1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessibilty etc

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by fluiduk, 24 Mar 2006.

1. fluiduk

Wise Guy

Hi All

I build a few websites for companies on a freelance basis and I have decided I am going to start making a real effort to make the sites more accessible. I dont want companies to come back to me and have a go or sue me if they get into trouble because my sites arent deemed accessible.

However the whole area is new to me. Does anyone have any advice, or reading reccomendations that will steer me in the right path?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

2. Mr_L

Mobster

3. iCraig

PermaBanned

Bah just mention alt attributes in your contract and you're set ;)

4. Al Vallario

Mobster

Don't listen to people like iCraig ;)

Just write your code properly (Don't put contextual text in images, and if you must, put the text not the image in your HTML and use an image replacement technique to put it as a background in your CSS) and everything will work out fine. For contextual images, give them appropriate alt tags (Not 'Image', for instance). Make alternative stylesheets for users with impaired vision (high contrast, larger text etc.); do not write different HTML for this :)

5. ChipPanFire

Associate

Everything you need to know about is here: http://www.bsi-global.com/ICT/PAS78/index.xalter. £30 I'm afraid but it'll give you the grounding you need. After that you'll need more on technique and technology, but this explains the whys and hows and what's important and what's not

(Disclaimer - I was on the steering group for this although I get no royalties :()