A8R32-MVP what is it

Soldato
Hi, I don't remember any clicking hapening before the rapid stuttering. However, I'll keep an ear out for it when it happens next time and report back if it does it. I also seem to remembr it happens more often than once an hour, as I said it only occurs when the other, networked, PC is on. Have you put in a technical enquiry to Asus yet?
ChrisC

Soldato
chriscatt said:
Have you put in a technical enquiry to Asus yet?
Nope, mainly because I'm not certain it's the board causing it - as I remember on my first install it never happened, but on my last 2 installs it has (all XP SP2, the last of which was MCE 2005).

I'd narrowed it down to either a BIOS setting I shouldn't have changed, or a driver issue (I'm looking in the direction of the Audigy 4 Pro at the moment). That's not to say I didn't just get my times wrong - it might have been happening from the off.

I'm hooked up to a router, but it's normally the only PC on - my tablet is occasionally hooked up, but the problem happens regardless of that. Which network controller are you using, the PCI or PCIe?

Associate
OMG! about time they pulled their fingers out!

hope it fixes some of the issues peeps have been having!

Gonna flash mine tomorrow, will let you know how it all goes.

Associate
chriscatt said:
Hi SLI_Fallen, your issues are?
ChrisC

Heh, you really want to know? I'll warn you, they are lengthy, but I may have some resolution on two of them. I am trying to resove these to ensure system stability before I start to crank the clocks.

Issue#1: Viewsonic P815 monitor. This monitor supports 100hz@1280x1024. Same *EXACT* monitor drivers being used as in "old" rig (Using Radeon X800 P.E). It functions perfectly. On new box I can only select (the top refresh listed) @85hz. And I discovered that the driver being used on BOTH is actually from microsoft dated from 2001 (I think this is from a driver cab file added in sp2) and when I try to load the viewsonics (which, by the way are NOT certified, but I continue anyways) they appear to load, but upon reboot it reverts back to the microsofts (which again, I said before that 100hz is there and selectable on old rig, only up to 85 is there on the new one.

I do have a theory though that I will try today. Since this is a "side by side" upgrade, I have a KVM to swap between the two. I am wondering if the KVM is limiting the refresh since its thru the KVM that the install/drivers are "seeing" the monitor, rather than directly. I know they are just a "switch" but I want to connect the monitor direct and see if there is any difference. (And I still dont get why it keeps reverting to an older MS driver vs the viewsonic, but if I can get 100hz to work (again) I really dont care).

Issue#2 Soundblaster X-FI "extreme music": I have cambridge soundworks DT3500 (dolby) digital 5.1 speakers. They were previously hooked to an Audigy 2 with no issues. When I connect them (thru the digital DIN) to the X-FI, and then try to select my speaker configuration (from the digital menu) I only have headphones or 2 speakers as a selection. Only in the analog menu are multi-speaker surround configurations available. And of course, during speaker tests the sound is only playing thru the front speakers....

Literally moments ago, I got a reply from creative and I am speechless as to it's content. I have been given instructions on how to configure my DT3500's so they will "work" (I have yet to try it) but the functionality is so diminished as to COMPLETELY eliminate any improvement from my Audigy 2 because, you see, they tell me the X-FI is designed for ANALOG speakers!?!

I quote from my reply from Creative support: >>Lastly, please be informed that our X-Fi series is design to work with anormal analog speaker system to achieve the optimum performance from the sound card. If you are using Inspire 5.1 5700 or a digital speaker system (speaker system with decoder features), you will not be able to use the enhanced features (DTS decode, Dolby digital decode, X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer, X-Fi CMSS 3D, 3DMIDI and EAX).<<

I find this astounding and utterly unacceptable. Digital is now and the future and it seems a step backwards. (from the audigy line) Bottom line: Better not use digital speakers with an X-FI, it cripples it's functionality..I mean, not even EAX will work! (which by the way is just fine on the Audigy 2 thank you very much.) Too late to return the X-FI. So either I use the Audigy 2 (from my old rig) or I have to buy new..analog speakers. Ridiculous.

