Adding an ultrawide to my setup

Soldato
I've currently got a LG 27" GL850 144Hz 1440p monitor and it's great. However I'm now thinking off adding another IPS panel in ultrawide flavour. I'm OK with curved.

I'm not looking to spend top dollar but would like the best compromise on a good 144Hz option to compliment the LG.

Thanks.

Associate
The Iiyama (curved and non curved IPS) or gigabyte (curved VA) offerings can be had for £400, both 144Hz. In fact the Iiyama non curved one can be had for £350.

**EDIT** And I just realised you said IPS so ignore the Gigabyte one then :)

Associate
Thanks Double07. The Iiyama was on my radar so I'll do some more research on them.

I have the non curved one and its fantastic *but* I'm not waiting on my 3rd panel as the first one had a known issue with the right side of the screen freezing and the replacement was DOA. If you are lucky enough to get a good one then it's a steal but there are definitely some issues as quite a few people have experienced issues with them. Not saying that this is unique to Iiyama, just that it's the only one I've owned, at least until my AW320DW arrives in the next few days so we'll see if paying double the price of the Iiyama actually is worth it or not!

Soldato
OP
I have the non curved one and its fantastic *but* I'm not waiting on my 3rd panel as the first one had a known issue with the right side of the screen freezing and the replacement was DOA. If you are lucky enough to get a good one then it's a steal but there are definitely some issues as quite a few people have experienced issues with them. Not saying that this is unique to Iiyama, just that it's the only one I've owned, at least until my AW320DW arrives in the next few days so we'll see if paying double the price of the Iiyama actually is worth it or not!

That's good to know, thanks.

How do you find viewing the edges of the flat UW monitor? When I switched from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p it took a while to get used to the monitor width, which is why I'm thinking of going curved.

Associate
That's good to know, thanks.

How do you find viewing the edges of the flat UW monitor? When I switched from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p it took a while to get used to the monitor width, which is why I'm thinking of going curved.

Yeah it's kinda weird at first but honestly after a few hours I barely noticed it. I think it's actually a bit more natural to me than my 32" 16:9 monitor just because our vision is naturally much wider than it is tall but we've gotten so used to 16:9 that it feels normal. I guess it's like anything, moving from 4:3 to 16:9 was weird for everyone but you couldn't go back. I haven't had a curved screen, of any aspect ratio so I can't really compare those I'm afraid, although when the dell arrives it's 34" curved so I'll have more of a reference point then.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah it's kinda weird at first but honestly after a few hours I barely noticed it. I think it's actually a bit more natural to me than my 32" 16:9 monitor just because our vision is naturally much wider than it is tall but we've gotten so used to 16:9 that it feels normal. I guess it's like anything, moving from 4:3 to 16:9 was weird for everyone but you couldn't go back. I haven't had a curved screen, of any aspect ration so I can't really compare those I'm afraid, although when the dell arrives is 34" curved so I'll have more of a reference point then.

I guess I need to start sitting a little further away from the screen! As I get older I do find myself drawing closer to the screen.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll do some serious thinking over the next few hours :)

Back
Top Bottom