1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access Point as a Signal Booster???

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by chimaera, 1 Feb 2006.

1. chimaera

Mobster

I have a 3com combined wireless modem/router, but due to the number of walls in my house i could do with something to boost the signal to the other half of the building.

Theres an access point in the mm which is the same make/range as my router, would this act as a pass through/signal booster from the net connection broadcasted by my router?

2. T180985

Gangster

you may be able to set the AP up as a repeater if you can that will help improve signal stength

3. errata

Wise Guy

Get the manual for the ap and see if its has any wireless repeater or distribution modes (WDS) 3com probably does WDS on the AP less likley on the router.

4. fluiduk

Wise Guy

I have a 3com access point and it doesnt support it. So definitely worth getting you mitts on the manual before you buy anything

5. chimaera

Mobster

Ok thanks guys, i'll give it a look.

6. Angelos_n

Hitman

i have a netgear me 102 upstairs and a belkin wireless router downstairs and you can activate wireless bridging on router and the access point increases range

7. Clarkey

Capodecina

FWIW, I have a dlink AP2000+ WAP at home and that does have a repeater mode on it.