Accident with cyclist - Seeking advice

Caporegime
This morning I was pulling out of my cul-de-sac on to a main road, as I have done every morning for 4 1/2 years.

A cyclist was travelling against traffic on the pavement, my view of the pavement in both directions is obstructed by neighbours cars and a wheelie bin:

Vincent_Hanna_junction_small.jpg

And my view of the road on the right seeing oncoming traffic isn't great either to be honest.

Here is video footage of me from starting the engine to the actual collision:

Here is it again without the start (it happened right when the footage clips over to the next file)
- [Contains a swear word!]

And here is the rear view [also contains a swear word] after it happened showing the cyclist wheeling his bike in and trying to compose himself

So basically, I am sitting stationary for approx 10 seconds waiting for a gap in traffic on my right and a cyclist goes passed just as I moved off. I moved about 1 ft and sent him sprawing in to the road. I checked he was ok, a neighbour came over (she's a nurse) and applied a sling and I took him in my car to A&E

There is damage to my car below:

530d_frontdamage01.jpg

530d_frontdamage02.jpg

I have logged the incident with Essex Police via their website.

Do I just claim off my insurance? Guy seemed reasonable so hopefully won't go for the claim route, but just in case what else should I be doing? Who is liable for damage to my car?

Soldato
Your fault mate unfortunately

You have to treat the edge of the carriageway as a give way. You didn't give way

I know he was on the pavement. But that could also have been a jogger. Or a mum with a pram

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Had he been a pedestrian, he would have had right of way wouldn't he? But as a cyclist on the pavement at that speed, nope, and I think given the footage the police would agree.

I can imagine getting that damage sorted from anyone's pocked but your own a frustrating and pointless exercise mind you.

Caporegime
OP
I look both ways for pedestrians (as I said I've been doing this for years) but they are slow enough that I don't have to check every second.

Cyclist at speed, I can't even see them.

It's a 5 Series touring so the bonnet is quite large as well which puts me even further from the road.

Permabanned
Had he been a pedestrian, he would have had right of way wouldn't he? But as a cyclist on the pavement at that speed, nope, and I think given the footage the police would agree.

I can imagine getting that damage sorted from anyone's pocked but your own a frustrating and pointless exercise mind you.

No, a pedestrian wouldn't have had right of way in that situation either - the car did.

Man of Honour
Should have seen him really - but you just don't expect someone to be cycling at that kind of speed along a pavement and taking no precautions when there is a car looking to pull out :s

Caporegime
OP
I haven't informed my insurance, but the police report I filed might go to them anyway as I had to submit my number plate.

Should I ring them now? That'll sit on my report for 5 bloody years though.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
No, a pedestrian wouldn't have had right of way in that situation either - the car did.

Yeah I derped. It's if they're already in the road... I blame Monday morning.

As a cyclist, if I was ever dumb enough to be doing what looks like 15-20mph on a pavement against traffic I'd be yielding at the slightest hint of something pulling out on me. I'd certainly look to go behind a car waiting like yours as I would as a pedestrian. The guys clearly a plonker.

Caporegime
OP
Yes they were. I might be a BMW driver, but i'm not that bad :)

Though the radio is on, you can hear that the indicators are on.

I'm sure he said to me on the way to A&E that he didn't see my car, or maybe even that I "came from nowhere". I might have that recorded on my Dashcam as it records audio.

Footage clearly shows me sitting stationary for at least 10 seconds.

Man of Honour
I can't tell from the video as I don't have sound here. Were your indicators on? Cyclist must've saw them if so.

If you listen carefully you can here the tick, tick noise from them between the music - the cyclist should have been way more wary.

Back
Top Bottom