Acoustic Energy Aego 2 Upgrade - Suggestions please under £200ish

Associate
I have a 2nd PC that I'd like to cascade down my AE Aego 2 system to, and get an upgraded system for my main PC - but I can't find anything that sounds better! I've tried a few Edifier systems, but they lack bass for me (bass is muffled) when I'm playing R&B/Garage. It's made me realise that for my listening tastes I probably need a 2.1 system.

The Aego 2 still sounds amazing after 12 years, but I assumed that in that time something better would have hit the market!

I was going to buy the new Aego3 system, but the hissing reports put me off. Can anyone recommend a good system under £200ish new, or something good I can find on eBay e.g. I bought a Sony HT-MT300 for a TV for £60 on eBay which is quite compact and the sound is very good, and I'm tempted to see if I can pickup another.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Soldato
I think you will struggle to find anything significantly better for £200. I had the orignal Argo M system back when they were £80 new. They quickly realised there was nothing to touch them at that price and shot up in value.

If it has to be 2.1 then I dont think you will find what your after.

If desk space isnt a problem, and your happy with some bigger speakers then ive had both these in the past.

• M-Audio BX8 D3
  • JBL LSR305

The JBLs were better to my ears, neither need a sub IMO as they both sound rich and full.

Sure others will be able to reccomend some second hand bargains, maybe amps and passive speakers but for PC use I have always stuck with decent active speakers. im not one for all the clutter on my PC desk.

Associate
OP
I think you will struggle to find anything significantly better for £200. I had the orignal Argo M system back when they were £80 new. They quickly realised there was nothing to touch them at that price and shot up in value.

If it has to be 2.1 then I dont think you will find what your after.

If desk space isnt a problem, and your happy with some bigger speakers then ive had both these in the past.

• M-Audio BX8 D3
  • JBL LSR305

The JBLs were better to my ears, neither need a sub IMO as they both sound rich and full.

Sure others will be able to reccomend some second hand bargains, maybe amps and passive speakers but for PC use I have always stuck with decent active speakers. im not one for all the clutter on my PC desk.

Thanks - I'm coming to the same conclusion that my Aego M system was one of my best buys ever for £80. Unless someone comes up with a killer alternative, I'm probably going to try and find a 2nd hand set on eBay or risk the new version and hope the hissing has been fixed.

Soldato
Blimey, £80! I'd forgotten the Aego M's were once that cheap so many years ago. That was a bargain. I certainly remember when they were £130, and that was still a good buy. Certainly better than anything else at that time and since really.

Heck even the Aego 3's aren't good, due to the hissing mentioned above; and they are £200! Quite a bit more than what the Aego M used to cost.

Good 2.1 speakers is a rarity, and the choice is pretty slim indeed.

Adding a subwoofer to some powered stereo speakers is an option, but ideally you'd want speakers with a sub out, which might mean you'd end up having to look at just new ones as not that many have that feature. They alone would probably swallow most of the budget. It might be possible though if you can find a good bargain on a used subwoofer. Would need to be a subwoofer worth getting though. There are plenty of cheap rubbish ones about.

Back
Top Bottom