A8R32-MVP what is it

Associate
Is the 0404 BIOS any good, i am actually still usingg 0311, im abit scared to use any other BIOS as i dont want the same problem (constant freezes in games) to come back, but does 0404 operate better then 0311? if so, i might flash my bios to that if im convinced :p

Associate
I was on 0311 before going to 0404. Managed 3ghz with 0404 which I couldn't get with 0311.

Er... Mind you, 0404 came out at the same time as i set up my watercooling so I can't really say whether it was the cooling or the bios that helped :D

Re: freezing in games - this might not be relevant, but have you got an overclock going? The reason I ask is that when I was clocking up to 3ghz I got to a point i thought was stable (it was certainly stable enough for 3dmark06, SuperPi 8M and a couple of hours of Prime95) until i noticed lock-ups and freezing in games. Usually intense stuff like Quake, F.E.A.R. etc at high res with all the eye candy on. I cured it completely by enabling vcore overvoltage +100mv.

Associate
daftVader said:
I was on 0311 before going to 0404. Managed 3ghz with 0404 which I couldn't get with 0311.

Er... Mind you, 0404 came out at the same time as i set up my watercooling so I can't really say whether it was the cooling or the bios that helped :D

Re: freezing in games - this might not be relevant, but have you got an overclock going? The reason I ask is that when I was clocking up to 3ghz I got to a point i thought was stable (it was certainly stable enough for 3dmark06, SuperPi 8M and a couple of hours of Prime95) until i noticed lock-ups and freezing in games. Usually intense stuff like Quake, F.E.A.R. etc at high res with all the eye candy on. I cured it completely by enabling vcore overvoltage +100mv.
Freezing in games happened with the first BIOS then was fixed with 0311 which im on now, but 0311 still has little issues, just wanted to know if 0404 was better, thanks for the input anyway m8, i think i might Flash to 0404 later :D

Associate
I still think this board has some timing issues as I get pauses in the mouse fairly regular regardless of what I am doing (even at the desktop), I originally thought it was my Saitek optical mouse, however it still occurs with a standard PS2 mouse.
Putting in the AMD and Microsoft fixes for X2 Dualcore chips does not make any difference either.
While I would agree its not a major issue it is annoying when it occurs.
Phil

Associate
fizzy said:
Been very slow progress with these. Ati first came back with the usual "try checking your gfx settings automated message". I had to respond to the call and say "no it wasn't fixed" otherwise it would have stayed on closed?? A couple of days ago they finally responded to this - by asking me to run a program which creates a report of the drivers etc on my pc. Nothing back as yet.

As for Asus - just got a reply this morning along the lines of "just got this due to a mail system failure"?!?!?!?! They also state that they have tried this on a board and had no problems.... bit tricky to read as its a bit badly written (probably as its not their first language ) and I can't quite figure out whether they want me to respond to it, or if the details have been passed on already...

....so a week later and nothing much to report...

Well, nothing from Asus at all as yet.....

As for ATI - I'm seriously doubting they are going to be able to do anything. :( Got at email this afternoon with this response for the ticket/the report I sent them :-

"Connection to the system power supply is required:
450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended (assumes fully loaded system)
PCI Express compliant power supply required. Connect directly to the power supply with a 6 pin PCI Express power connector
For CrossFire™: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail

Ensure your power supply meets the requirement.

Bios settings play a big part in system performance. Motherboard manufacturers update their BIOS's from time to time, so it would also be good check for updates. Updates can give enhancements to older BIOS's.

If you have not tried to reinstall the ATI drivers, then please download the latest drivers and proceed to the website below for a complete removal and reinstall of the ATI drivers.

=> www.ati.com/install

If all fails test the card on a different system."

I have already told them I'm using an FSP Epsilon 700w psu which I bought specifically as its an ATI approved x1900 crossfire psu! Also told them before that I have upraded m/b bios to latest version, using catalyst 6.4 etc - and even done a fresh rebiuld with xp64..... so I told them it all again on a reply to the ticket (which was currently set at "resolved"?).

The last comment I find annoying - I just happen to have loads of £100+ crossfire capable motherboards lying around, obviously. :( Already sent my first one back - I can't recall if my first board did this to be honest, I was more concerned with the loud mosfet noise coming from the board.

As I mentioned - I seriously doubt if ati are going to be able to solve this one. Been almost 2 weeks now, and they don't appear to have a clue as to what it could be?? In fact they seem to be going down the road of a "performance problem" rather than a display interference issue. : (

Hoping its not another duff board issue. :(

Associate
Some of that ripple effect has been eliminated on my system by running the pcie wires seperatley from everything else. EMI seems to be one of the causes, I stumbled accross this by chance whilst tidying up all the cables on my pc, ymmv. I vividly remember the lines as they were before I tidied and moved all the IDE data, Sata data and all other power cables away from the pcie wires. My case allows me to route some of the cables around a steel plate, so that's how ther pcie are seperated. I think some manufacturers have started shileding the pcie cables on their psu's. It may be worth trying to see if you get any reduction by moving the wires away from other cables, if it works, even to a small extent, I'm sure braided steel sleeves are available for the cables, which should reduce the effect even further.

Associate
hi guys

do not load the lastest u/g from MS for the silicone image sata controller it will stop your pc shutting down

every thing is still ok here no problems

no when does conroe come out , make note to self do not get the first gen mobo for the new chip :D

Associate
Hi , just noticed the noise issue posted and Tagan have started to put ferrite cores on the pcie cables to help absorb and emf straying along the outside of the cable. my old Tagan 580 easycon had them fitted close to the final connector on the gfx card , made if hard to bend though :(

J.T

J.T

Soldato
lordedmond said:
hi guys

do not load the lastest u/g from MS for the silicone image sata controller it will stop your pc shutting down

every thing is still ok here no problems

no when does conroe come out , make note to self do not get the first gen mobo for the new chip :D

I installed this and have had no problems at all, in fact it fixed an issue I was having with the Controller.

Last edited:
Associate
HI Guys

I posted in this thread earlier, Can anyone tell me what the best ram to use with this board is?

I want 1Gb sticks and I'm thinking 2Gb Possibly 4Gb and I know I wont get the full benifit due to win XP only recognising 3.5Gb of it!

Going to use it with an Opteron 170.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
raja said:
Some of that ripple effect has been eliminated on my system by running the pcie wires seperatley from everything else. EMI seems to be one of the causes, I stumbled accross this by chance whilst tidying up all the cables on my pc, ymmv.

I vividly remember the lines as they were before I tidied and moved all the IDE data, Sata data and all other power cables away from the pcie wires. My case allows me to route some of the cables around a steel plate, so that's how ther pcie are seperated.

I think some manufacturers have started shileding the pcie cables on their psu's. It may be worth trying to see if you get any reduction by moving the wires away from other cables, if it works, even to a small extent, I'm sure braided steel sleeves are available for the cables, which should reduce the effect even further.

Well, I re-routed my cables so that they are as far away from any other power/data cables as possible, but I still get the interference. I have noticed when I have been checking things out that when cpu load is high (and intereference is most noticeable) I can hear a similar electrical noise that I had with my old board, but coming from the psu - although a lot fainter. Guess it must be power interference related.

Any ideas where I can get suitable ferrite cores from? Will probably put one on the end of each pcie cable, and the 12v cpu auxilary cable.

Back
Top Bottom