Academic strip searched = police complaint and PTSD

Man of Honour
strip searches do they have to be performed by officers of the same sex?

if for example a suspect(male) requested a couple of WPCs would this be complied with?
asking for a friend, /////starts planning unsuccessful crime spree/////

Yes, strip searches much be of the same gender. Complications happen when the gender isn't clear and is talked about in PACE Code C Annex L:

1. Certain provisions of this and other PACE Codes explicitly state that searches and other procedures may only be carried out by, or in the presence of, persons of the same sex as the person subject to the search or other procedure. See Note L1. 2. All searches and procedures must be carried out with courtesy, consideration and respect for the person concerned. Police officers should show particular sensitivity when dealing with transgender individuals (including transsexual persons) and transvestite persons (see Notes L2, L3 and L4). (a) Consideration
3. In law, the gender (and accordingly the sex) of an individual is their gender as registered at birth unless they have been issued with a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 (GRA), in which case the person's gender is their acquired gender. This means that if the acquired gender is the male gender, the person’s sex becomes that of a man and, if it is the female gender, the person’s sex becomes that of a woman and they must be treated as their acquired gender.
4. When establishing whether the person concerned should be treated as being male or female for the purposes of these searches and procedures, the following approach which is designed to minimise embarrassment and secure the person’s co-operation should be followed:
(a) The person must not be asked whether they have a GRC (see paragraph 8);
(b) If there is no doubt as to as to whether the person concerned should be treated as being male or female, they should be dealt with as being of that sex.
(c) If at any time (including during the search or carrying out the procedure) there is doubt as to whether the person should be treated, or continue to be treated, as being male or female: (i) the person should be asked what gender they consider themselves to be. If they express a preference to be dealt with as a particular gender, they should be asked to indicate and confirm their preference by signing the custody record or, if a custody record has not been opened, the search record or the officer’s notebook.
Subject to (ii) below, the person should be treated according to their preference; (ii) if there are grounds to doubt that the preference in (i) accurately reflects the person’s predominant lifestyle, for example, if they ask to be treated as a woman but documents and other information make it clear that they live predominantly as a man, or vice versa, they should be treated according to what appears to be their predominant lifestyle and not their stated preference; (iii) If the person is unwilling to express a preference as in (i) above, efforts should be made to determine their predominant lifestyle and they should be treated as such. For example, if they appear to live predominantly as a woman, they should be treated as being female; or (iv) if none of the above apply, the person should be dealt with according to what reasonably appears to have been their sex as registered at birth.

Soldato
oh well better cancel that stripey jumper and crowbar from amazon then :(
in all seriousness though, PACE seems to be very common sense from that approach,

why cant everything else be like that? you look like a bloke sound like a bloke so i'm going to treat you as such and not as a goldfish

Soldato
Well she doesn't have to comply... but don't then complain when the police detain you for interfering during an arrest of an armed man. Then strip search you due to your erratic behaviour.

Can't have it both ways.

Sure you can. They cannot just take you off the street and strip search you...Its as simple as that. There was zero reason for doing it other then the officers being morons.

Permabanned
I have absolutely no fear of UK police "taking me off the street and strip searching me". You know why? Because I am not going to try and interfere negatively in an arrest or try and pass documentation to the person being arrested. Nor will I go limp if asked for my credentials by a police officer in a passive attempt to resist arrest when they are not satisfied with no answers to legitimate questions. I find I walk amongst, meet and even drink with serving officers with zero fear of any of these things occurring, I guess I am very fortunate or plain lucky? Now if I devoted myself to political agitation and taking the side of any unknown miscreant I see being interviewed or searched by the cops my expectations would be quite different. I find the balance comforting and perfectly reasonable.

Soldato
Sure you can. They cannot just take you off the street and strip search you...Its as simple as that. There was zero reason for doing it other then the officers being morons.

Firstly the law does say the police can take people of the street and strip search them read the police and criminal evidence act for a start...

Secondly ....

.... I really wonder about the sense of some people commenting here....

Assuming you work.. . how would you react if I came up to your desk/ workstation etc and started interfering with whatever you were doing when I had absolutely nothing to do with your job or what you were lawfully engaged in doing?

Let's make it worse and suppose my actions potentially put you and you colleagues in danger or at risk of failing to be able to complete the very job you were working on at the time.

If a police officer is searching someone one of the most moronic things you can do is approach and try to hand something to (or receive something from) the person being searched.

By a means stand around and watch (if in a public place where this is permitted)

Hell even get you camera phone out if you must and record what's going on (might be polite to stop if the person being searched requests you to stop)

And if you think something wasn't right by all means exercise you ability to complain To the police iopc etc....

But don't go up to the person being searched start talking to them whilst trying to 'mediate' with the police officer(s) and then try to hand something to (or receive something from) the person being searched.

