ADSL Max Question?

Associate
csmager said:
Exactly what it says?

Downstream speed: 5952kbps
Upstream speed: 448kbps

How else can you put it? 5952kbps is high enough for the 5Mbps BRAS profile (after deducting overheads).
what i meant how fast is it 1meg etc :)

Caporegime
It makes no odds whether you're using the connection (from the perspective of transferring anything, not of it being in sync) or not.

Soldato
wigster said:
what i meant how fast is it 1meg etc :)

List of sync speeds/BRAS profile levels:

288K ¼M
576K ½M
1152K 1M
1728K 1½M
2272K 2M
2848K 2½M
3424K 3M
4000K 3½M
4544K 4M
5120K 4½M
5696K 5M
6240K 5½M
6816K 6M
7392K 6½M
7968K 7M
8128K 7.15M

For anyone that doesn't know BT limit the line to the above levels, depending on the line sync rate, with a BRAS profile.

e.g. if you're syncing at 4800kbps you can see from the above the BRAS profile should end up being 4Mbps.

It can take up to 3 days for the profile to update to a higher rate and Eclipse at least recommend you reboot the router everyday for those 3 days. If your sync rate drops below the threshold for a BRAS profile level the change is pretty much instant which is annoying if you only sync below that level as you have to wait for it to update.

Last edited:
Associate
i know you said that but i was asking because im still in the 10day period now its 6816 kbps which is 5meg but like i said its up down and i thought that the router was not a accurate thing to checy by

novice

Soldato
wigster said:
i thought that the router was not a accurate thing to checy by
It's the most accurate you're going to get. It may report attenuation and SNR margins with slight inaccuracies, but sync rates have to be spot on.

Soldato
ZenBroadband said:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 4.5Mbps or greater. The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set. If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase. Thank you for your interest.

Is this any good?

Soldato
Yes, you should get a decent line rate with MaxDSL on a line with that result on the checker BUT the checker has been known to be well off in a lot of cases (e.g. it estimated 3.5Mbps for me and I got just under 6000Kbps and I'm sure a lot of people have had it over estimate the speed.)

Basically the only way to find out the exact speed you'll get with MaxDSL is to try it, but http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php was pretty accurate for me.

Permabanned
If you look at your SNR and attenuation, work out what you will roughly get. Use some kind of tool to monitor your SNR fluctuation, recalculate with the lowest SNR you ever get, match this up with the BRAS profile, factor in contention in your area, then the contention at the ISP and that will give you your speed. :p

Soldato
Question:
How do I find out my SNR and contention ratio with NO router?
I only have a crappy Sagem USB ADSL modem for the time being (until I switch).

Cheers :)

Caporegime
Unless your modem has some mechanism to give you the stats, or your ISP can access them (eg through WOOSH), there aren't many options.

Soldato
eXSBass said:
Question:
How do I find out my SNR and contention ratio with NO router?
I only have a crappy Sagem USB ADSL modem for the time being (until I switch).

Cheers :)

From Google -

The "official" instructions are:-

1. Click on the Windows ‘Start’ button - this will then present you with the Start Menu.

2. Select ‘Programs’ - you will be presented with the list of programs on your computer, select ‘Sagem F@0st 800-840’ and then from the sub-menu that appears, select ‘DSLMON’.

3. This will bring up a small screen with the DSL status showing ‘transmit’ and ‘receive’ rates.

4. While this screen is visible, on your keyboard hold down the ‘Alt’ key and then press the letter ‘d’.

Current attenuation is shown in the "Attenuation" field, current signal-to-noise is shown in the "Margin" field.

The following information is available:-

~ Basic stats showing speed along with downstream attenuation and margin in top box.
~ Advanced tab with error counters and margin of both upstream and downstream.
~ Bin plot showing bits allocated to each frequency band. You have to press Reload to get the graph and it takes a while to arrive, so be patient
~ SNR plot showing the margin in each frequency band.

(Images kindly provided by Yarwell.)

You may not be able to access the modem stats because the diagnostics software has not been installed.

If this is the case then you will need to re-install the drivers, - to do this follow the instructions below which have kindly been provided by Yarwell.

Back
Top Bottom