A What car thread?!

Soldato
OK, first off, the MG ZR is not a Rover 25 with "a few different bits of trim". If I had a pound for everytime I posted this I'd be seriously raking it in now

The cars have the same body shape. The ZR is heavily based on the 25.

The ZR has lower, stiffer suspension. It has uprated suspension and steering and uprated brakes. It is a real drivers car unlike the 25.

They are two different cars for two different markets.

The 25 is somewhere inbetween a Fiesta and a Focus (size wise). The 45 is the Focus sized version

The MG ZR is a good car. The 1.8 120+ is the pick of the engines IMO - it's a fair bit quicker than the 1.4 but not much more to insure. It's a lot cheaper to insure than the 160

I also agree that for 10k a year it is just not worth getting a diesel. You'll pay more to buy it, more in servicing and more per litre of fuel so you'd need to be doing somewhat more than that to start saving money.

The 1.8 120+ MG ZR has an official average mpg of 38.0. This is very achievable - the diesel will only average about 10mpg more

I'm insuring an MG ZR 1.8 120+ for £1k fully comp in my own name with no NCB and a fault accident on the policy (21). Don't insure it under your parent's name - it's illegal and you won't get any NCB. To keep the price down try adding your Mum as a named driver - it made a big difference to my quote, particuarly with the Admiral group

Soldato
Mad old tory said:
Give over, a golf for the same money as a focus will be older and have higher mileage. VWs aren't exactly the pillars of reliability they used to be either, and the Focus is very reliable. Factor in the fact tht the focus is a far better car to drive than the golf and you probably won't be a happy chappy if you choose the golf!
3-4k would get an amazing mk3 or an average mk4 golf. ive got a mk3 16v with 150k miles on it. never misses a beat, no rattles, no shakes. a friend of mine has a '00 focus, no where near as many miles my car, it rattles like... well, a ford lol

Soldato
Matt82 said:
3-4k would get an amazing mk3 or an average mk4 golf. ive got a mk3 16v with 150k miles on it. never misses a beat, no rattles, no shakes. a friend of mine has a '00 focus, no where near as many miles my car, it rattles like... well, a ford lol

Fact is you will get a newer focus for the money. The focus is reliable, it may have the odd rattle or squeak, but Id much rather a newer focus than an old golf. Actually Id rather a focus than a mk4 golf at any price (except an r32), seen as the mk4 golf is overweight and pretty poor to drive, compared to the focus which is widely regarded to be the best in its class by quite a way.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
£2000 for a 5 or 6 year old Golf or Focus?

Whoa, dream on. Try well over £3k for that. The only 5-6 year old cars for £2k are stuff like Mondeo's and inherently gash stuff like Matiz's, IMHO.

A 2000 Golf is approaching £5k..

Ok, brain wasn't working just before I went to sleep last night. £2.5k seems to be able to get you 97-98-99 age Focuses (Focii?). Nothing wrong with one a couple of years older for the OP, it's not going to make any difference reliabilitywise, as long as he finds a car in good condition that's been looked after.

Man of Honour
ajgoodfellow said:
OK, first off, the MG ZR is not a Rover 25 with "a few different bits of trim".

Yes it is - it is simply a Rover 25 with a bodykit, sports suspension and different brakes - nothing more. It doesn't make it a different car, in the same way that a BMW 330i Sport is hardly a different car to a BMW 330i SE even though the differences between them are the same as the differences between a Rover 25 and an MG ZR.

Man of Honour
Matt82 said:
3-4k would get an amazing mk3

No, it would get an overpriced Mk3 by about £2-3k! It's a car thats been out of production for nearly 10 years*, if people paid their true worth and nothing more it'd be down the Mk3 Astras at the £1k tops end of the market, it's only VW's overinflated, vastly exagerated image/reliability reputation that keeps the prices so ridiculous.

*Unless you count the Mk4 Cabrio, which was infact a Mk3 with a different front, it even had a Mk3 interior, yet people were stupid enough to STILL be paying £18,000 for these as recently as 2-3 years ago..

Back
Top Bottom