That the police found a knife on the lad concerned really is the icing on the cake to show how stupid and I'll thought out her actions were (not that the absence of such a weapon would invalidate any of the above)

And having been arrested she refused to cooperate at all the feigned limpness and was generally obstructive..... which leaves the police having to treat her as a high risk individual (even if mainly to herself)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, strip searches much be of the same gender. Complications happen when the gender isn't clear and is talked about in PACE Code C Annex L:

What do you think will happen if the gender recognition act is reformed as some campaigners want?

I believe there are 71 genders on Facebook... good luck to the police getting suitable officers of the same gender in some of those cases (granted some can perhaps be grouped together). Will they need to put a call out to other police stations to request the attendance of a "Two-spirit" officer?

I wonder if they'll scrap the rule altogether, I mean it makes more sense if we pretend that gay and bisexual people don't exist but they do... I mean ostensibly they perhaps don't want straight male officers searching a female suspect however they will already have gay male officers searching male suspects under current rules.

Soldato
What do you think will happen if the gender recognition act is reformed as some campaigners want?

I believe there are 71 genders on Facebook... good luck to the police getting suitable officers of the same gender in some of those cases (granted some can perhaps be grouped together). Will they need to put a call out to other police stations to request the attendance of a "Two-spirit" officer?

I wonder if they'll scrap the rule altogether, I mean it makes more sense if we pretend that gay and bisexual people don't exist but they do... I mean ostensibly they perhaps don't want straight male officers searching a female suspect however they will already have gay male officers searching male suspects under current rules.

Police officer identifies as 'gender fluid' and by strange coincidence identifies (temporarily) with whatever gender the person needing to be searched identifies as.....

Problem solved..... and if you object then you must be a bigot.

And if you think I am joking or being silly you might want to pause and consider that such situations with police officers are already officially recognised.....

UK's first gender-fluid police officer going by names 'Callum' and 'Abi'

A police officer has become Britain’s first gender-fluid officer and is using separate male and female identities while at work.

One some days the officer goes by the name Callum — and on other days goes by the female name of Abi.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Police officer identifies as 'gender fluid' and by strange coincidence identifies (temporarily) with whatever gender the person needing to be searched identifies as.....

Problem solved..... and if you object then you must be a bigot.

And if you think I am joking or being silly you might want to pause and consider that such situations with police officers are already officially recognised.....

Sometimes just calling them PC1234 would sort a lot of these "issues" out...

Soldato
I remember a time, not so long ago, when gays were something of an aberration, at least in the corner of the country I occupied. This wasn't even that long ago, the 90s.

For example, getting HIV as a homosexual was basically a comeuppance, quite distinct from getting it, say, from a transfusion.

We've come quite a long way since then, and i suspect we'll get there with trans issues. It might feel uncomfortable now, but it's funny how you look back on past perspectives.

I don't really 'get it' with trans stuff. I don't have much insight at all with it. I just let it flow over me for now - I figure i'll catch up. People should have as much self determination as they need. it's not really important that I can't get my head around it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Problem solved..... and if you object then your must be a bigot.

:D

I guess it depends how they implement it, if the rule is that people can only be searched by someone with the same gender under whatever new act comes into force then you might find that gender fluid people can only be searched by other gender fluid people etc...

It probably should count as a super gender as you've pointed out, in that case a gender fluid officer should be able to search anyone and a gender fluid suspect could be searched by any officer or be told to pick a side!

I reckon it could cause some issues especially where the non binary or gender fluid person ordinarily presents as male and where there are cultural considerations, people with strict religious beliefs etc...

Capodecina
Soldato
Another moronic SJW :rolleyes:
Every time I read a moronic comment like this I wonder:
  • Does this "person" subscribe to the Tory view that there is no such thing as Society and everyone should be in it solely for themselves?
  • Does this "person" simply not believe in "Justice" at all?
  • Is this a "person" who is either too lazy or too selfish to fight for "Social Justice"?

Man of Honour
Do you have reason to believe that Dr. Duff even suspected that the person being searched by the Met. Police was armed?
No, that is something you've just made up. That must be comforting.
In fact pretty much everything you have posted above is just made up in a futile attempt to justify the inexcusable bullying by the arrogant Met. Police.

Meanwhile, don't get burgled because the Met. Police are too busy strip searching lippy busybodies to be bothered to get involved - but I guess that's OK with you?

You've just made up something, made up a claim that I wrote it (when it's obvious that you wrote it - it's in your post, not mine, I never said anything about what Dr Duff suspected) and then made up a claim that I'm making things up (without even bothering to say what you're claiming I made up). Then you finished off with some silly nonsense you made up and "guessed" that I'm OK with it.

You can do better at making stuff up. Your last post looks like you weren't even trying.

Man of Honour
Every time I read a moronic comment like this I wonder:
  • Does this "person" subscribe to the Tory view that there is no such thing as Society and everyone should be in it solely for themselves?
  • Does this "person" simply not believe in "Justice" at all?
  • Is this a "person" who is either too lazy or too selfish to fight for "Social Justice"?

Generally, the person thinks that group identity politics, irrational prejudice and authoritarianism are not "social justice" and that people who only either join a mob spewing invective or attack people who can't defend themselves are not "warriors".

Back
Top Bottom