the time. Someone could keep some spare ammo but not enough to go on a massacre like this.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Absolutely shocking but I can't say I blame these things happening. Some people aren't cut out for war (people like myself) and god knows what it can do to you mentally.

Soldato
It depends on what the Americans do with the soldier. If he is brought before a court marshal / trial quickly then it may ease tensions, but if they drag out the affair and it is perceived to be a whitewash then it was only cause further problems.

Caporegime
The Taliban will have ten fold the numbers of supporters today than they did before we went in simply because of all the collateral damage that normal Afghan people have suffered under for the past 10yrs.

Still not sure what we're hoping to achieve by being there.

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Why isn't ammo guarded by two people all day and night when guns are not being used ? Surly this would stop incidents like this happening most of the time. Someone could keep some spare ammo but not enough to go on a massacre like this.
what do you think happens if the base comes under attack and no one has any ammo?

Associate
Erm, aren't people armed all the time, in most places, when in places like Afghanistan?

If your in a base with no need to immediately use your weapon within seconds what's the problem with my idea ? you could come under attack and then the person from your squad could literally press a button and unlock all ammo cabinets. giving you about 5 seconds without ammo.

Also how did this guy manage to leave with a loaded weapon ? Surely someone would have asked him what the hell he was doing.

Soldato
OP
If your in a base with no need to immediately use your weapon within seconds what's the problem with my idea ? you could come under attack and then the person from your squad could literally press a button and unlock all ammo cabinets. giving you about 5 seconds without ammo.

Also how did this guy manage to leave with a loaded weapon ? Surely someone would have asked him what the hell he was doing.

He's an American they all run around with loaded weapon even at home don't they? LOL

Soldato
I'm not sure who's jurisdiction he comes under, the US army or Afghanistan’s legal system, but I think they both use the death penalty.

The US will never let their soldiers be tried under the Afghan justice system, it's always through US courts.
That said, the US will not let this soldier be let off free - his actions have basically rendered the whole US-Afghan relationship and all the US efforts to get 'hearts and minds' of the last few years utterly meaningless.

Make no mistake, this and the Koran incident is a massive, massive step back in relations between host and guests.

Man of Honour
There are always going to be loose cannons in any armed forces.

I don't see why this is being used a reflection on America when it's a lone gunman who had obviously lost the plot.

Not that the above will matter for the 'retaliatory' attacks though.

Absolutely ridiculous. Haha!

Back
Top Bottom