Adding extra fans

Associate
Hi guys,

I picked up a PC from facebook and don't think it has enough cooling. It will be used in an office as a video editing and render machine so will need to be kept cool but also quiet.

Currently there is only one fan brining air into the case the corsair fan and radiator for the processor at the top it is pulling air in.

As you can see the case has space for fans at the top and also at the front.

I was thinking about simply adding a 140 fan to the front to pull air in and let the heat rise out the top but wasn't sure if I should add another fan to the top. To act as an exhaust?

Also that would mean the fan at the front and the back are both pulling air into the case would that course a problem?

Thank you for any help

Alex

Soldato
What temperatures are you getting, at the end of the day that is all that matters.

More fans running at slower speeds is my usual choice.. Noctua low speed fans, put two in the top blowing out.

Associate
Well the accepted norm is to have one fan at the front as an intake and one at the rear blowing air out. Not to say you can't be inventive though. I would think that what is essentially a single intake is not really enough.
It's pretty unusual to have just one intake at the back, because you will get issues with dust. I would remove one of the fans from the radiator. Then reverse the other so it's blowing out. Then place the other fan at the front of the case. Now it may sound odd but you could expect to see your CPU temp increase by doing this, but all the other temps will decrease and your graphics card will make less noise. You will also end up filtering all the air going in to the case, so fewer issues with dust. There may also be benefit to placing a second fan at the front of the case to ensure you have positive pressure in the case to further help avoid dust issues.
If you don't want to touch the radiator then buy a fan and place it at the front case as you suggested.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I picked up a PC from facebook and don't think it has enough cooling. It will be used in an office as a video editing and render machine so will need to be kept cool but also quiet.

Currently there is only one fan brining air into the case the corsair fan and radiator for the processor at the top it is pulling air in.

As you can see the case has space for fans at the top and also at the front.

I was thinking about simply adding a 140 fan to the front to pull air in and let the heat rise out the top but wasn't sure if I should add another fan to the top. To act as an exhaust?

Also that would mean the fan at the front and the back are both pulling air into the case would that course a problem?

Thank you for any help

Alex

What exactly do you have and what are your temps now?

My guess is switch the fans to be exhausting out the back with a couple of good front intake fans and you will be fine. You can get a twin-pack of PH-F140MP fans for £16.26 right now. That makes them £8.13 each Very good fans at very low price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Back
Top Bottom