Issue #3 My Norton Ghost (2003) boot diskette is hanging up on the PC during post (It's a USB enabled diskette so I can use my external drive for the backup) Works fine on old box. I have to do a bit more research but I believe it's the RAID drivers (or lack of them to be more specific) that this is happening on the new box. I need to get into the diskette autoexec and config.sys files too see whats going on there but I have been more concerned getting the other two issues fixed before I really need to consider backing it up. Besides, since my last post (above) I actually have upgraded ghost to V10 in hopes it will work on the new rig, and it does. (uses a CD now, no floppies, and from within windows (at least the backup) instead of a standalone boot (still needed for a restore but it's a CD as I said.)

So, really only one real issue left (the monitor refresh) perhaps some things to try there, well see. Just frosts my cookies about the X-FI though. sheesh.

Soldato
Hi
1) I'm sure it's the KVM as they are known to limit refresh rates
2) Not sure as I've not come across that card, but CT have a history of building buggy cards and that one is known to have issues with this motherboard
3) Again not sure about those bootup issues, but you say that it's a usb bootup disk drive? I know that some don't work very well when used as a bootup device. Have you checked with norton's that it will work ok with the way you are using it?
ChrisC

Last edited:
Suspended
Asus have added fix list

"Fix ASUS PC Probe will display incorrect PWR fan reading."

Wow. :rolleyes: note I don't have any problems, perhaps BIOS is totally sorted so very little to fix? :confused: Although by the looks of it other people have had loads of problems.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Asus have added fix list

"Fix ASUS PC Probe will display incorrect PWR fan reading."

Wow. :rolleyes: note I don't have any problems, perhaps BIOS is totally sorted so very little to fix? :confused: Although by the looks of it other people have had loads of problems.
I used to get that problem it would change back & forth from its true rpm speed to 0 rpm.

Man of Honour
squiffy said:
So there could be more fixes, but Asus haven't included them in the list?
Yep. The last bios had many fixes but they just put it under a general heading or something, if you look at the asus site you'll see it :)

Associate
chriscatt said:
Hi
1) I'm sure it's the KVM as they are known to limit refresh rates
2) Not sure as I've not come across that card, but CT have a history of building buggy cards and that one is known to have issues with this motherboard
3) Again not sure about those bootup issues, but you say that it's a usb bootup disk drive? I know that some don't work very well when used as a bootup device. Have you checked with norton's that it will work ok with the way you are using it?
ChrisC

1# tried direct connect, no fix (this was just "uninstalling" monitor drivers, selecting update (manually by location), and rebooting. They load (when you look at driver properties) whats odd is under "driver details" is says (on both machines) " no driver files are required or have been loaded for ths device" huh? looks like what I have to do (next to try) is connect the monitor directly, blow away the install anfd reload XP from scratch again and let it see it from the get go and see what happens. Not a big issue as I cant activate anyways until I get my overclocking settled. (and i'm itching to try and so is my prommie. :D

2# It's a fact. (and the dirty little secret of the X-FI series) they dont support digital surround speakers (properly), period! I went ahead and bought a new 5.1 analog set (creative even, go figure) they are more powerful and support THX as well as DTS and DOLBY so i'll consider it an "upgrade"

3# As I said I upgraded to Ghost 10 and it's working fine with my config, including the external USB devices.

Associate
Apologies for getting off topic...

Still cannot load monitor driver properly. direct connected Monitor (to the crossfire cable) installed XP, dot net and catalyst 6.6 only (did not enable crossfire yet though) It loads the same microsoft driver that is on the old system..but only 85 as max refresh whereas other has 100 as a selection. I load the viewsonics, reboot, it shows them as being the ones used, but the list of refresh rates is exactly the same. If I enable crossfire nothing changes. I compared the inf files of both (the MS and viewsonics) and for that monitor they appear identical (the clock ranges. 1800,1400 max res. 30-115,50-160hz refresh range) i'm simply baffled.

On a related note I also took the opportunity to install the 502 BIOS just prior to the last reload and so far, all seems ok.

Oh and I should mention these are x1900XT's in the crossfire config.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom