A8R32-MVP what is it

Associate
fizzy said:
Well, nothing from Asus at all as yet.....

As for ATI - I'm seriously doubting they are going to be able to do anything. :( Got at email this afternoon with this response for the ticket/the report I sent them :-

"Connection to the system power supply is required:
450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended (assumes fully loaded system)
PCI Express compliant power supply required. Connect directly to the power supply with a 6 pin PCI Express power connector
For CrossFire™: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail

Ensure your power supply meets the requirement.

Bios settings play a big part in system performance. Motherboard manufacturers update their BIOS's from time to time, so it would also be good check for updates. Updates can give enhancements to older BIOS's.

If you have not tried to reinstall the ATI drivers, then please download the latest drivers and proceed to the website below for a complete removal and reinstall of the ATI drivers.

=> www.ati.com/install

If all fails test the card on a different system."

I have already told them I'm using an FSP Epsilon 700w psu which I bought specifically as its an ATI approved x1900 crossfire psu! Also told them before that I have upraded m/b bios to latest version, using catalyst 6.4 etc - and even done a fresh rebiuld with xp64..... so I told them it all again on a reply to the ticket (which was currently set at "resolved"?).

The last comment I find annoying - I just happen to have loads of £100+ crossfire capable motherboards lying around, obviously. :( Already sent my first one back - I can't recall if my first board did this to be honest, I was more concerned with the loud mosfet noise coming from the board.

As I mentioned - I seriously doubt if ati are going to be able to solve this one. Been almost 2 weeks now, and they don't appear to have a clue as to what it could be?? In fact they seem to be going down the road of a "performance problem" rather than a display interference issue. : (

Hoping its not another duff board issue. :(

Well - got another response from ATI....

"Solution: We have identified this issue and it seems to only happen to Crossfire X1900 and X1800 systems that are using an analog monitor. If you are using a DVI monitor, this would be a different issue.

With the cards that were built by ATI, we are recommending that they be replaced but as your are made by HIS, there may be a different process."

Great - they are now saying its an issue with the crossfire card with analoque monitors? It just so happens I'm using a Sony Triniton based 21" monitor, so disprove that this is the issue.....

..anybody have this issue on a DVI setup, or returned their GFX card to get this sorted? Dunno whether I should see about replacing both or just the crossfire master card.

This is turning out to be a real nightmare. :(

Associate
fizzy said:
Well - got another response from ATI....

"Solution: We have identified this issue and it seems to only happen to Crossfire X1900 and X1800 systems that are using an analog monitor. If you are using a DVI monitor, this would be a different issue.

With the cards that were built by ATI, we are recommending that they be replaced but as your are made by HIS, there may be a different process."

Great - they are now saying its an issue with the crossfire card with analoque monitors? It just so happens I'm using a Sony Triniton based 21" monitor, so disprove that this is the issue.....

..anybody have this issue on a DVI setup, or returned their GFX card to get this sorted? Dunno whether I should see about replacing both or just the crossfire master card.

This is turning out to be a real nightmare. :(

I only get the issue at certain times of day with my new supply, after gaming or when the system has been under load, as I'm typing this the beige window is completeley ripple free, after gaiming it has a ripple effect.

It does not bother me too much anyway. BTW I use a DVI monitor, so for ATI to say it's an analogue issue is wrong.

Soldato
Well, i dont know what to make of this

According to ATI , they are now saying that the Crossfire Edition Card should always be in the Slave(secondary slot) and the Slave card in the Master Slot, regardless of what the motherboard manufacturer recommends in the manual

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=908971#post908971

I am going to try this out, but its a bit difficult for me with the water cooling strapped to them both. So if anybody wishes to try it and report back that would be cool.

Apparantly it has solved a lot of issues for some forum members, all though im very skeptical myself.

Soldato
Coolasmoo said:

According to ATI , they are now saying that the Crossfire Edition Card should always be in the Slave(secondary slot) and the Slave card in the Master Slot, regardless of what the motherboard manufacturer recommends in the manual

I am going to try this out, but its a bit difficult for me with the water cooling strapped to them both. So if anybody wishes to try it and report back that would be cool.

Apparantly it has solved a lot of issues for some forum members, all though im very skeptical myself.

