ADSL Max Question?

Soldato
tolien said:
It's not guaranteed that the SNR margin will change - if you've got decent extensions it doesn't matter. It is, however, worth trying, and seeing if there's a change.
If there is, yep, go through installing a new filtered master faceplate. Only possible with NTE5 though, older sockets need a visit from your friendly BT engineer.

Isnt it actually illegal to tamper with the master socket itself? As its BT property?

Thats one of the reasons I had BT install mine (already had a NTE5).

Soldato
Dave2150 said:
Isnt it actually illegal to tamper with the master socket itself? As its BT property?

Thats one of the reasons I had BT install mine (already had a NTE5).

No, who told you that? :confused:

The faceplate is the bit of the NTE5 that you CAN touch.

Dave2150 said:
The 31st of march is not a launch date at all, its just the date when most of the exchanges will be upgraded to allow max connections.

No, it's the launch date of Datastream Max. There's no real information about IPStream Max yet.

Caporegime
Olly's right, it's perfectly allowed to change the bottom faceplate part of an NTE5. It's on the customer side of the demarcation point, I guess.

Soldato
OP
(Another) MaxDSL Question.

Hi guys,

I’ve another question.... :)

With the 31st just around the corner and the potential speed increase on my current 1 MB (Max available) line a real possibility I was thinking?

If in the morning say, my SNR is 10 dB and my Att. is 51 dB, according to the FAQ calculator I should be able to get 1282kbps on my line? But if at night say my SNR goes as high as 14 dB the calculator says that my line might be capable of 1963kbps :D

So, what I would like to know is; is MaxDSL going to stabilise my fluctuating SNR and give my one constant speed, or, will I get one speed in the morning and one different speed in the evening :rolleyes:

Cheers,

SW.

Caporegime
Suspect the "maximum stable rate" the DLM kit will see is what you get at the lower SNR margin. At the very least, if you sync up at the higher rate, when the SNR margin drops, you'll lose sync/accrue loads of errors.
Time'll tell, including when all the regrades are done.

Associate
Dave2150 said:
To make sure you get the maximum speed from MAXDSL, you need to prepare.

With my filtered faceplate installed, I get the same SNR as I do connected to the BT master test socket.

This will provide you with the best possible speed when Max DSL launches.
I'm glad I bought a BT faceplate now, just in time for the Max DSL launch :cool:

Dave2150 said:
I had BT to install mine, cost me £130, but its money well spent if you are not confident enough to mess around with your home wiring
I found it easy to fit.
I just undone the existing screws of the standard faceplate, fitted the new faceplate and screwed it into place.

It took me about 5 minutes and saved me paying £130 :D

As far as I know, fitting the BT faceplate isn't illegal as like Tolien says it is on the customer side.

However fiddling with the wiring going into the faceplate is BT's property and that is illegal.

Soldato
9761 said:
Im looking forward to this now, as atm I can only get 1mb

Bulldog are not doing maxdsl as far as i know the products on their site are to do with LLU if your like me and live in the sticks no chance of that.

Your find most of the providers will be doing varied caps from 50gb - 100gb with Maxdsl due to has to go through Bt central.

Caporegime
Max doesn't mean Centrals have to be used - there's a DataStream Max too - so there's also no guarantee Bulldog won't offer something using Max (since IIRC most non-LLU BD is DS).

Suspended
I've just put my number through the Pipex number checker and it says I should be able to get about 6mb. The BT checker says between 6-8mb. So i logged into Pipex to regrade and the option to go to 'up to 8mb' isn't listed yet. Guess I'm gonna have to wait (which i expected tbh).

Associate
Put my regrade through today on Nildram, be interesting to see what speed I actually end up with, but the checker says 6Mb .

Soldato
Mook said:
I've just put my number through the Pipex number checker and it says I should be able to get about 6mb. The BT checker says between 6-8mb. So i logged into Pipex to regrade and the option to go to 'up to 8mb' isn't listed yet. Guess I'm gonna have to wait (which i expected tbh).

I was just about to ask this question as well about it not showing up.

I'm on the Home Office package and was wondering if i'm just limited to the Business side of things, and not able to regrade to Pipex Max.

Also in regards to throttling, I heard that these new packages introduce it. Do they only do it during peak hours?

Soldato
Does anyone know what the deal is with regards to MAX giving you less speed than you currently have?

For instance, I have 512kb ADSL and it reckons about 500 is what i'll get if so
thats slower (slighty :p ).

Current line stats:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 22.0 21.0 dB
Line Attenuation 59.6 31.5 dB

Do have about 300 CRC errors from the past 70 days connected. Does that mean much?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom