• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

a64 3200 or 3700

Associate
yeah it did make a difference. i dont know how much was the chip and how much was me playing with my new massive amounts of torque though! ;)
still got 40+ though! that was down back roads though all the way to work, should get loads more if you are on a roads.

dunno if we can discuss selling outside the members market. will have to check and maybe email me or something. a sub 30 second superpi 1m chip for about 140 quid would be cool though wouldnt it!

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
dalex said:
i have two pc's both on asrock dual sata II
one has 3200 and one has 3700 both are overclocked
3200 will take 2hrs to encode a film
3700 will take just over an hour to encode a film
the 3700 is the better chip by far and very cheap oem on here at the moment
the two rigs have different graphics cards in so i couldnt compare graphically as one is agp the other is pcie

I think that rules out the 3200, thanks

Associate
Zefan said:
If it's more than that 3700 then you'll be getting a very VERY bad deal.

how can you say that! how is a rare stepping 3 gig opteron inferior to a 3700?
i know you can get a rare 3gig 3700 but it is still made with not as high quality components as the opteron. i know the 3700 here is a very, very good deal indeed. but it dont make it a better cpu than an opteron. surely? if you can give me some evidence to the contrary i will be happy to admit i am wrong, until then i will always maintain my stance on the opteron being the better cpu.

have we got any superpi calculations of both chip at the same speed on similar systems?
i tried to have a look but this dial up is sooo slow! :p

Man of Honour
keef said:
it is still made with not as high quality components as the opteron. i know the 3700 here is a very, very good deal indeed. but it dont make it a better cpu than an opteron. surely?

Oh dear. Opteron's and standard AMD64's are EXACTLY the same. Nothing extra goes in to making an Opteron, all they do is find the *MOST* stable chips and stack them in the opteron pile. Sure, an opteron clocked at 2.0 stock is a better cpu and has greater potential for overclocking than an AMD64 clocked at 2.0 stock, but if you can get a 64 clocked at 2.4 for £30 less than an opteron clocked at 2.0 there's simply no question which is better value.

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
keef said:
yeah it did make a difference. i dont know how much was the chip and how much was me playing with my new massive amounts of torque though! ;)
still got 40+ though! that was down back roads though all the way to work, should get loads more if you are on a roads.

dunno if we can discuss selling outside the members market. will have to check and maybe email me or something. a sub 30 second superpi 1m chip for about 140 quid would be cool though wouldnt it!

all my driving is motorwzy or a roads so I should get mid 40s compared to my 30-32! a fair improvement for the same bhp figures, and the diesel has loads more torque.
don't want you to get in trouble for selling out of members are, sorry. I don't want to spend that much anyway, thanks. the more my budget creeps up, the more I look a x2 processors and 140 is going near to the price of a x2 3800

Back
Top Bottom