I did it yesterday, the only difference was a slight lowering of interference in my case, but thats all.

I dont remember getting any of this with my old A8R-MVP, im thinking there is something up with the 3200 chipset.

Soldato
I just tried this myself but unfortunately, the Abit doesnt give me any option in the Bios to change the PCI-X boot up card.

So i cant comment myself if it works or not :(

Totally unrelated, but i noticed on ATI's certified motherboard list, they have taken off the Abit AT832X

Whats that all about :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Probably for the very reason you mention, though I'd have thought a bios tweak by Abit could fix that. I'll try the slot position fix tonight. I can set the slave slot to master on the DFI, I know you can on the Asus too.

Last edited:
Associate
Coolasmoo said:

I also tried this last night after reading the above. Master card now on lower slot, slave/normal card on top slot. Changed card boot mode as mentioned and everything seems to work ok...

....but has not cleared up the interference issue. Mine is definately CPU usage related, as when I run a couple of copies of prime95 it becomes very noticeable - and thats not exactly gfx intensive. :D

Guess I had better start looking for some ferrite cores for the power cables...?

Associate
We I guess ATI have a suspicion that the mastercard is more suseptible to emi and radio interferance than the slave. I think the logic behind the move is to put distance between the cpu, memory other power regulators and the mastercard.

I have to say the cable layout does make a small difference, as does the load on the pc. Atm my screen is perfectly clear, if the issue manifests again I may move the mastercard as suggested.

Ferrite cores are available from M****n (i can't type the full name as they're a competitor) you must have a branch near you somewhere though, though I don't think they will be a cure. Shileding all cables from the psu could help, but it would be time consuming, perhaps annoying too, if the returns do not justify the effort or cost.

I must confess though the issue does not bother me too much, I suppose it depends on your system and application, if I were video editing or running graphics design software there would be rise to annoyance.

Regards
Raja

Last edited:
Associate
raja said:
anything new to report aboyt the drivers??

Just finished playing GRAW and the wavy effect can be seen on the beige window as I type this.

hi , just installed and played about 2hrs of brothers in arms without any problems , no freezing stalling , lockups or anything and my 06 score went up a 100 or so

Soldato
raja said:
anything new to report aboyt the drivers??

Just finished playing GRAW and the wavy effect can be seen on the beige window as I type this.

They are shocking if your using crossfire.

The screen flashes an flickers in 3D so i would stay well clear and just pray the officials are not based on these.

Associate
I had that problem, I powered down, reseated the cards, made sure the crossfire cable was sqaure with the socket, reboot and everything worked fine. I'll be damned if I know what fixed it.

edit scrap that, this morning it's started again, let's hope this is a problem only with the beta.

It appears the drivers only initialise one card in Crossfire, that's why the screen flickers in AFR mode. The slave card is not rendering it's frame. If you switch back to supertile, you'll see the missing squares from the second card.

Last edited:
Soldato
raja said:
I had that problem, I powered down, reseated the cards, made sure the crossfire cable was sqaure with the socket, reboot and everything worked fine. I'll be damned if I know what fixed it.

edit scrap that, this morning it's started again, let's hope this is a problem only with the beta.

It appears the drivers only initialise one card in Crossfire, that's why the screen flickers in AFR mode. The slave card is not rendering it's frame. If you switch back to supertile, you'll see the missing squares from the second card.

There is really something up with AFR mode when playing Quake4 with Cat A.I on it starts off ok & then screen twitch and flicker time as one cards brightness has changed, wiching to TMN or TMS shows up the changes with dark & light supertile, but it did that from cat6.2

So fare as long as i dont start Q4 all is well.

Yeah no need to take cards out n stuff to put things right when it flakes out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Final8y said:
There is really something up with AFR mode when playing Quake4 with Cat A.I on it starts off ok & then screen twitch and flicker time as one cards brightness has changed, wiching to TMN or TMS shows up the changes with dark & light supertile, but it did that from cat6.2

So fare as long as i dont start Q4 all is well.

Yeah no need to take cards out n stuff to put things right when it flakes out.

I had this after adjusting the gamma settings on the drivers, it seems this is a little flaky on he drivers at present and only adjusts one card..

If you run all the settings as standard and adjust the gamma in the game all is well

:D

Back
Top Bottom