1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Actors I am amazed that get jobs...

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by SPG, 23 Feb 2021.

1. chroniclard

Capodecina

Yeah but he has been bang average in many more. :)

2. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

He's downright irritating in most films :p

3. Steampunk

Sgarrista

No, the Irishman that sounds like a Scott. And the Russian that sounds like a Scott. And the Englishman that sounds like a Scott.

4. wolfie138

Mobster

and the russian sub commander...etc etc

tch, ninja'd again!

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Tom Cruise can act when he wants to, but mostly he seems intersted in being Hoolywoods biggest star and having fun making very capable well made action films. Dwayne Johnson is not much of an actor but he's an affable movie star yeah he plays the same parts but he does them with good humour it's popcorn entertainment. These guys are not in the I don't know how they get jobs category.

6. ivrytwr3

Mobster

He used to use his "stuttering Englishmen" to good effect when that was all that was required of him, but seeing him in a few films such as The Gentlemen, i disagree - he was awesome in that.

Uma Thurman? Wut? Very cool in Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction

Clive Owen - Children of Men, Inside Man very good in these

Antony Mackie - agreed, garbage actor

Martin Freeman - loved him in the Office and Sherlock, but he started appearing in EVERYTHING playing the same character, now i can't watch him.

Julianne Moore - amazing in Boogie Nights. Maybe not the best actress, but certainly not "amazed she gets jobs".

Will Ferrel - only movie i can watch him in is Elf, can't stand him otherwise.

Ben Affleck - was excellent in Gone Girl

George Clooney - Dusk till Dawn, was amazing!

Tom Cruise - wuuuuut?! Rain Man, Mission Impossible, Jerry McGuire, A Few Good Men, TROPIC THUNDER!

7. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Indeed. He's a good example of an actor that is frequently typecast.

Typecasting makes many performances seem boring/wooden.

8. bazzabear

Mobster

I remember from a couple of his early films (although I can't remember which ones) referring to a similarly named actor as Matthew Mahogany because his performances were so wooden. But man, he's knocked it out of the park on a good few films since those days!

9. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Some actors just have a natural charisma to them like the Rock or Nicolas Cage - their charisma often exceeds their acting abilities but it nevertheless results in a passable performance.

Martin Freeman is the only name mentioned that provoked feelings of “oh man I really wish he would stop playing the same annoying character”.

10. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Yeh, I groan when I realise something I'm interested in watching has Martin Freeman in it. He plays the same snide snivelling creep of a character in every single thing he's in. Thought he was good in Fargo series one though. But he's just Martin Freeman in it.

11. Dano

Sgarrista

Liam Neeson and I'm not even sorry I said it...

12. Moogwai

Associate

Why the hate for Marky Mark, he was really good in The Happening

13. ChroniC

Sgarrista

It was a girls colour me by numbers on an acid trip. The 3d was rubbish and the characters looked like a crap hentia bronie mesh of ****. It deserved to sink to the ocean like his previous film

14. HangTime

Man of Honour

I disagree that Martin Freeman always plays the same character, he's different in Startup. Different accent, a lot more hardnosed etc.

15. Gray2233

Mobster

Ah. You're just out to have a bit of a complain for the sake of it.

Very good, carry on.

16. Reality|Bites

Suspended

before you judge others judge yourself lol, could you do any better? :p

17. Calm

Gangster

I've always found Melissa McCarthy irritating and unlikeable.

18. Reality|Bites

Suspended

Identity Theft was funny though with the throat punch

19. ChroniC

Sgarrista

No. I'm complaining because I hate it and I believe my points are as justified as yours reason for liking it.

20. Gray2233

Mobster

No you're not.

You're hating on a movie which is objectively (especially for the time it was released) impressive from a visual standpoint.

For anyone to have a total hatred in all respects of a thing, to the extent you're claiming you do, I would be extremely concerned about their well being. Furthermore, to claim "Avatar" is the worst movie ever, means you're either being hyperbolic at best, or have seen very few movies. You take your pick, but I'm not going to drop down on your 'but muh opinion' nonsense.

You do you buddy, but drop the hyperbole, it makes you look silly. When you complained about Avatar winning Academy Awards you could have shown some grace when it was pointed out that those awards were related to the visuals.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2021