ACER X35 OR LG 38GL950G 38 inch UltraGear

Associate
I will be selling my current monitor which is the Asus Rog PG348Q, I will be placing an order for the ACER X35 OR LG 38GL950G 38-inch Ultra Gear.

I know and I am aware of the flickering on the Acer X35 but who knows will Acer fix this flickering with a driver or firmware update but my question is which should I buy, forget about the fault in the Acer X35.

This is a question to the community to answer me as honestly as possible if it were you and I take it these monitors are going to be around the 2K mark which would you buy I know the LG is not HDR in the true sense of the word HDR as it is only HDR400 which is basically crap why they have stated it is HDR is a joke in my opinion if it were HDR 600 would have been even better.

The Acer X35 is true HDR 1000 and is the ultimate gaming monitor but only with true HDR games, will I be playing a lot of HDR games who knows suppose the HDR games will become more prevalent as time goes on so futureproofing comes to mind whereas the LG monitor will always be lacking so looks like I have talked myself into buying the Acer X35 even with it’s flickering screen do remember there are buyers of the Acer X35 who do not have any flickering but I read that lowering the brightness a little can resolve this issue anyway I have rambled on enough just your thoughts on which monitor I should buy.

Soldato
If HDR matters to you, get the X35... the LG is a joke at its supposed price (2300 Euros) at HDR 400. Can't comment on the flickering though.

Associate
OP
Thank you Legend for your input supose HDR does mean a lot to me as I have watched the Videos on you tube and they all say HDR is amazing so would be nice to experience that for msyelf with some HDR games. Even ordinary non HDR games seem to be better looking on the X35.

Associate
Depends on what games you play I think. If you do a lot of single player HDR games, probably the X35. But IMO an LG OLED TV for less money is gonna rape an X35 for HDR single player games.

The X35 is also really only a 144 Hz monitor, as setting it above that refresh actually causes more motion blur due to the slower VA pixels. That is versus the 175 Hz 38LG that actually has pixels fast enough for that refresh rate. But with the 38LG you will have to put up with nasty IPS glow and backlight bleed. All IPS have it.

38LG also has superior resolution and size. Since I don't really play HDR games (and the ones I do dabble in get played on the OLED), the 38LG is an easy win for me.

Soldato
Dat hdr is hard to turn down.

Ips glow is just so horrible in something so expensive.

I think for people who want best image quality and blacks and colours and hdr, Acer.

For ppl who want best responsiveness and refresh, lg38.

Soldato
There's also the 43" 4K Asus XG438Q at HDR-600, VA panel and the cheapest at £1099... mid-ground between these two I'd say... but all have drawbacks and compromises.

Associate
OP
Also with the large 43" 4k/120hz monitors you have the option of setting a custom 3840x1600 resolution to give the effect of a 40" Ultrawide for gaming (which is prob what I would do, just black bars above and below) :)

http://www.displaywars.com/40-inch-d{24x10}-vs-42,5-inch-16x9
Unfortunately for the 43’’ Asus monitor which looks impressive I only sit 70cm away from the screen so i wouild think such a monitor would be too big and it has the dreaded BGR Pixel layout which has been highlighted on a you Tube review concerning said monitor. Anyway I would not want to order a monitor then just return it on a whim or notion would rather buy a monitor to keep and only return if genuinely faulty, some companies are strict with such purchases and rightly so anyway I have made up my mind I am using a very small 19’’ LH W1941S Flatron god it is small coming from a Asus PG348Q I sold it today locally to a guy and got £620 for it had it 2 years and 4 months so I think I did very well on the resale so now I’ll sit and wait on the LG 38’’ Ultra with G-Sync, yes I know it will cost as much as 2K, but think of that screen realestate. I have decided against the X35 or the PG35VQ as those prices are insane and leave it for a couple of years and hopefully such monitors in a couple of years will come down in price considerably. Thank you all for your contribution, much appreciated.

Soldato
Unfortunately for the 43’’ Asus monitor which looks impressive I only sit 70cm away from the screen so i wouild think such a monitor would be too big and it has the dreaded BGR Pixel layout which has been highlighted on a you Tube review concerning said monitor. Anyway I would not want to order a monitor then just return it on a whim or notion would rather buy a monitor to keep and only return if genuinely faulty, some companies are strict with such purchases and rightly so anyway I have made up my mind I am using a very small 19’’ LH W1941S Flatron god it is small coming from a Asus PG348Q I sold it today locally to a guy and got £620 for it had it 2 years and 4 months so I think I did very well on the resale so now I’ll sit and wait on the LG 38’’ Ultra with G-Sync, yes I know it will cost as much as 2K, but think of that screen realestate. I have decided against the X35 or the PG35VQ as those prices are insane and leave it for a couple of years and hopefully such monitors in a couple of years will come down in price considerably. Thank you all for your contribution, much appreciated.

The Acer Predator X35 is looking like it might be similarly priced to the LG 38". It's come in less than the Asus variant by a decent margin anyway.

Associate
OP
The Acer Predator X35 is looking like it might be similarly priced to the LG 38". It's come in less than the Asus variant by a decent margin anyway.

I have decided on the LG because of that 3840x1600 screen as I found with my Asus PG348Q it was kind of short on the Vertical 3440x1440. I know maybe I am splitting hairs here as regards to pricing as both monitors will be round the same price point but the Acer X35 I don’t know I would love a bigger screen as when I opened my Asus for the very fist time I thought god that is short wide monitor the width was fantastic but it lost it on height so I just got used to it and made do but now LG have mooted with their 38’’ I would rather wait and buy the LG and if I don’t like it well I could always sell it when people start selling their Acer X35 on Flea Bay or Amazon I would be interested to experience such a bigger screen size all round which I would imagine would be very immersive almost like sitting in the car and looking out the front window, HAR har har..

I doubt when playing games I would notice the detail to miss not using the HDR thought I do imagine that the HDR experience will eb fantastic and I do not expect for one minute the LG would even get close I would buy the LG knowing it is all about the size and especially the height of the screen I would just love a bigger screen as the Asus PG348Q was just too letter box for my liking but the new LG puts that to bed and I think will eb the new size format for monitors of the future it is just the perfect size in my opinion. Just a pity the LG wont be releasing the 38’’ until next February 2020.
Update on the release date A USA retailer is showing mid-September release date who knows maybe that date will slip time will tell also looking like a November release date for us folks in the UKwhenever that is I will be waiting with bated breath and can't wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom