Adding a graphics card

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding a system that serves a rendering purpose for 3D work in Cinema 4D + Octane Render. I currently have an RTX 2080 and would like to add an RTX 2080ti (I heard that adding the same type of card is the safest option. Personally, I'm a complete amateur with the hardware, so I'm planning to order the graphics card and get someone to install it for me.

All I wanted to do is run a check with you, more experienced guys - is installing an additional card completely safe and won't overload/overheat the PC? When I was ordering it, I asked for some space for future upgrades. Will the ti version work with the regular one fine? Which version of that card would be the best one to order and why?

I'm attaching some of my specs, let me know if any more information would be needed:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Ram: 32 GB
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Motherboard

Thanks for your time :)

Antek

Associate
OP
Is there a big difference between:

MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP 11G Graphics Card 11 GB GDDR6, 1545 MHz, 3x DisplayPort, HDMI, Dual Fan Cooling System
and
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming (11GB GDDR6/PCI Express 3.0/1350MHz-1560MHz/14000MHz) and could one of those be used with my setup? Thank you!

Soldato
Is your PSU capable of powering both GPUs? You should have for 750+ watts. 850 would be better. You won't get near those numberrs in normal use but they will help cope with spikes and peak loads.

While Octane rRender supports differing GPUs, if you are gaming both GPUs should be the same - preferably exactly the same - and you will need a NVlink connector of the right size. Your motherboard will require a three-slot connector.

Associate
OP
Is your PSU capable of powering both GPUs? You should have for 750+ watts. 850 would be better. You won't get near those numberrs in normal use but they will help cope with spikes and peak loads.

While Octane rRender supports differing GPUs, if you are gaming both GPUs should be the same - preferably exactly the same - and you will need a NVlink connector of the right size. Your motherboard will require a three-slot connector.

Hey Quartz, thanks a lot for your reply!

So here's what I have: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU

I am not gaming at all on this PC so I'm not concerned about that, does it mean that just for Octane and some other types of rendering software, Ti should be ok? Would this connector serve the purpose?: Gigabyte AORUS NVLINK BRIDGE 3-Slot
(Supports 2 way SLI on NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti/2080 series graphics card, Optimized for 4K+ resolution, RGB fusion – 16.7M customizable color lighting, 3 PCI-E slot)

And lastly, please find attached an image of the specs of my motherboard https://imgur.com/XwosKsm . I know I could probably figure it out myself, but you clearly are more qualified and it'd feel more safe :). If this setup is going to work, I will order it all together. And which one of the two cards I posted in thread would be better?

Thanks so much for your time

Soldato
For your use case just get the cheaper card. As you're not gaming you don't need the NVlink connector for that render software. That said, I would double check the manuals for your other software for mention of NVlink. It may be that your software can do interesting things with linked GPUs. If they can, then you should gert another RTX 2080, not a 2080 Ti.

And you'll be fine installing it yourself. Take the backplates out of the two slots on the case, plug in the GPU, and plug in the power cables. Job done.

Associate
OP
For your use case just get the cheaper card. As you're not gaming you don't need the NVlink connector for that render software. That said, I would double check the manuals for your other software for mention of NVlink. It may be that your software can do interesting things with linked GPUs. If they can, then you should gert another RTX 2080, not a 2080 Ti.

And you'll be fine installing it yourself. Take the backplates out of the two slots on the case, plug in the GPU, and plug in the power cables. Job done.
Thank you, so would it be worth getting two of RTX 2080s instead of one Ti with my current setup? I found this one: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB FANS, RGB LED, Metal backplate, Graphics Card 08G-P4-2183-KR - would two of those on top be fine power-wise?

In that case, do I get two NVlinks? (wouldn't mind spending a tiny bit extra if it gives me the ultimate safe setup)

Really appreciate your time

Soldato
So three cards total? That will be stretching your PSU to the limit and I would advise upgrading it. I don't believe NVLink will work three way on RTX 2080 GPUs. You will likely have to go to Nvidia's Quadro cards, about which I know little. And you should check that your software will use three GPUs.

Soldato
I would, hesitantly, say you was somewhat mis-sold the system you have now. You would have been better off with an AMD 3950x, even a low end threadripper(32c/64th), with a 2070/2080(ti), adding additional cards when your processor is limited to 8c/16th is not going to speed up things as much as you think - let alone 2 extra cards.

Don't get Quadros either, no need what-so-ever, you can add additional 2070/2080(ti)'s if you like but I think it would be a borderline waste of money.

What is the issue you are trying to solve? Your system can handle the extra card fine but you need to look into what way to best solve your issues, just throwing extra cards at it may not be the answer you are looking for.

Associate
OP
I would, hesitantly, say you was somewhat mis-sold the system you have now. You would have been better off with an AMD 3950x, even a low end threadripper(32c/64th), with a 2070/2080(ti), adding additional cards when your processor is limited to 8c/16th is not going to speed up things as much as you think - let alone 2 extra cards.

Don't get Quadros either, no need what-so-ever, you can add additional 2070/2080(ti)'s if you like but I think it would be a borderline waste of money.

What is the issue you are trying to solve? Your system can handle the extra card fine but you need to look into what way to best solve your issues, just throwing extra cards at it may not be the answer you are looking for.

Hey hominid, I don't have an issue with my PC - I'm just building up a setup which makes rendering faster - Octane Render which is a GPU based software can use multiple (even differing) graphic cards from Nvidia - they just support each other and speed up the rendering process. I won't ever use this PC for gaming, so that's not a problem.

So three cards total? That will be stretching your PSU to the limit and I would advise upgrading it. I don't believe NVLink will work three way on RTX 2080 GPUs. You will likely have to go to Nvidia's Quadro cards, about which I know little. And you should check that your software will use three GPUs.

Thanks Quartz, if the PSU needs an upgrade, I could consider it. And Octane supports 4 separate GPUs so that should be ok

Soldato
Hey hominid, I don't have an issue with my PC - I'm just building up a setup which makes rendering faster.

Then you should have gotten either a threadripper/(3950x3900x) base system and start from there. Yes you will see an improvement, but it will be small as you add a graphics card you shift the bottleneck to the CPU and with 8c/16th the 9900k is fairly limited for your work-flow - that's why I said you've been slightly miss-sold.

You've bought a consumer system when a HEDT system would have been better for you. You are limited by the system you've bought, yes you can make it faster but the changes will be small compared to the other systems I mentioned - it's your money though. :)

Back
Top Bottom