ADSL Max Question?

Soldato
Aye, one of the problems living in the middle of nowhere ;)

Im pretty sure than my line is quite long at least 3-4 miles probably more which doesn't help.

As long as i'll get the same speed as im getting now i'll be happy, anything extra is a bonus :D

Soldato
Deathwish said:

Im pretty sure than my line is quite long at least 3-4 miles probably more which doesn't help.

As long as i'll get the same speed as im getting now i'll be happy, anything extra is a bonus :D

With an SNR like that you're pretty much guaranteed to get a bit more out of the line...it certainly wont sync at less than that (aside from any technical glitches)

Associate
Not wanting to make another adsl max topic my question is if my
exhange is enabled for adsl max do i have to wait for my isp (bt) to upgrade me? as i see no options to upgrade on their site etc

Associate
Yes, you need your ISP to change your line over, BTW will not alter anything without their involvement.

Soldato
Pretty sure BT Retail are upgrading all their customers for free, so it's just a case of sitting back and waiting.

Could be quite a while before everyone is regraded.

Caporegime
No bulk upgrade tool until (apparently) the 24th of April, so it's unlikely most ISPs will even be submitting regrade requests till then - and the history of the last bulk upgrade scheme is hardly confidence-inspiring...

Caporegime
tolien said:
No bulk upgrade tool until (apparently) the 24th of April, so it's unlikely most ISPs will even be submitting regrade requests till then - and the history of the last bulk upgrade scheme is hardly confidence-inspiring...
Nildram submitted a lot today, they put fastpath orders through manually, mines showing as ordered with BT and an install date of the 8th April.

Soldato
tolien said:
If there is, yep, go through installing a new filtered master faceplate. Only possible with NTE5 though, older sockets need a visit from your friendly BT engineer.

I have a bare wire coming in to my flat which ends in a normal faceplate... there isn't a test socket or anything like that. Is that an old style socket then? Worth me getting a filtered face plate?

At the moment I'm on BT IPStream 2MB with F2S. SNR swings from 5 to 12, but it's about 9dB most of the time. Attenuation is 63dB. Connection is stable (never disconnects or anything, gaming pings are ok), but I am getting loads of "Fast path CRC errors"; near end indicator 210, far end indicator 19575... what ever that means!

Is it worth me trying to fiddle a MAX upgrade, or could that potentially steal bandwidth from me? Maybe I should just count my blessings!

Cheers,

Suman

Soldato
Deathwish said:

Im only 2.8KM from exchange and the checker says 1.5-2mbit for me.

The BT engineer says the line is 3.4KM, but it mainly made of aluminium, so I get a very poor signal.....

Caporegime
PiKe said:
Nildram submitted a lot today, they put fastpath orders through manually, mines showing as ordered with BT and an install date of the 8th April.

So did Zen, Plusnet, Enta, A&A...

I have a bare wire coming in to my flat which ends in a normal faceplate... there isn't a test socket or anything like that. Is that an old style socket then?

Yes.

Worth me getting a filtered face plate?

Maybe.

Is it worth me trying to fiddle a MAX upgrade, or could that potentially steal bandwidth from me?

You're not going to get much (if any) more anyway.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

So it seems mine, and nearly everyone else’s exchange DID get upgraded yesterday?

Well done BT.

Now, according to various sources apparently my line can now support up to 3 MB?

Samknows.
samknows5kx.jpg

BT Wholesale.
btw0dj.jpg

Pipex, my ISP.
pipex0qq.jpg

And my stats…
stats3cd.jpg

I don’t think is it worth upgrading to Pipex’s MAX service if I can only get 3 MB But should I take them up on the offer of a free 2 MB upgrade?

I worried though because when I first signed up with them they put me on a 2 MB DSLAM and I had 3 months of constant loss of sync, speed issues and days upon days of down-time?

But with this new MAX service, there should be anymore of these problems should there? Because your line only syncs at the fastest speed possible doesn’t it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks,

SW.

Associate
some info for pipex users

i have spoken to their sales team this morning and BT have told them to tell everyone to call back in 2 weeks

if you are a new customer you can order now

so i said ok im out of my 12 months i will kill the connection and start and ................(sales team)no no if you do that you will be black listed and we will not take you back as a new customer :rolleyes:

hmmm ok i said how long to get my MAC code ....oh that will be 30 days :mad:

looks like they have us by the short and curlies !!!!

Soldato
Got my order submitted by Zen yesterday morning and got a regrade date by BT for April 3rd ;)

Dear James,

We have received a confirmed date from BT for the work to be completed at the exchange with regard to your ADSL service speed regrade order.

Your service regrade will take effect at a time between 8.00am and 11.59pm on the date shown below:

Regrade date: 03/04/2006

Caporegime
Sumanji said:
Thanks Tolien... so what exactly is a Fast Path CRC Error, and can I/do I need to do anything to stop them (apart from regrading the line to 512k :p)

Google is your friend. Fast path's not (massively) important (other than on Max, you don't have an option).

Depends how many you're getting in a given time interval - 20000 over 6 weeks isn't bad, 20000 in 6 minutes is.
Reducing sync rate/switching on interleaving would fix them (or at least reduce them). Cutting out dodgy extension wiring might help too.

Associate
I have been carefully watching my download speeds and they are normal speed (i.e. no increase in download speed is seen) so how can the rate-adaption work if my download speed is the same :confused:

Soldato
CurlyWhirly said:
I have been carefully watching my download speeds and they are normal speed (i.e. no increase in download speed is seen) so how can the rate-adaption work if my download speed is the same :confused:

Unless your ISP has put through for a regrade you aren't going to see a single bit of difference with your connection speed.

The exchange upgrades were BT Wholesale enabling the stuff, but you can't use it until your ISP asks them to transfer you over to it.

Associate
Phil99 said:
Unless your ISP has put through for a regrade you aren't going to see a single bit of difference with your connection speed.

The exchange upgrades were BT Wholesale enabling the stuff, but you can't use it until your ISP asks them to transfer you over to it.
Well I give up with AOL as they haven't got a clue what they are doing :mad:

Yesterday I contacted 'live help' and they said that they would contact BT on my behalf and put me on to Max DSL and now when I checked today they said that I have to register to go on to Max DSL.

They gave me a customer helpline (which is based in India) and I just got passed on to different departments and no one seemed to know what was going on :rolleyes:

I think I am changing ISP's when my current 12 month contract is up in around a months time as I've had enough :(

In my experience of using AOL the service is okay but their customer service has recently got a lot worse since transferring to India.

Back
Top Bottom