Absolute novice looking for direction

Associate
So... Did my cbt 6 years ago and its obviously lapsed so I've decided to do my full bike test as it's something that's been in the back of my mind for years and years. Got my theory test booked in October, DAS course booked for December.

Now , I know nothing... And I mean nothing about bikes, I don't understand the letters cbr/vtr/etc, I don't know what kind of bike I like, whether I need 600cc or 1000cc. Is 3 grand enough to spend on a first (second) bike?

Can anyone advise or provide any resource where I can learn.

Thanks

Soldato
Suppose the best place to start is to work out which kind of bike appeals to you. Personally I've always loved sports bikes so for me it was quite easy as I knew exactly what I wanted before I had even sat on a seat!

I've had a 600cc from my first day of riding and while I would like to go up and get my dream bike which would be 1000cc I don't think I actually need that in my life just yet... plus I don't have a garage and wouldn't want to put my pride and joy out on the main road!

Associate
OP
I have a garage so it will definitely go in there. Is a 1000cc a lot faster/heavier/scary than a 600?
I'm not really into the really sporty looking bikes, maybe either the chopper style or something without all the plastic.

Soldato
I have a garage so it will definitely go in there. Is a 1000cc a lot faster/heavier/scary than a 600?
I'm not really into the really sporty looking bikes, maybe either the chopper style or something without all the plastic.

Faster - Potentially, if nothing else it should have more torque.
Heavier - Most likely but it depends on the bike you get. I expect a 1000 spots bike would be lighter than something 600/750 but a bit more hefty.
Scarier? Well that depends on yourself and how you cope with speed at your disposal. If you're riding a 1000 but only at 30mph I'm sure a 125 could be scarier!

Caporegime
Do yourself a favour and go to a well reputed bike dealer and sit on a few. You don't even need to ride them at first, it's just to give you an idea of the feel of the various types of bikes. There are billions of Youtube videos about beginner bikes and everyone's got their own take on this topic so whilst it might be good to get some ideas, at the end of the day what suits you might not suit someone else. It also depends on your usage profile, a supersports as a commuter will kill your back in a week, whereas a little 125 for Sunday rides will put you off riding fairly quickly.

Personally I'd be staying away from litre bikes until you've built up some confidence. Yes you can get on them and behave yourself, but all it takes is one moment of weakness and you're either without a licence or being stitched back together in hospital.

As for actual recommendations, my recommendations would be Suzuki SV650 (cost buttons used, everyone knows how to fix them, parts are everywhere, easy to ride and still great fun), a Rebel 500 (very comfy, not the fastest bike in the world but will give you millions of miles of worry-free riding and low maintenance costs), for something sporty you could look at a CBR650R, which looks a bit sporty but is still a rather decent beginner bike. Another option is a CBR500X which has more of the off-road / adventure bike look and is also fun to ride.

You'll likely be doing your test on a 500-600cc bike, however it'll be restricted so whilst you can gain a bit of appreciation for the chassis / comfort, don't think that the power you're experiencing is what you'd get on an unrestricted bike.

A huge factor with bikes is being able to stretch their legs. I've said this time and time again, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. An R1 is nice and fast and all but if you value your licence you'll spend most of your time in second gear, whereas something like a CBR300R you can ride the absolute nuts off and still be relatively legal and also a lot easier to scrape off the road should you have a spill. You only fall once on a litre bike.

Associate
OP
1That rebel looks awesome. I think I like the crusier or "naked" style. That sv650 seems doable though, what about my £3000 budget? Some bikes I've seen on bike trader are nearly 20 years old for the money I'm spending are older bikes ok? I wouldn't ever buy a car that old.

Soldato
Another vote for the SV650. Had a 2005 one as my second bike and it was great, fast enough to beat cars at the lights but very forgiving if you slip up.

CBF500 was my first bike, great for town and commuting if a bit boring and grew out of it quickly.

Soldato
Don't know if the rules have changed but i'm sure you need to have a valid CBT in order to do your DAS course?

I know most will do your CBT again as part of your DAS, well that was the case 5 years ago when i did my DAS.

Associate
OP
My cbt is the first day of my DAS.
So I dont want something i'm going to get bored of or that isn't thrilling after a while.

I want something with pep that is going to keep me going for a couple of years. Is the SV650 that? Whats the diff between the sv650 and sv650s?

Man of Honour
I rode my sv650s for 4 years and loved every minute of it, I'd happily go back to one after riding an 1100 for a couple of years.
The S is the faired version the non S is the naked. They stopped making the S around 2014 I think.

Soldato
You'll likely be doing your test on a 500-600cc bike, however it'll be restricted so whilst you can gain a bit of appreciation for the chassis / comfort, don't think that the power you're experiencing is what you'd get on an unrestricted bike.
If he’s over 24, he’ll be riding an unrestricted 650cc bike.

Soldato
1That rebel looks awesome. I think I like the crusier or "naked" style. That sv650 seems doable though, what about my £3000 budget? Some bikes I've seen on bike trader are nearly 20 years old for the money I'm spending are older bikes ok? I wouldn't ever buy a car that old.

My SV650 is 17 years old and in very good condition. You won't even need to spend all of your £3k to get a good one.

Things with bikes is if you got an owner who keeps a bike in a garage and looks after it, they tend to keep very well, unlike most cars which are (generally) left outside all year and used more.

Edit: A naked style bike is a good one to start, especially if you get into doing the servicing etc yourself, I do pretty much everything on my bike myself.

Also the power of naked "street" bikes tends to be a bit lower down, which is a lot more practical for road use.

The newer bikes have ABS as a rider for 18 years now, people saying you should learn without it, I mean ideally yes, but really in a panic moment you never know, having a fail safe is never a bad thing.

Yamaha make good ones also, MT07 is similar, XSR700 or 900 but the 900 is a wolf in sheep's clothing really.

Last edited:
Associate

A 1 ltr bike is too much for your first proper bike imo.

I started on a 600 - a ZX6R. I have had various bikes, my last being a Fireblade and the difference between the two is vast tbh. You will learn more and get more out of a 600cc than a 1000cc.

Soldato
It all depends on what we’re talking about here.

Yes a 1000cc super sport is not ideal for a beginner but you also get 1000cc touring bikes which aren’t any more difficult to ride than a 650.

Associate
OP
If he’s over 24, he’ll be riding an unrestricted 650cc bike.
I'm 42.

A 1 ltr bike is too much for your first proper bike imo.

I started on a 600 - a ZX6R. I have had various bikes, my last being a Fireblade and the difference between the two is vast tbh. You will learn more and get more out of a 600cc than a 1000cc.

Yeah I don't need a 1ltr just want something I'm not going to be bored of after 2 months...but also not breakneck stupid..... but also not dull.... but also safe. 600-700 sounds about right and naked...the bike not me.

Soldato
I'd start with a commuter bike like a ER-6N or SV650s. When you do you DAS the instructor will have something similar. They are quick enough to have fun but keep your top speed down, and when you drop it in some silly way (we've all done it), it won't be a complete disaster.

Soldato
I'm 42.

Yeah I don't need a 1ltr just want something I'm not going to be bored of after 2 months...but also not breakneck stupid..... but also not dull.... but also safe. 600-700 sounds about right and naked...the bike not me.

What experience do you have in drive high performance cars? If not a lot, you won't find a 600cc bike slow after the first year. Those who do, usually haven't found the top of the revs!

I echo what others have said, the SV650, ER6, Z650 etc are great, reliable bikes which have plenty of accessible power for a new starter. You will probably learn on one of these bikes (or similar) as part of your DAS.

One thing I will say: don't buy a bike now. On your DAS, the type of bike and engine size you want will come to you. For some inspiration, if you don't like sports bikes, I would look at the Suzuki SV650X, Yamaha MT07, Honda CB650R for inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom